For Caroline County (MD) folks.........................

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    The position of Circuit Court judge will be up for election this year. Currently, there are 2 candidates as the sitting judge withdrew from the election:

Nicholas Illif (https://www.facebook.com/IliffForJudge/)

Jonathan Newell (https://www.facebook.com/Newell-for-Circuit-Court-536184929897670/)

This is for a 15 year position so what we get will be for a long time. I know very little about Illiff other than he just recently moved to the County and served as a Clerk in the Anne Arundel Circuit Court.

Newell is from the Eastern Shore (Chestertown) and has lived in Caroline the past 15+ years serving as the State's Attorney for the past 12. He's an avid outdoorsman and hunter and a strong 2A advocate.

Please follow this election, despite being local given the Presidential election, as it directly affects our County in how criminals/thugs/dealers are dealt with at sentencing.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Good information to know. Thanks.

I think Mr. Newell was the prosecuting attorney in a murder trial I served on the jury for. Defendant was some sewage named Zenno.

I felt the atty did a good job and I was impressed that the alternate jurors were interviewed by the atty to see what they felt about the case and the prosecutors performance and looking for feedback.

choptank

Feb 13, 2016
    Kman, that was me.

Three people killed a man in his own living room over a dispute about a dog.

tmd99

Aug 22, 2015
    Frederick
    Good Luck Choptank! Never heard of the situation in which you find yourself. Is a sitting judge permitted to withdraw from an election by law? Doesn't that judge have to resign the position prior to election to make that effective? Interesting issue tied directly to courts in Maryland! Have you hired counsel to challenge?

choptank

Feb 13, 2016
    That's because its never happened. But rather than crack a book, have a hearing, or even give any formal notice of their decision, they based it on an opinion issued 34 years ago by the AG in response to a hypothetical question.

Last edited:

choptank

Feb 13, 2016
    For any further updates, please check Newell for Circuit Court on Facebook.

I will be sworn in the first week of August. In making the transition from State's Attorney to a judge, and even now as "judge designate", my public political activity is strictly limited. It is critical that every person that appears in court knows that they are going to be on a level playing field, and that the Constitution and the laws of the State are going to be fairly applied to all parties.

Therefore I must respectfully withdraw from participation in any public campaign, political or lobbying activities, including websites such as this, other than for my own election which will be in Caroline County as part of the 2018 gubernatorial election.

Thank you for your support.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    The people of Caroline County are getting a fine judge. Our loss is their gain. Hopefully you will still be able to visit here at least as a lurker to keep current on the community.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    God bless Mr. Newell. Illif doesnt sound like a local name to me, I never heard it at the ball field or anything but no bias here. My last personal contact with a local transplant was being questioned about deer hunting on a Sunday and then another wondering what I was doing on their road picking my kid up after shed horn hunting Mr. Paul's woods.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012

For any further updates, please check Newell for Circuit Court on Facebook.

I will be sworn in the first week of August. In making the transition from State's Attorney to a judge, and even now as "judge designate", my public political activity is strictly limited. It is critical that every person that appears in court knows that they are going to be on a level playing field, and that the Constitution and the laws of the State are going to be fairly applied to all parties.

Therefore I must respectfully withdraw from participation in any public campaign, political or lobbying activities, including websites such as this, other than for my own election which will be in Caroline County as part of the 2018 gubernatorial election.

Thank you for your support.

Good luck in your new job.

The people of Caroline County are getting a fine judge. Our loss is their gain. Hopefully you will still be able to visit here at least as a lurker to keep current on the community.

God bless Mr. Newell. Illif doesnt sound like a local name to me, I never heard it at the ball field or anything but no bias here. My last personal contact with a local transplant was being questioned about deer hunting on a Sunday and then another wondering what I was doing on their road picking my kid up after shed horn hunting Mr. Paul's woods.

Congratulations.

Congrats!

Glad to hear of your retirement!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom