• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Yes. As the bolt slams into battery, the free floating pin(if you will) slides forward from the momentum until it bumps the primer of the cartridge in the chamber leaving a little ding in said primer.

Yes, that was my point. IF the gun does NOT go into battery the firing pin CANNOT touch the primer.

vandrv

Oct 8, 2013
    Harford County
    There were no visible marks on the primers of the ejected rounds. Once I was sure there was a round in the chamber the rifle seemed to work normally. I'm sure it is probably my newness that caused the problem.

MKR03

Apr 1, 2014
    State of Montgomery
    There were no visible marks on the primers of the ejected rounds. Once I was sure there was a round in the chamber the rifle seemed to work normally. I'm sure it is probably my newness that caused the problem.

Even the ones where you pulled the trigger and it went "click" and not "bang?" Not even light primer strikes? Insert a mag with the bolt locked to the rear. Send the bolt home using the bolt catch, then eject the round. Is there a mark on the primer? If there are no marks on the primer in either case, the bolt isn't going into battery for some reason (maybe as simple as lack of lube on your BCG).

vandrv

Oct 8, 2013
    Harford County
    Even the ones where you pulled the trigger and it went "click" and not "bang?" Not even light primer strikes? Insert a mag with the bolt locked to the rear. Send the bolt home using the bolt catch, then eject the round. Is there a mark on the primer? If there are no marks on the primer in either case, the bolt isn't going into battery for some reason (maybe as simple as lack of lube on your BCG).

I will give that a try and see what happens.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Has the headspace been checked?

I had a similar issue with a new factory rifle. It turns out it has a VERY tight chamber. And ammo MUST meet SAAMI specs or it will not let the bolt close from dropping the bolt. The drag of the charging handle (fully released) will cause issues. Once you get the bolt closed on the first round, it was fine.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    If there's no clear indent on the primer, check the firing pin/stricker and hammer spring (as relevant).
    If there's a good, clear indent on the primer, check your ammo.

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    I would disassembly and reassemble the bolt carrier group. Maybe the firing pin retaining pin is in front of where it needs to be which would prevent the firing pin from going completely forward.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    Sometimes a new upper just needs a little break in.
    Oil it, then work the charging handle 50 or so times then wipe clean and re- oil.
    You'll see the sliding surfaces on the bolt carrier begin to get shiny.
    This^ I had the same problem with my Stag at first.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    First you said...

Take a good look at the primer in the ejected case, does it have a mark from the firing pin hitting it?

...and then Skins_brew offered this...

Well, the firing pin will usually leave a mark on every primer, regardless of if the round is actually fired.

...and then youASKED this...

If the gun goes into battery?

...and then I offered this...

Yes. As the bolt slams into battery, the free floating pin(if you will) slides forward from the momentum until it bumps the primer of the cartridge in the chamber leaving a little ding in said primer.

You have yet to make your point until now...

Yes, that was my point. IF the gun does NOT go into battery the firing pin CANNOT touch the primer.

I merely stated this...

[/B]

This ? made it a question, not a point.
    ...and you finished with this non sequitur...

Yes it was a question, the answer was NO.

Please, if you are trying to help someone, don't play word games. We are not playing 40 questions here. Just trying to help people. I seem to remember you having a function problem with an AR and we all worked through several pages, as I recall, to help you.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Some people tend to over lube or over clean the FP (leaving too much CLP products) and you end up with pin that won't move well due to hydraulic pressure.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    So what was the remedy in your case?

Quality factory ammo. And resetting my sizing die for my reloads to have the loaded rounds drop fully into a Wilson case gauge.

Had the issue at the carbine class I did with their dummy rounds. Locked the rifle up twice to where we have to drive the dummy round out with a steel rod and a hammer.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Some people tend to over lube or over clean the FP (leaving too much CLP products) and you end up with pin that won't move well due to hydraulic pressure.

Since Clandestine recommends dipped the entire BCG into Mobil 1 and installing and running it, it is hard to see how you could overlube a firing pin.

Old sticky lube, yes, too much......

Dieselfool

Jun 19, 2013
    Westminster, Carroll County
    I noticed same issues with my new upper and BCG, just needed a break in and a little wear, runs like a top now, I completely dissemble BCG lube, reassemble, OVER LUBE the components, and rack the charging handle, fast and repeatedly 30-40 times, dissemble and inspect for wear marks (shiny) repeat as necessary. Wipe down and lightly oil then run a few rounds. clean, oil, and put away.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    First you said...

...and then Skins_brew offered this...

...and then youASKED this...

...and then I offered this...

You have yet to make your point until now...

I merely stated this...

...and you finished with this non sequitur...

Please, if you are trying to help someone, don't play word games. We are not playing 40 questions here. Just trying to help people. I seem to remember you having a function problem with an AR and we all worked through several pages, as I recall, to help you.

Yes you are correct. I need to work on my Sarcasm, I thought it was apparent. I know what I am thinking but the readers do not.
    My attempt is to make people think on their own rather than through out answers.
    I control what I send, Not how it is interpreted. Not the first time and not the last I am sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom