• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I am looking for the closest I can get to a Vietnam era "AK-47" without going NFA or spending Polytech money. Just looking for a fixed stock, milled AK with wood furniture. I don't HAVE to have the flip out bayonet. I just want to get close. I also don't want scope rails. It seems like everywhere I search it is all modernized stuff. Even arsenals all have scope rails, and such. I'm completely fine with getting a rifle and swapping furniture, but I dont want to have to remove a scope mounting rail and have all the holes etc.

Any ideas are appreciated!

-Chris

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    If you are willing to give up the cleaning rod, look for a milled MAK-90. Basically a Polytech but without the huge markup (though still expensive). If you can find one in sporter configuration you can usually get a good value. Chinese are about the closest you can get to a real Russian milled. I converted mine.

A milled Yugoslavian is also a nice option, those already have the classic polished bolt.

The older milled Arsenals are your next best bet. Even if you get a newer one with a rail on the gas tube, it's easy to change out the tube itself. You'd be replacing the furniture anyway.

The folding bayo alone would cost you a pretty penny. There are some crappy bolt-ons out there, but to buy the original Chinese parts and install them would run close to the cost of a rifle itself. The folding bayos were only on a minority of Chinese AKs from what I understand so unless you are really set on one, no folding bayo would be more realistic.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Get yourself a milled Arsenal SLR-95 and slap some wood on it.

The SLR-95 has a 90 degree gas block, no cleaning rod loop on the gas block, no bayonet fangs on the front sight, and no sling loop on the rear of the receiver.

The closest you can get is a Chinese Polytech Legend. I think shooter ones are around $2k and new in box ones are pushing $3.5k. The only difference between that and an actual Type III AK-47 or Type 56 aside from the fun switch is the pinned barrel (they were originally threaded to the receiver).

Another option is to hunt down a Russian Type III build or find a parts kit and have it built yourself. There are a good number of them floating around. Some are built on rewelded receivers and will retail the original lightning cuts and markings.

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    Do you build ? Tortort makes a amazing milled 80% rec. in a few different patterns that and a milled bulgiran kit wwould be a nice milled gun.

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    I've never tried. I also have minimal tools right now. Hmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A guy on akfiles did one with a dermal and a press that's all. It would probably come out around the same price as a milled mak and you have the tools if you want to do another one

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I forgot, Century used to sell a milled Type III style AK called the 1960 Polish or something. It's probably the cheapest correct looking AK-47. The lightning cuts aren't the correct shape, the Polish wood is not amber shellac like the Soviet, and it has a slant brake. You could put a muzzle nut and Soviet furniture on it.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I am looking for the closest I can get to a Vietnam era "AK-47" without going NFA or spending Polytech money. Just looking for a fixed stock, milled AK with wood furniture. I don't HAVE to have the flip out bayonet. I just want to get close. I also don't want scope rails. It seems like everywhere I search it is all modernized stuff. Even arsenals all have scope rails, and such. I'm completely fine with getting a rifle and swapping furniture, but I dont want to have to remove a scope mounting rail and have all the holes etc.

Any ideas are appreciated!

-Chris

Alternate idea, and perhaps not what you are looking for, but the RPK is a good choice and if you can find an older century AES-10B for a good price, that would be an option. (I just looked on gun broker and the only one I saw was freaking $1999, which is insane for what was a $500 gun when I purchased it). Looks much like a vietnam era RPK though. There is also an M64 RPK on gunbroker for $900 that looked reasonably like a Vietnam era RPK. It depends on what your goal is, era authentic vs functionality as a lightweight AK rifle.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Alternate idea, and perhaps not what you are looking for, but the RPK is a good choice and if you can find an older century AES-10B for a good price, that would be an option. (I just looked on gun broker and the only one I saw was freaking $1999, which is insane for what was a $500 gun when I purchased it). Looks much like a vietnam era RPK though. There is also an M64 RPK on gunbroker for $900 that looked reasonably like a Vietnam era RPK. It depends on what your goal is, era authentic vs functionality as a lightweight AK rifle.

I do love RPKs. They have always been on my list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom