• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Following Rob Braxman's advice, I am setting up 3 browsers on my desktop computer (I do not do any browsing on my phone)

-Chrome for ONLY google products (maps, youtube, calendar) and disinformation to create a favorable profile of me.
    -Brave for my phony FB account (used strictly for market place)
    -Firefox for all personal browsing.

My entire home is run through a VPN router.

I did not like the UN-intuitive feel of fire fox, and just learned about the creators politics, so firefox is out.

Any suggestion on browsers for my personal use ??
    An intuitive "folder" based "favorites" system is a must.

G O B

Ultimate Member
    Nov 17, 2007
    Cen TX
    I have IE,google,Firefox , amazon and Duck Duck Go. Looking to shit can Google, and amazon.

What else is out there?

Derek1320

Nov 10, 2009
    Are you running a Windows machine? If so, may I suggest Microsoft's "new" Edge, which is Chromium based and essentially a re-skinned Chrome.

It's a nice way to de-Google and retain the Chrome experience. It also has IE-mode so certain sites that only seem to work in IE can be loaded in Edge (at the enterprise level, I've found this to be a bit inconsistent but it works, sometimes.)

Microsoft sucks too, but if you dislike Google even more, "new" Edge is an option.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    I've downloaded DuckDuckGo and Opera. I haven't actually tried Opera yet. DuckDuckGo has a Chrome feel but is missing a few things, at least in the mobile version. Still, not enough of an inconvenience to force me back to Google.
    I like that with DDG, you can click up in the URL bar and see how many trackers were blocked and how it grades the site on security.

Now I'm in the market for more secure email.

Bingo

Nov 10, 2020
    I know very little about Opera except it's owned by a Chinese company. That affects my decision to use it. I haven't though about isolating my web traffic to different browsers but I really like the idea.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Are you running a Windows machine? If so, may I suggest Microsoft's "new" Edge, which is Chromium based and essentially a re-skinned Chrome.

It's a nice way to de-Google and retain the Chrome experience. It also has IE-mode so certain sites that only seem to work in IE can be loaded in Edge (at the enterprise level, I've found this to be a bit inconsistent but it works, sometimes.)

Microsoft sucks too, but if you dislike Google even more, "new" Edge is an option.

I switched from Chrome to Edge and couldn't be happier. Chrome was getting so bloated that my browsing was causing a severe drain on system resources. Edge does not have that issue.

I use Opera occasionally for its built in VPN.

I have also used Safari, but not recently.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Yes, but why is Edge anymore trustworthy than Chrome? Why is Microsoft more likely to abide by your privacy desires? Bill Gates is every bit the evil turd that Google and all the social media CEO's are.
    Mozilla used to care about privacy but now they're claiming to be investigating who's using their browser and reporting undesireables.

DuckDuckGo appears to only offer plug-ins for existing browsers on PCs and laptops. Does the plug-in adequately rein in any "reporting" by the Mozilla browser?
    Is there a full DuckDuckGo desktop browser that I missed somewhere?

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    Opera seems to be google-based. I did not know it was Chinese-owned, thought it was out of Norway. I liked the VPN feature.

Derek1320

Nov 10, 2009
    Yes, but why is Edge anymore trustworthy than Chrome? Why is Microsoft more likely to abide by your privacy desires? Bill Gates is every bit the evil turd that Google and all the social media CEO's are.
    Mozilla used to care about privacy but now they're claiming to be investigating who's using their browser and reporting undesireables.

All true, and they don't care about your privacy at all. But OP said his use case for Chrome was essentially to "play the game." And for playing said game, I suggest Chromium Edge.

For all other browsing, I prefer Brave as my DD.

Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    Question:
    If I use The official native "Chrome" for my google products (maps, calendar, politically correct youtube viewing),,
    Then use a Chrome "base" browser (Brave, epic, etc) for "other" browsing,, will there be conflict, or bleed over, etc,,, since I am essentially using 2 "chrome" browsers ??
    Or is it best to use a browser not built on the chrome engine for my "other" browsing?

twybyll

Jan 20, 2021
    MD
    Question:
    If I use The official native "Chrome" for my google products (maps, calendar, politically correct youtube viewing),,
    Then use a Chrome "base" browser (Brave, epic, etc) for "other" browsing,, will there be conflict, or bleed over, etc,,, since I am essentially using 2 "chrome" browsers ??
    Or is it best to use a browser not built on the chrome engine for my "other" browsing?

There shouldn't be any bleedover just because they use the same engine, that would be a big security flaw. I'd stick to the larger browser groups because there's no guarantee that the smaller projects aren't just run by ex-Parler cyber folks :rolleyes:

But also keep in mind that there are other ways to fingerprint you. Check out https://coveryourtracks.eff.org/ for more info about that.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    Was gonna try BRAVE browser but apparently it doesn't support LINUX machines at this time.
    Go figure.

Derek1320

Nov 10, 2009
    Brave is supported by Linux. I'm running it on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.

EDIT: I went to their site hoping to find a link for download and strangely they say there is no direct support. I'm running it and it works great. I wish I could remember how the hell I got it on there (I've been running it for a year probably on this particular machine.)

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    Brave is supported by Linux. I'm running it on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.

EDIT: I went to their site hoping to find a link for download and strangely they say there is no direct support. I'm running it and it works great. I wish I could remember how the hell I got it on there (I've been running it for a year probably on this particular machine.)

https://brave.com/linux/

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    Okay. I'm up and running Brave. In the system tray I see two dots, which in Firefox I've got two iterations of Firefox running. In Brave it appears on is Brave the second is Brave running a private TOR window. Is this typical?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom