Jul 29, 2014
    It seems you are not alone lol!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    If you don't have them already: An AR15 chamber brush & chamber rod, AR15 lug recess cleaning tool & lug recess cotton patches from Sinclair International.

Besides the bolt & the inside of the bolt carrier...you'll only need to oil the outside front half of the bolt carrier, any excess oil on the last half outside rear of the bolt carrier, will tend to shed oil and have it congregate in the stock tube recoil spring housing.

You might want to check to see if your gas key tube bolts are tight an staked or peened on top of the bolt carrier. If debris is stuck in the bottom of the gas key tube...it might not fully go into battery.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Just for kicks and grins..............

Is this a CORRECT 5.56x45mm/.223/.223 Wylde barrel/chamber????????

Try this - make certain the rifle is unloaded.
    Take the Upper off of the lower, and remove the BCG and charging handle.

Carefully place a loaded FACTORY round into the chamber and see IF it drops in, completely.

Who knows????? Since this upper was bought 2nd hand, someone COULD HAVE screwed around with a chambering reamer.

:shrug:

Also, OP: Are you trying to chamber/fire FACTORY rounds, or, are you using reloads/handloads????????

vandrv

Oct 8, 2013
    Harford County
    Just for kicks and grins..............

Is this a CORRECT 5.56x45mm/.223/.223 Wylde barrel/chamber????????

Try this - make certain the rifle is unloaded.
    Take the Upper off of the lower, and remove the BCG and charging handle.

Carefully place a loaded FACTORY round into the chamber and see IF it drops in, completely.

Who knows????? Since this upper was bought 2nd hand, someone COULD HAVE screwed around with a chambering reamer.

:shrug:

Also, OP: Are you trying to chamber/fire FACTORY rounds, or, are you using reloads/handloads????????
    I used factory ammo. I will try your suggestion when I get home this evening, but I seriously doubt that anybody made any modifications. The upper looked brand new.

vandrv

Oct 8, 2013
    Harford County
    If you don't have them already: An AR15 chamber brush & chamber rod, AR15 lug recess cleaning tool & lug recess cotton patches from Sinclair International.

Besides the bolt & the inside of the bolt carrier...you'll only need to oil the outside front half of the bolt carrier, any excess oil on the last half outside rear of the bolt carrier, will tend to shed oil and have it congregate in the stock tube recoil spring housing.

You might want to check to see if your gas key tube bolts are tight an staked or peened on top of the bolt carrier. If debris is stuck in the bottom of the gas key tube...it might not fully go into battery.

I cleaned and lube the upper before I tried it out, but I don't have an AR specific cleaning kit or any AR tools. I guess I should look into it.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    I cleaned and lube the upper before I tried it out, but I don't have an AR specific cleaning kit or any AR tools. I guess I should look into it.

May I also suggest getting a AR15 cleaning rod guide tube, along with a non-jointed cleaning rod. Get bronze core cleaning brushes only.

I use a .17 caliber cleaning rod for patch work on my AR...because you can use slightly larger patches --- And a 223 rod for brush work.

I just spray the steel chamber brush with non-chlorinated brake cleaner, and rotate the chamber brush rod clockwise 12 times. Don't forget to use eye protection when using cleaning products such as this.

"It's not a question of if...but a matter of when."

quote: Chris Costa

vandrv

Oct 8, 2013
    Harford County
    Op if you really want to know your rifle consider taking one of Clandestine's classes. http://www.schooloftheamericanrifle.com

His class is very informative and well worth the money.
    I will certainly look into it. I'm the first to admit that I really don't know much about AR's. That is why I figure I'm likely the reason for the problem.

May I also suggest getting a AR15 cleaning rod guide tube, along with a non-jointed cleaning rod. Get bronze core cleaning brushes only.

I use a .17 caliber cleaning rod for patch work on my AR...because you can use slightly larger patches --- And a 223 rod for brush work.

I just spray the steel chamber brush with non-chlorinated brake cleaner, and rotate the chamber brush rod clockwise 12 times. Don't forget to use eye protection when using cleaning products such as this.

"It's not a question of if...but a matter of when."

quote: Chris Costa
    I don't have any tools specifically for cleaning an AR. I actually couldn't find a small enough jag to clean the barrel. Any good recommendations for an all in one cleaning kit for an AR?

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I will certainly look into it. I'm the first to admit that I really don't know much about AR's. That is why I figure I'm likely the reason for the problem.

I don't have any tools specifically for cleaning an AR. I actually couldn't find a small enough jag to clean the barrel. Any good recommendations for an all in one cleaning kit for an AR?
    If you have a decent cleaning rod, you just need this... and some cleaner and lube... ;)

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=183138

A 22 cal or 17 cal jag will work fine to clean the bore, patch size is important though, the hole is small!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom