• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kiwiknoll

Jan 16, 2015
    Clarksville md
    So I really love my colt 1911ta .45, and started researching 22 conversion slides. Whew are they pricey. So then i switched to looking at a dedicated 1911-22. Now Ive found a browning 1911-22!

Its tiny, but feels good and looks really fun.

Has anyone owned one of these? Accurate? Is it as fun as it looks?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I have the 1911-380 and am certain the -22 version is a much better gun. Disappointed with the fit and finish for the price. The slide catch walked out while firing (and seized the gun up) and the mags were nearly impossible to insert without a hammer until I reworked the catch. Unless you buy one of the higher priced versions the sights are nearly invisible (Testors model paint fixes this).

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Have a Sig 1911-22 made by Walther. Love it but have to use mainly CCI mini mags or the equivalent. Basically due to the heavy slide. Fit and feel are just like my Sig 1911.

The Browning being discussed is not a true 1911, its 3/4 scale. Completely different from a real 1911 framed gun.

Kiwiknoll

Jan 16, 2015
    Clarksville md
    Mark,
    Thank you formthe reply. Yes, the 3/4 scale is very different from the full size frame, and i expect it to cycle just fine on federal 22s! That scale down size is part of the appeal for me though.... seems to make it a fun alternative to my mark 3 comp 22 and g22 with advantage arms 22 slide.

I am curios about the slide catch on your 380. Also the 22 i inspected earlier today had excellent fir and finish on the outside... Maybe i should ask them to strip it down for a closer look. Its an expensive 22 so the last thing i want is to be disappointed in what feels like an oddball purchase to begin with.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Mark,
    Thank you formthe reply. Yes, the 3/4 scale is very different from the full size frame, and i expect it to cycle just fine on federal 22s! That scale down size is part of the appeal for me though.... seems to make it a fun alternative to my mark 3 comp 22 and g22 with advantage arms 22 slide.

I am curios about the slide catch on your 380. Also the 22 i inspected earlier today had excellent fir and finish on the outside... Maybe i should ask them to strip it down for a closer look. Its an expensive 22 so the last thing i want is to be disappointed in what feels like an oddball purchase to begin with.

Cosmetic fit is different from functional fit. The slide catch/release has no detent angle against the detent pin in the detent spring tube; nothing really holds it in place, it moves from side to side too easily. Push it left and right from the normal assembled position and you will feel what I mean compared to starting moving the slide release for disassembly on a good 1911. Normally the detent pin locks into a notch or angle on the back of the lever to lock it in the assembled position.

Ask to be allowed to insert a loaded mag; the -22 may not have the problem that the -380 does with the poorly shaped mag catch vs spring tension of a full mag.

It only took me 10 or 15 minutes with a file to correct both of these problems, but at the price of the gun, I expected no such problems. In my opinion its an average gun for an above average price. That was the opinion of the online review from 1911.org as well.

Kiwiknoll

Jan 16, 2015
    Clarksville md
    This is excellent information, thanks now i know what to look for and can make an educated decision.

I may still go with the browning, but sure will spend some time looking at conversions as well as other options like the sig 1911 22... Or the sig mosquito...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom