• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vandrv

Oct 8, 2013
    Harford County
    I just got my Colt upper and took it out for a test spin yesterday, and had problems getting the first round to chamber. I'm not sure what is causing this. I don't know it is because the gun is new, or my technique, or possibly the magazine. When I charge it, and pull the trigger, it doesn't fire. I then pull the charging handle again and it ejects the first round but still won't fire. I had this happen several times. Any suggestions as to what might cause this? I'm new to the AR platform, so go easy on me.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Is it really a problem getting a round to chamber? Meaning the bolt won't close all the way? I assume you mean the round goes into battery and the bolt fully closes but the rifle won't fire. Assuming the safety lever is off, you might have a bad firing pin, BCG not assembled correctly, or the safety is not disengaging inside the lower receiver. Is your lower receiver known good?

silanehead

Sarcastic Member
    Oct 24, 2012
    Dundalk
    Sometimes a new upper just needs a little break in.
    Oil it, then work the charging handle 50 or so times then wipe clean and re- oil.
    You'll see the sliding surfaces on the bolt carrier begin to get shiny.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I just got my Colt upper and took it out for a test spin yesterday, and had problems getting the first round to chamber. I'm not sure what is causing this. I don't know it is because the gun is new, or my technique, or possibly the magazine. When I charge it, and pull the trigger, it doesn't fire. I then pull the charging handle again and it ejects the first round but still won't fire. I had this happen several times. Any suggestions as to what might cause this? I'm new to the AR platform, so go easy on me.

Describe every step of loading the round in to the chamber and pulling the trigger, in detail. Another thing, what is it chambered in: Is it .223, 5.56, or .223 Wylde?

Possible options are: You need a new firing pin because yours is out of spec, the hammer springs are installed backwards in your lower, your chamber isn't reamed out properly, or your ammo/mag might be the issue. Have you tried a different BCG? Have you tried a different firing pin? Have you looked at the trigger/hammer springs in your lower? Have you tried a different brand of ammo and a different mag? Have you gone to a gunsmith and asked them to run go/no go gauges on your chamber?

vandrv

Oct 8, 2013
    Harford County
    Thanks for the replies. To answer some of these questions, the rifle capable of 223 and 556. It appeared that the bolt fully closed, and when I pulled the trigger it did feel like it was firing. After a few tries it did start working as it should, at least the few rounds I fired. I'm thinking that was either operator error, in riding the bolt forward, or it may be a mag problem. The only magazine I have for it, is a plastic Magpul. I bought the upper used, but it looks new, so I will try to break it in some before I take it to the range.
    I'm guessing the problem, though is either the magazine or me.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    It's not the magazine if the round is chambered, bolt fully closed, and the round doesn't detonate when you pull the trigger. As Alphabrew said, if the bolt and upper chamber aren't well lubricated with oil, that's the first issue to correct. Did you give the disassembled bolt, upper chamber, and barrel bore a thorough cleaning before you went to the range? If not, that's another issue to correct. The firing pin chamber in the bolt could be stuffed with packing grease.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It's got to be one of these things. At least a starting place. Sounds like a combo of new rifle, dry rifle, and needing a little break-in. Don't forget to whack the forward assist a couple times before you pull the trigger for the first re-try.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Is this a lower you built yourself? Post a picture of the hammer and spring inside the lower.

And don't get freaked out, but people sell uppers for a reason.

Maybe Bubba "Customized" it and sold it after his customization didn't work. Have the rifle looked at by a competent Gunsmith.

Helpinghand

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 3, 2016
    MA
    AR

How is the pin?

Just asking not knowing

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I'm guessing riding the bolt with the charging handle... stick in an empty mag, pull the CH back all the way til the bolt locks back.. push the charging handle back into place.. now stick in a fresh loaded mag and use the bolt release to drop the bolt and chamber the first round.... does it load?

I am thinking you didn't have the bolt all the way home... close, but not quite and the trigger will fire, but it won't go bang... lol

Simple fix... let the bolt go forward on the spring pressure and don't hold it back. ;)

vandrv

Oct 8, 2013
    Harford County
    I'm guessing riding the bolt with the charging handle... stick in an empty mag, pull the CH back all the way til the bolt locks back.. push the charging handle back into place.. now stick in a fresh loaded mag and use the bolt release to drop the bolt and chamber the first round.... does it load?

I am thinking you didn't have the bolt all the way home... close, but not quite and the trigger will fire, but it won't go bang... lol

Simple fix... let the bolt go forward on the spring pressure and don't hold it back. ;)

I tried your suggestion and it worked as it should. Until I can get out to the range, and try it out again, I'm going to guess my problem is either lack of lubrication, or bad technique. I did clean and lube the gun before I tried it out, but perhaps not enough. And I'm sure I didn't let the charge handle go wiith enough force.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If the gun goes into battery?

Yes. As the bolt slams into battery, the free floating pin(if you will) slides forward from the momentum until it bumps the primer of the cartridge in the chamber leaving a little ding in said primer.

MKR03

Apr 1, 2014
    State of Montgomery
    If the gun goes into battery?

Insert a mag with the action open. Drop the bolt, then eject the round and take a look at the primer. Hence the cardinal rule "always point your muzzle in a safe direction." Even if the firing pin doesn't (or shouldn't) hit the primer with enough energy to send the round down range, you should be aware that the pin will make contact with the primer even with your finger off the trigger.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    I prefer to use the ping pong bolt paddle release button, the majority of the time, over using the charging handle to charge up the AR, because of the certainty that the bolt will fully close. Press checks are done by pulling back the charging handle till you see brass and then drive the bolt forward with the charging handle till it fully seats.

Nighttime press checks are done by relinquishing control of the gun, by pulling back the charging handle far enough to get your finger in to feel brass, drive the bolt forward and then put your finger on the thumb indentation on the bolt carrier to feel if the bolt is fully closed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom