• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    They have a mobile browser.

Thanks for the scoop, I just installed DDG on the phone.

Now I find this and don't know what to believe:

http://techrights.org/2020/07/02/ddg-privacy-abuser-in-disguise/

TINFL in search engine world it seems.

FWIW, I switched from NordVPN to Norton and the only 2 issues I have found are that Norton VPN must be manually enabled after each reboot, and Twitter does not like Norton usually.

Finally, there are multiple threads regarding browsers that are active that might be combined so that everything is in one place.

Next up is to replace the PC browser.

bibitor

Kulak
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2017
    FEMA Region III
    From my understanding Dissenter has not been updated in a long time.

I'm trying Brave this week.

I just switched my systems to Brave yesterday. I use a laptop running Fedora and installing both the repo and the software was a breeze. I had tried Brave about a year ago and I am really impressed with the improvements they have made since. I'll see if I feel the same in a week's time. The only thing I haven't been able to get working so far are a couple java script bookmarklet utilities I use for scraping text/photos from online articles.

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    Is Firefox really a problem?

As far as I know, the only problem with Firefox (outside of being a bit bloated and slow sometimes) is the following statement from their CEO, Mitchell Baker:

We need more than deplatforming

There is no question that social media played a role in the siege and take-over of the US Capitol on January 6.

Since then there has been significant focus on the deplatforming of President Donald Trump. By all means the question of when to deplatform a head of state is a critical one, among many that must be addressed. When should platforms make these decisions? Is that decision-making power theirs alone?

But as reprehensible as the actions of Donald Trump are, the rampant use of the internet to foment violence and hate, and reinforce white supremacy is about more than any one personality. Donald Trump is certainly not the first politician to exploit the architecture of the internet in this way, and he won’t be the last. We need solutions that don’t start after untold damage has been done.

Changing these dangerous dynamics requires more than just the temporary silencing or permanent removal of bad actors from social media platforms.

Additional precise and specific actions must also be taken:

Reveal who is paying for advertisements, how much they are paying and who is being targeted.

Commit to meaningful transparency of platform algorithms so we know how and what content is being amplified, to whom, and the associated impact.

Turn on by default the tools to amplify factual voices over disinformation.

Work with independent researchers to facilitate in-depth studies of the platforms’ impact on people and our societies, and what we can do to improve things.

These are actions the platforms can and should commit to today. The answer is not to do away with the internet, but to build a better one that can withstand and gird against these types of challenges. This is how we can begin to do that.

It appears Mozilla is NOT our friend. I don't think Firefox is a technical threat at this time; but it sounds like they are open to making it one.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I tried the brave browser and it crash twice on my today and once was on this site. I like the blocking on it, but crashing is making me wonder. Even edge doesn't crash all the time.

embedded videos on a message board were dark and the entire screen was flashing. I like the idea, but it needs more work.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I tried the brave browser and it crash twice on my today and once was on this site. I like the blocking on it, but crashing is making me wonder. Even edge doesn't crash all the time.

embedded videos on a message board were dark and the entire screen was flashing. I like the idea, but it needs more work.

What OS are you running?

I'm running Brave on Windows and Android and never had it crash in the last few weeks.

Derek1320

Nov 10, 2009
    Crashing could be the result of many catalysts. In the end, Brave is just Chromium, much like "new" Edge (if that's what you're running.) Brave definitely still has some wonkiness to it, but having options is the goal.

The embedded videos were probably hotlinked from another site (like YouTube.) So if the browser isn't set to trust a feed from that site, it will fail out.

Derek1320

Nov 10, 2009
    I'm surprised you're having issues with Ubuntu. Brave is nice and smooth on my Ubuntu box (18.04 LTS).

In the case of the videos, I would just make sure the referring site is "trusted". That should allow the video to run without issue.

pennyanfernee

Nov 2, 2020
    If you are running Windows and are comfortable with Hyper V or other Virtualization platforms (VMWare, etc), you can always run one of the Linux distros like Kali or Parrot OS. They come preconfigured with tons of secure tools. That way you can do your facebooking or what have you on the main OS and do your critical browsing over the VMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom