What did you do at your reloading bench today?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    I finished decapping and wet tumbling about two thousand 9mm cases. I have the other 1000 decapped. I'll tumble them tonight. Next up is a 5 gallon bucket of 5.56 brass. Some of that will get chopped down and formed into 300 BO. The rest will go to feed SWMBO's new AR.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I got them done, but my 550B press was fighting me all the way. Specifically the primer feed wouldn't pick up a fresh primer from the magazine tube. With each stroke, I had to pull back on the slider to get a primer to drop.

I had this same problem while I was loading up some 40s. I ended up taking the tube out and replacing the blue plastic piece with a new one. Now it works.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Hmm, most of my shell holders have a slight groove where a high primer would slide in.

That must have been a VERY high primer.

Related to post:
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=4655634&postcount=156

I looked at my shell holders. I was looking at the ones that are for my Lee Hand Priming tool. Some have the groove that Pinecoin pointed out, some don't. I only looked at 3 of the holders that go with my dies and all had the grooves. I tossed an spent 9mm case into the kinetic w/ a shell holder and no way it would move enough to touch the primer. But the guy with the accident had something different.
    This just points out that people need to be aware of this possible issue when using a shell holder with a kinetic.

Last night and this morning, I was prepping 308, 9mm and 223 cases.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    I had this same problem while I was loading up some 40s. I ended up taking the tube out and replacing the blue plastic piece with a new one. Now it works.

I decided to struggle through the batch so I wouldn't have to unload the tube of primers. After finishing I replaced that blue plastic piece. Hopefully that will do the trick. One other tip that seems to help is to have the 2 screws barely snug...allowing a bit of self-alignment as the plate drops down over the primer cup.

The primer feed on the 550B is really the weak link in the system. It amazes me that they've never done a "product improvement" to incorporate a new design in all the years they've been making that model.

Joe

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Two hunert shiny 300 BLK bullets.

Mold is 230 grains, but the way the lead is alloyed they dropped at a consistent 217 grains.

They came out of the mold at .311 diameter and will be sized to .309 using a Lee sizing die and Liquid Alox.

Now fer da pitchers.

300 BLK Bullets 012.jpg

300 BLK Bullets 006.jpg

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Sized and deprimed about 400 9mm. Just need to pickup some Longshot powder this weekend at Frederick show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Two hunert shiny 300 BLK bullets.

Mold is 230 grains, but the way the lead is alloyed they dropped at a consistent 217 grains.

They came out of the mold at .311 diameter and will be sized to .309 using a Lee sizing die and Liquid Alox.

Wow those look great. How long does it take to cast that many?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Just finished depriming, resizing, trimming and pocket cleaning 100 cases in honor of Inauguration Day!

Attachments

• IMG_3484.jpg
      IMG_3484.jpg
      65.3 KB · Views: 250

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Got a good feel for shot shell reloading with my first 50 reloads last night. Really, really need to get a digital scale to speed up the periodic check-weight process.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I decided to struggle through the batch so I wouldn't have to unload the tube of primers. After finishing I replaced that blue plastic piece. Hopefully that will do the trick. One other tip that seems to help is to have the 2 screws barely snug...allowing a bit of self-alignment as the plate drops down over the primer cup.

The primer feed on the 550B is really the weak link in the system. It amazes me that they've never done a "product improvement" to incorporate a new design in all the years they've been making that model.

Joe

I struggled through a few sets of 100 and then it just stopped working, so I swapped it out for a new one.

I cranked out 10 rounds of 10mm. 5 with 180gr LFPs, 5 with 200gr LFPs. Both loaded with 9.9gr of Blue Dot. Then 100 rounds of .357 Magnum, using 9.9gr of Blue Dot and 158gr coated LFPs. I'm going to need another bottle of Blue Dot.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    What mold is that?
    What lube did you use?
    thx

Lee brand. 230 grain. x .309 diameter.

Liquid Alox lube. The boat tail design works really well as a guide. No need to flare the case mouth.

If interested, my lead mix is Tin 3.0 - Antimony 6.9 - Lead 90.1

Tried keeping the pot at 720 to 740 degrees. Pours well and really fills out the mold. Very hard bullet. Good for about 2,000 FPS.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Lee brand. 230 grain. x .309 diameter.

Liquid Alox lube. The boat tail design works really well as a guide. No need to flare the case mouth.

If interested, my lead mix is Tin 3.0 - Antimony 6.9 - Lead 90.1

Tried keeping the pot at 720 to 740 degrees. Pours well and really fills out the mold. Very hard bullet. Good for about 2,000 FPS.

how are you applying the alox? are you tubling then cleaning up after seating or are you heating the alox and just dipping?
    Have you shot it yet?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    how are you applying the alox? are you tubling then cleaning up after seating or are you heating the alox and just dipping?
    Have you shot it yet?

Tumble. Easy.

When dry, it's on there pretty good. Nothing in the instructions about removing it from bullet nose.

Will be shooting it next week. Fingers crossed for no key holing.

BALBZ

bad ass LBZ that is
    Apr 6, 2013
    Eastern Shore MD
    Nothing due to not having a bench yet LOL.

I will be fixing that problem today, my new bench will built and installed by the end of the weekend if everything goes as planned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom