• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kshaw

Nov 21, 2012
    Gaithersburg, MD
    If you still need help, I have a power supply tester and that would be my first suggested step. A new power supply will cost you from $35-$100 depending on quality and wattage. As others have suggested, a USB hard drive case can be used to copy the data to another computer. You should be able to get those for about $12. Microcenter in Rockville will have all the parts you need. If you can get it to boot but find problems, you can download some free software called Tweaking that can do repairs on Windows. That software is amazing but takes a day or so to go through all the repairs.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    If you want to bring the desktop and laptop to me next week in the Winfield area, I can help you with it. Right now, I am trying to get my network fired up once more. Little bit of ditch digging, conduit laying, and cable pulling and I should be all good there.

I have an extra 3.5" usb harddrive enclosure laying around and if the drive is still good in the desktop we can just swap it over to that enclosure, check it out, and then you can take it home with you. Then, your wife can plug it into the usb port on the laptop again and decide what data she wants to pull from that harddrive and put on the laptop's harddrive. If the drive itself has been fried, I am no expert on data reconstruction, which would most likely be extremely costly if it can be done at all.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Thanks for all the offers! I still haven't had a chance to look at this, but hope to this week.

lawrencewendall

Been There, Done That
    Oct 10, 2009
    Haven't read all the posts but surges can kill a power supply. Power supply testers are cheap and replacement power supplies are a dime a dozen. I have a tester and power supplies laying around. I'm in Severn.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Haven't read all the posts but surges can kill a power supply. Power supply testers are cheap and replacement power supplies are a dime a dozen. I have a tester and power supplies laying around. I'm in Severn.

Thanks for that. I bought a power supply for it at the time, but it ended up not working/not being the right one, and that's about as much as I want to put in to a 10 YO computer. She's happy with the laptop now, but we just need to pull old files off of this one.

JDH146

jdh146
    Dec 26, 2009
    Not a computer guy but I was able to easily do this myself .
    You can use a docking station.
    Remove the hard drive from the damaged computer and use the docking station below hooked to your new computer and you will be able to read and transfer files to the new computer. Note that you can also use the old hard drive as storage and use the set up as needed.
    I bought the one below and it worked great.
    Obviously ,this assumes the hard drive has not been damaged .

Just saw Fabs suggested this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08P1539VD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Desktop -
    Open Case, Disconnect wires generally 2,
    one is power, the other is data. Most desktops
    have the drives in a removable "holder" for the
    lack of words, that just clips in place within the
    DT (desktop) case. Remove the drive from the
    "cartridge / tray" either screws, or pins hold it in
    place.
    There are several ways to use the drive externally
    there are "docks" where you drop the drive in, the
    other is by a combo power / data adapters that
    simply connects to the drive, most if not all of
    these connect via USB ports. Once connected the
    Computer "should" recognize the drive, move / copy
    what you need to. In Frederick could do it in no
    time, Have various 2-drive docks, and plain adapters
    transfer files to another drive. Or could let you use the
    adapters / docks, the hardest thing is getting the drive
    out. Let me know

Adapters...
    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Computer...rd+drive+adapters,computers,42&ref=nb_sb_noss

Docks
    https://www.amazon.com/Computer-Hard-Drive-Accessories/b/ref=dp_bc_aui_C_4?ie=UTF8&node=11548952011

View attachment 329790

View attachment 329791

Attachments

• 2021-12-17_065310.jpg
      2021-12-17_065310.jpg
      56.7 KB · Views: 135
    • 2021-12-17_065322.jpg
      2021-12-17_065322.jpg
      75.1 KB · Views: 138

Atrox88

Gold Member
    Jan 7, 2016
    Carroll County
    We had a wind storm Thanksgiving morning and one of our trees took out our power line. There was a major power surge, and my wife's computer got fried. It won't turn on, so we don't know how bad it is. We need someone we trust to try to pull the files off of it and put on to the new computer. Anyone able to take a look at it?

We're located in Mt Airy

I have a guy not too far from you that may be able to help. If interested pm me and I will send you his number.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Thanks to everyone that offered to help with this...I have this resolved now. MDSF comes through again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom