Cecil county- distance from occupied dwelling for private shooting range?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I simply cannot find anything in the county code pertaining to distances, so does that mean there is no regulation on this for a private range on your own land? I know for hunting, it is 150 yards, but this is not for hunting. The closest neighbor's house is about 100 yards from the spot someone would be shooting from. Still haven't talked to them yet, but who knows, they might be assholes. I want to make sure my butt is covered. Biggest reason I need to be up and up is the money and effort that will go into making the range, ie a very well made and nice backstop. Property is 2 contiguous parcels equaling 19 acres.

Billy Bones

Flagoneer
    Mar 27, 2012
    Grasonville, Md
    Might want to check with NRP. Here in QA county, we asked a sheriff and he didn't know and told us to check with NRP. Non-hunting, (i.e. plinking), is allowed w/in 100 yards of an occupied dwelling w/ expressed written permission of the home owner. Luckily, our neighbor likes to shoot also.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I could never find a published distance either. Anyone who states a distance make certain you get the specific reference in law and look it up yourself. Even police officers will make things up when they don't know the answer.

You are more likely to have a problem if it is close to an occupied dwelling and they don't like the noise or other activities going on. They can make problems in other ways even if it is a legal range so best advice is talk to your neighbors up front and get them to buy into the idea, even if you have to adjust your plans or shooting hours to accommodate them. Remember here in Ceciltucky country ways are still strong. You will then have community support and be happily shooting for many years and once you have time on your side any new comers will have a much harder time if they try to shut you down.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    As long as you are not in the town limits (Northeast/Elkton/Rising Sun/etc) it seems it's up to your neighbors. In my area, we all shoot whenever we feel like it or when we are banging vermin. Most of the houses are within 100 yards of each other with farms in between. No one calls the cops so we shoot. I have someone over the hill with a MG, he/she like to cut loose on the weekends. My neighbor on top of the hill likes to shoot hogs with his 30.06. Another below me cuts loose anytime day or night. I function fire from my front porch but I have ranges to do drills. But I would check the county web site regularly as they are changing things in Elkton all the time. Chris

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    Resurrecting an old thread.

I am thinking of building a 100 yard range on my property. (Already have a rimfire-only 50 yard.) The shooting bench would be greater than 150 yards from any adjacent dwelling. I anticipate constructing some kind of a three walled concrete target shed with a large piece of AR500 set an angle for bullet deflection from the targets. (In the forest, no ability to build a dirt berm.) The target shed would NOT be 150 yards from the nearest dwelling. (The guy who lives within 150 yards of the potential shed location is a complete A-hole whom we've had multiple issues with, and I am not concerned with annoying him.) Our property is outside of Elkton town limits, but within Cecil county, south of Chesapeake City.

Is anyone aware of MD or county regulations regarding personal/recreational range construction in CecilCo?

Yes - I will drop by the county offices and ask around there, but was wondering if any MDS'er had already gone through this.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom