• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I'm looking for a custom leather sheath maker for this 10 1/2" Khukhri who can make me a LEATHER sheath/frog for the Khukhri the Chamak & The Kharda. (the "small knives").
    It does not have to be "Original" but I'm not interested in a "plastic thing with rivets" either. I'd like it to be someone fairly local as I assume they'll need the actual knives for the fit.
    Any thoughts welcome.
    eyVymPF.jpg

Flametamer

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2014
    Frederick County
    I have done two kukri Daps, but both were leather covered wood in the traditional style. I absolutely do not care for the leather and/or plastic sheaths that I see in the market today; they are too hard/complicated to draw from quickly, and I don't want to fumble with straps if I need it in a hurry. The folks that came up with the traditional leather covered wood style got it right. All that is needed is to properly match the knife to the Dap so as to provide the right amount of resistance to the draw to prevent the knife from falling out inadvertently. It's not all that hard, but it is uncommon here in the US.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    All-leather sheaths are destructive to a blade.

I absolutely agree that wood is best for the purpose; a leather cover is a nice finishing touch, and makes it easier for belt carry. Wood is the basic sheathing material world-wide, and protects the blade from corrosion while making it safe to carry.

justiw

Jan 26, 2012
    Subbed. Interested in smaller leather EDC sheaths if anyone has recommendations.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I have done two kukri Daps, but both were leather covered wood in the traditional style. I absolutely do not care for the leather and/or plastic sheaths that I see in the market today; they are too hard/complicated to draw from quickly, and I don't want to fumble with straps if I need it in a hurry. The folks that came up with the traditional leather covered wood style got it right. All that is needed is to properly match the knife to the Dap so as to provide the right amount of resistance to the draw to prevent the knife from falling out inadvertently. It's not all that hard, but it is uncommon here in the US.
    would you be interested in this as a project?
    I'd send you the old sheath & knife & gladly pay a fair price for a good one.

Flametamer

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2014
    Frederick County
    would you be interested in this as a project?
    I'd send you the old sheath & knife & gladly pay a fair price for a good one.

I'll have to take a pass on this opportunity right now. Deployed since early October; when (if) I get home, I have an enormous backlog of projects.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Is anyone in contact with this maker^^^
    They've had the knife & sheath since the end of January, I haven't even gotten a quote yet & they're not replying to e-mails!

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I'll be glad to.
    She called me yesterday & we went over what I wanted & what she thought practical. Very detailed conversation we're going with a non traditional semi-open back loader instead of a top loader. There will be a securing strap with a buckle using the blocker for a securing feature & it will be lowered slightly from the original to ease drawing such large (10 1/2") blade. Plain leather no embossing or fancy stuff.
    She setimated 7~10 days to make plus shipping.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    For a full custom including shipping & insurance back to me $155.oo
    Rainbow accessory is free, I think it's "my little pony" or something silly paracord! I'll mail you one if you want?

Last edited:

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Thanks for the info.

I got a boot knife from MT that, upon reflection, looks like a steak knife some cowboy swiped out of a restaurant.

I contacted the manufacturer, still existing in Germany, and they basically said they have no records, and they made a shit pot of the knives sold all over the world.

I'll contact that vendor and see what they suggest.

I don't wear boots so IDK. I guess I'm looking for a sheath that works to complete the knife.

Appreciate the info.

The spurs I bought are another story!

LOL

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Could you get a neck knife scabbard on a thong & simply hang it round the neck under a shirt?
    Just thinking outside the box!
    1656360599662.png

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    My knife is 10.5" total with a 6.5" blade. After playing around with the neck sheath concept IDK if that's the route I want to go. Might impale my special purpose and kill myself; or wish I was dead.

Open to other suggestions.

I think OP got a fair price on the sheath he got; subject to his receipt and report.

20220627_153709.jpg

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    My knife is 10.5" total with a 6.5" blade. After playing around with the neck sheath concept IDK if that's the route I want to go. Might impale my special purpose and kill myself; or wish I was dead.

Open to other suggestions.

I think OP got a fair price on the sheath he got; subject to his receipt and report.

View attachment 370747
    Eruby approves of your worries

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom