• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Word to the wise... A knowledgeable friend tells me that the copperhead population is quite healthy this year. All of the Western MD parks are within their range. Timber rattlers are also found in the area. Bites are uncommon, but worth being cognizant of them.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    Word to the wise... A knowledgeable friend tells me that the copperhead population is quite healthy this year. All of the Western MD parks are within their range. Timber rattlers are also found in the area. Bites are uncommon, but worth being cognizant of them.

Rattlers are a daily occurrence. Like abundance.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Rattlers are a daily occurrence. Like abundance.

About 10 years ago I did a 20 mile hike through Caledonia State Park and Michaud State Forest in PA. The park ranger I encountered told me that they had plenty of rattlesnakes but those were more reclusive and always gave a warning if they could. The copperheads were there in smaller numbers but much more likely to refuse to move off a trail and generally more ill-tempered. I stopped hiking in warm weather after that. Wasn't worth it between vipers, ticks and crowded trails.

Krucianking

Mar 4, 2019
    Bowie, MD
    I camped out there the weekend before memorial day no crowds, we had a blast! We rented one of the cabins my sons were thrilled. I promised them to do it every year from now on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom