• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I can't imagine why they are leaving? Has to be more to this story. They must have auck nearly $1m easy into that building/ range....why walk away from that?

It may not be the store or the family who ran it who has the money tied up in the building. The land under the building is owned by 'Twigg Family LP' which has an address colocated with a motorcycle shop in Hagerstown.

As it is a bit of a purpose built structure, I would expect that another firearms store will take its place.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Here is an article with comments from the owner:

https://www.heraldmailmedia.com/new...cle_f2f080fe-ac4a-5846-9d9a-0fa74595092f.html

cliff notes:

- hunting in MD is on the decline
    - the range saw lots of local competition
    - their online business has been growing
    - the space on National pike was leased
    - onerous regulations on firearms dealers in MD
    - 'its just a changing business'

I bet their lease was up for renewal and they realized that the additional cost of the fancy space with the range didn't contribute to the bottom line.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Yep, it's kind of a bad location. I loved it back in 19889 when Honda of Hagerstown was there which was probably pre Twigg. They had a ton of vintage '60's Hondas stored in the basement including a sister bike to my '68 50cc street bike.

My son helped with the range installation. Their store is too high end and that probably ran off the local crowd. The city folk have too many other options versus drive 60 miles to Hagerstown.

In Hancock there only real competition will be Hafer's and the pawn shop in Berkeley Springs. Haven't been to Hafers since they put all the used stuff on the wall 6' behind the counter and it lost the vibe of friendliness it had in Downsville. The pawn shop is amazing though with good prices.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    It may not be the store or the family who ran it who has the money tied up in the building. The land under the building is owned by 'Twigg Family LP' which has an address colocated with a motorcycle shop in Hagerstown.

As it is a bit of a purpose built structure, I would expect that another firearms store will take its place.

Yes but most leases are NNN leases where hendershots would be responsible for maintenance, improvements etc.

I've been in there 3 times and it's the closest firearm shop to where I live. Everything is overpriced and they carried a larger than usual "high end" inventory.

I hate to see a local firearm store hve issues and I do wish them the best.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    I stopped by their Hagerstown store half a dozen times on my way to and from our place in WV. The staff was good and friendly, but the place seemed more like a museum than a LGS. Few, if any, other customers when I was there. Never bought a firearm there, but did get some deals on ammo and accessories. Hafer's is more in line with my idea of LGS.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    They’re not selling those high dollar rifles locally. He could move the business anywhere and still sell them over the internet. His local sales will probably go up moving back to Hancock and his rent will definitely go down.

tall.guy88

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    I stopped by there Friday after work. They had all accessories marked down 50% and ammo was 25% off. I picked up some shotgun bulk ammo that matched internet pricing. As far as ar15 accessories even at 50% off they were more expensive than stuff on the internet.

I overheard the staff saying the reasons they are moving back to Hancock is the owners are tired of commuting, the firearm laws in Maryland are going to drop sales significantly and their money maker is in ammo production. Apparently the new facility is set up to increase ammo production in a big way. that is what they are focusing on.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Yes but most leases are NNN leases where hendershots would be responsible for maintenance, improvements etc.

As both a commercial tenant and landlord, without reading the lease, I wouldn't know how the buildout expenses were distributed. That's why I used the word 'may' when I pointed out that it 'may' be the landlord who is left holding the bag.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

I've been in there 3 times and it's the closest firearm shop to where I live. Everything is overpriced and they carried a larger than usual "high end" inventory.

I hate to see a local firearm store hve issues and I do wish them the best.

Have you tried to gunshop in Funkstown? Antietam Firearms. Small shop in the back of the building. Nice owners.

trailtoy

GOA, MSI, NRA
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2013
    St. Marys
    They’re not selling those high dollar rifles locally. He could move the business anywhere and still sell them over the internet. His local sales will probably go up moving back to Hancock and his rent will definitely go down.

We used to go through Hancock twice a year on the way to Friendsville and always liked stopping and looking around Hendershots. I too wondered 'who around here is buying these high $ rifles'? Always hit Weavers across the street for breakfast, I miss those days.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    My love of the place started many years ago pre-internet when they were in Hancock. I walked in and asked if they had any GP11 ammunition. The guy at the counter said "What?" so I repeated myself. He then asked, "What's GP11?" I told him it was Swiss surplus ammunition for Swiss surplus rifles. The reply was, "We don't sell any of that surplus crap!" I grinned widely at the "Crap" part, thanked the man and walked out. Although I've been back various times for a grin, I won't buy from them; partly because I won't abide arrogance and partly because their prices are ridiculous. They've had a 1941 Johnson for sale for months with a price tag of well over $7000. They also have a miltech ruined rework Johnson for over 5K. I just assume they are fishing for a sucker. I sold a 100% legit M1D sniper last year in mint condition complete with original scope, sling, cheek rest and flash hider for less than they were asking for a miltech ruined one complete with reproduction parts . That one disappeared so I guess there are suckers out there. If they can't make it, they have no one to blame but themselves. If I owned a business and someone walked in money in hand asking for something I did not normally carry and had never heard of, you can bet your dog that I'm going to get their information, educate myself real quick like and then contact that potential buyer with product in hand. I spend a lot if dough in this hobby and I'm not going to waste my time with a vendor who acts like I'm not worth their time or sees me as an uneducated buffoon they might be able to take advantage of. I know my plain language will rub some the wrong way but that's the way I see it.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I was not a fan of Hendershots. Mainly very expensive stock and the guns that should have been better deals were priced to match the high end stuff.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Have you tried to gunshop in Funkstown? Antietam Firearms. Small shop in the back of the building. Nice owners.

3R guns in Hagerstown is my favorite. Small and limited hours but Ron has the best prices around and can order anything you want. Almost always cheaper than I could get it elsewhere.

304tothecore

Sep 10, 2018
    Washington County, MD
    It bummed me out they moved back, I was at the range at least once a week - for $20 a month it was worth it. Now I have to find somewhere to shoot for cheap - they spoiled me

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    I heard through the a friend of my wife's that Twiggs was raising their rent. She visited the store and was told that info. She was also told that someone else is interested in the range. Not saying they were make or break decisions but they were factors that had to be considered.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    When is this supposed to happen. I was in Hancock on Friday and I did not notice anything going on in the old Hendershots space. Still looked vacant to me.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member

Just my opinion but I think the move to Hagerstown was made with the intention of growing a local retail business to supplement the established on line sales they had. I don’t think that retail business ever took off as they planned, certainly not to a level that would support their operation there.

Hafer’s Gunsmithing is a booming shop if you’ve not visited recently. I’m sure that had an impact on Hendershots local business and was an unseen development given where Tim started. TMGN, Heritage increased gun sales down the road this way, GunRunners is still doing well and even Gun Center continues chugging along. I’m sure I’ve missed a few others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom