• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    [EDIT- PHOTOS BELOW]

So I took my gen 4 17 to the range for second time and it shot flawlessly. 100 rounds on the odometer so far and no issues shooting.

When I went to clean it, I noticed that the slide seems to shift to right (out of alignment for sure) when I attempt to remove or add the slide during a field strip. With very little force, the slide will indeed go forward/backward but it just doesn't feel right. Every time i've done/seen a field strip, the slide shifts forward (off the gun) like butter.

I have very little experience with striker fired pistols so I don't want to force the thing and do more damage. It's as if the trigger bar is pushing the slide out of wack.

Any help/ideas would be GREATLY appreciated. If no one knows what's up, I'll run some video or take pictures.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Please make sure to get pics of the takedown releases when you do.

Scottysan

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2008
    Maryland
    might be worth running by a gunsmith and have them function check it... but these guys are right about needing pics to see a problem... and they've got mad experience with Glocks

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    Please make sure to get pics of the takedown releases when you do.

Will post pics later tonight.

Sorry for ignorance...where are takedown releases? I'm blanking on that.

Thanks guys.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    de5423d075e5eb56455585593250782c_zpsd565872c.jpg

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I know there's proper nomenclature for them (tabs, pins) but darn if I knew what it was when I wrote that. mpdc is correct, make sure to get us pictures of them while the slide seems "off".

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    Ok, so I'm just showing where this issue is as far as I can tell and also various other shots for you Glock troubleshooters!

SO AS SOON AS THE TRIGGER BAR ENTERS THAT CHANNEL, THE SLIDE SHIFTS AND IS DIFFICULT TO PULL BACK. IT SEEMS TO HANG UPON ENTRY AND AGAIN ABOUT AN INCH FURTHER DOWN THE CHANNEL.

A.jpg

B.jpg

C.jpg

ANOTHER SHOT OF THE BAR
    D.jpg

YOU CAN SEE THE SLIDE IS GOING SIDEWAYS.

E.jpg

F.jpg

G.jpg

H.jpg

I.jpg

J.jpg

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    One thing I did just think of is that I put it in my range back with the action open and transported it home that way. Could I have bent a rail or the trigger bar? I never dropped the bag and it was in a padded pouch.

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    Slide shown> I noticed that the recoil spring was slightly out of the half-moon groove but put it back in. Problem persisted.

K.jpg

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    might be worth running by a gunsmith and have them function check it... but these guys are right about needing pics to see a problem... and they've got mad experience with Glocks

Yea. I'll probably do that eventually but it's 9/14 and gun shops are a little busy with SB281 two weeks away. I guess I could go to VA, right? They wouldn't be mobbed like our shops are.

But I'm hoping our MDS community identifies a simple issue like stuck striker or something (free/fixable). I just received this thing...hope I didn't screw it up or receive a lemon.

Dec 6, 2011
    I think it's perfectly normal. The slide deflects right to capture the new style trigger bar with the bump and then deflects left to capture the ejector and then slides right onto the rear rails. It is more evident with the new style trigger bar. The old style had more clearance and it wasn't something you would even notice. I do not see this when inspecting agency guns from 2002. I see it all the time on new production models.

Incidentally, people with .45s will be the most familiar with this. I think it was the first model with the -1 tirgger bar to have the bump that better aligns the trigger bar onto the firing pin stop. This was a result of the LAPD fail to fire fix.......better alignment of the trigger bar for better disengagement of the firing pin block.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I think it's perfectly normal. The slide deflects right to capture the new style trigger bar with the bump and then deflects left to capture the ejector and then slides right onto the rear rails. It is more evident with the new style trigger bar. The old style had more clearance and it wasn't something you would even notice. I do not see this when inspecting agency guns from 2002. I see it all the time on new production models.

I second this

Also if your having issues with the slide not going back completely after a field strip its because your engage the firing pin. I've heard on gen 4s its caused by pointing the gun in an upward direction when removing the slide. Personally I wouldn't know why that's caused but you then have to release the firing pin from the bar and reattach the slide, then it will go into battery properly.

When you field strip point the gun down.......stand by ill find a YouTube for you. I remember when these came out his was a confusing issue a lot of people were having, well that and recoil spring issues.

Edit: sorry I read your OP wrong I thought there were two issues and not just one. See the post above me for the correct answer hahaha

covertpanda

Penguin Hunter
    Sep 10, 2013
    Carroll
    I am not an expert at all...but I have also noticed that difference between Gen 4's and older glocks. I have a 35Gen4 and the first time I field stripped it the slide went back on and stopped slightly; I checked my alignments and tried again, same problem. I had never had this problem on older glocks. It does sound like the bump is what is stopping the slide (at least it was in my case). I just used a little more force and it went back on.

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    Thanks for your input, fellas. I'm starting to regain a normal heart-rate.

I'm still wondering why it seemingly changed overnight. One day, slides on like butter, the next I have to push it through?

Thanks for your input, fellas. I'm starting to regain a normal heart-rate.

I'm still wondering why it seemingly changed overnight. One day, slides on like butter, the next I have to push it through?

Stuff like that happens all the time; it's just unconscious differences in technique. Before you've developed the exact muscle memory in performing an action like that, there will be some variability in how you do it.

Another example, from me, was with my new holster for my Beretta M9. I was practicing draws the other day and had a hell of a time getting the gun to come out of it, where it had had no problems doing so the previous time. After some more attempts, I finally figured out that my draw angle needed some work. Sure enough, I adjusted my draw angle a bit and the pistol came right out of the holster, no problems.

Yet another example: I've only field-stripped and reassembled my Glock about three or four times so far, and have yet to notice any issues with the slide going on or off smoothly. I'm sure it'll happen to me at some point, though, haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom