• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spektek

MDS Supporter
    May 7, 2020
    Baltimore & GB
    I saw another post on here about Ethical hacking classes @Alphabrew & it made me think about just making this thread.

(Cyber Security & Penetration Testing)

Pentesting is a fun exciting hobby to learn & is all about security. (Cybersec is an ever evolving career opportunity too). Pentesting is exactly like lockpicking. You think your front door is secure untill you pick it in less than a minute. So then you go buy a top of the line Schlage . But guess what? You were lazy and forgot to lock your doors or install a decent kick plate.

I got into Cybersec because I always had a passion for wanting to know how things work & how to make them better. To see a locked door & want to know how to get through it (dig under it,pick it, or my all time favorite Breacher up!)

Im trying to think of all the random OS's through the years backtrack, pentoo , parrot, debian, there was red hat I can list over 50 ive used. (If you want secure I think of unix)

Kali is my favorite, its debian based & built on backtrack.

If you decide you enjoy it & are interested in trying the wireless end , get a Pineapple or Alpha-wireless adapter. Then you can play with Wireshark, nmap etc.

It's all about staying secure in this day and age. We have our lives connected to the internet.

Tips to stay secure:
    -Keep your OS up-to-date (keep your drivers & firmware updated)
    - Sign up to https://haveibeenpwned.com/ to find out if any of your accounts have been compromised
    -Use a firewall other than just the generic windows or apple one
    -Never use the same password for sites
    -Make passwords that are a combo of numbers, letters upper/lower & symbols that are longer than 8.
    -Use a VPN if you are connected to a public wifi (especially if you are dealing with sensitive work or financial information)
    -If possible always use a hardline over wifi
    -Lock your phone (Use more secure unlocking methods than a simple number or swipe pattern.
    -Never install an unkown app or program

Router:
    -Change your default router login info
    -Change the default wireless password & dont use anything simple.
    -Disable WEP (this is the button on your router to quick connect to wifi)

Im probably going to add more to this over time & maybe break it up into different threads.

If you have any questions feel free to ask!

BlueFin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    Cyber Security is one of those jobs where you get paid but just never feels like work.:cool:

I was very interested on this when I was younger and in the IT field. It was the continual learning requirement, you always feel pressured to defend ever present attacks and the loooong hours and always on call made me think,,that money is not everything at my age. Very interesting though. You will feel like James Bond when you are fending those attacks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom