Starting to plan my escape to WV...how's Martinsburg?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I'm getting close enough to retirement to start seriously thinking about plans for my escape from Maryland. Sometime between late 2021 and early 2023.

My ideal would be to move to Winchester, VA, but Virginia is becoming more hostile to gun owners every year. So I'm now thinking of the Martinsburg, WV, area. Or possibly Berkley Springs. Close to the North-South Skirmish Association's range in Gainesboro (about 5 miles NW of Winchester), but safely over the WV border.

Opinions? Thoughts? I'm single, have no real interest in hunting or owning a lot of land - I just want somewhere I don't have to constantly worry about what the legislature will do next year. And a good range conveniently close by.

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    Berkeley Springs is a nice area. Martinsburg is ok but too many Liberal Locusts have moved in that area and the Hedgesville area as well.

Very true , When Covid19 started and my company went 100% work from home a number of my coworkers that lived in those areas were jumping for joy they didn't have to travel to work anymore , But they have told me they have see a huge number of people buying what ever comes available to get out of DC, Baltimore , and Maryland in general but they brought there nutty ways with them . I would rule out PA since they have so many different Taxes

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    If you’re single and don’t need to stay local why not Montana or somewhere down south?

I've got family in Deep Southern Maryland, and am a North-South Skirmish Association member. I'd prefer to stay in the greater National Capital area.

krieger

Sep 9, 2016
    West Virginia
    Stay out of martinsburg (aka little baltimore)city limits . If you don't have daily commute i suggest looking at developments west of and far from I81. In all do your due diligence of area before buying.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Martinsburg is going to get crowded very quickly. The P&G plant going in there is going to provide something like 5K jobs in the region. That's going to attract a lot of folks who have a much more liberal mindset into an area that was already turning purple at best. The Eastern Panhandle has always been far more liberal than the rest of the state. While the laws in WV may be more conservative for the time being, the people in that region certainly aren't.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Are you looking for an apartment, thus the city? If not, and house is on the list I’d go slightly SW towards Inwood, Glengary, etc.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    I'm looking at Inwood very closely.

I work at the P+G building which is almost 1/3 it's final size. Clorox is putting in a kitty litter plant soon. I think you are about 20 years too late to get a decent place within 10 miles of I-81. Everything East is DC commuters. West is pretty good. Commute from Hagerstown to Tabler via I-81 is way, way better than I-70 anytime. If I were looking for housing I'd look out towards sleepy creek or Glengary area.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I'm getting close enough to retirement to start seriously thinking about plans for my escape from Maryland. Sometime between late 2021 and early 2023.

My ideal would be to move to Winchester, VA, but Virginia is becoming more hostile to gun owners every year. So I'm now thinking of the Martinsburg, WV, area. Or possibly Berkley Springs. Close to the North-South Skirmish Association's range in Gainesboro (about 5 miles NW of Winchester), but safely over the WV border.

Opinions? Thoughts? I'm single, have no real interest in hunting or owning a lot of land - I just want somewhere I don't have to constantly worry about what the legislature will do next year. And a good range conveniently close by.

I work all the towns you called out- I’d pick Berkeley Springs. Also very close to MD, and fast and easy drive back east via 70.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Berkeley springs or Hedgesville/ Glengary outside of town in the valley would be my recommendation. Peacemaker is close by and has everything you could ever want in a range. Properties are a little cheaper in Morgan county but prices are rising. I'm right on the berkeley/Morgan county line and I can be at our farm in taylorsville in 80min without traffic.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    The good news is that this would be a true retirement home. No commute, unless I was made an outrageous offer (six figures, with the first digit not "1"). Might do some consulting work.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    The other area I'm looking at is around Capon Bridge, WV. Not too many houses, but land is relatively cheap...around $5K/acre. Buy the land, then build to suit.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    The other area I'm looking at is around Capon Bridge, WV. Not too many houses, but land is relatively cheap...around $5K/acre. Buy the land, then build to suit.

Beautiful area- I visit that town occasionally as well for work. One of my employees lives there and she and her family love it. Not far from Winchester either for most needs.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

Berkeley Springs area is a good place to settle. Terry's Taxidermy for transfers only, Hunters Hardware, J&S Pawn, and the Berkeley Springs Trading Post for firearms. Down 522, near Fish Hatchery Rd, you have the 10X Range. The guy that runs the range is the same guy that taught my WV required course for a carry permit. Southern Morgan County is where you will want to be. Close enough to Winchester for big box stores and major hospital center, close enough to Berkeley Springs for a grocery store, chinese food, county hospital, etc... Furthermore Cacapon State Park, south of Berkeley Springs has a excellent golf course, trap/wobble range, horse riding/hiking trails, and a decent sized lake for fishing and swimming.

If you'd like to scope out the area from a resident's perspective, let me know and I'd be glad to show you around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom