• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    OBTW - nice BDU's from the 80's ;) I have some sitting around as well.

Ha! Good eye. I bought those when I was in high school in PA. I started doing Keto back in Feb, and I can fit back into 'em. Haven't been able to do that since like 1990.

Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    My search for a Ruger RAR in 7.62 came to a screeching halt last Friday,,,

Exactly! I was considering a RAR since I converted my Mini-30 over to 6.8SPC, but now I am wondering if I should just sell the ammo I still have and be done with it. I think I will wait another general election cycle and see what happens...

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    My search for a Ruger RAR in 7.62 came to a screeching halt last Friday,,,

Assuming you already have 7.62x39 ammo, I wouldn't let that keep me from getting one. The approved form 6s still get to ship. This hopefully gives some other countries time to "step up" and get their manufacturing going.

At worst, it just won't be the cheapest rifle ammo anymore...then again, it still might be, just not by such a wide margin.

jef955

Feb 26, 2011
    Maryland
    Looks sharp!! Tell you what, the Timney trigger for the RAR is sweet if you are looking for just one more upgrade ;) I put one on my RAR in 6.5 Grendel.

Another great thing with Timney triggers, you can adjust them all to give you the same "feel" for the most part. I have about 8 of them - all adjusted to 3 Lb. I have them in 2 Ruger American Rifles, since I couldn't stand the stupid safety, one in .223, the other in 7.62x39 :thumbsup:

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    Took myns out to the range today all along with my mini 30. Recently acquired some oem 20 rounders and it's a joy to shoot vs. the typical 5 rounders I had at hand.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    Ditched the scope and got the nodak spud sights installed in. Can't wait to take this out to the range tomorrow.
    840914060ce9d2aa0587232c3f5e3d3e.jpg

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    Got mine yesterday. I had been looking for one for over a year (unwilling to pay gunbroker prices).

I think Ruger started up production again as I see several vendors selling them all of the sudden.

Need to order a scope now. Thinking of trying a Leupold with the custom dial system and getting custom dials for 123 gr, 150 gr, and maybe a TBD subsonic load.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    Mine (stock) takes Ruger mini-30 mags. There is a way to swap out the bottom metal to take AR15 7.62X39 mags (e.g. Duramags), but I'm ok with mini-30 mags.

Got a Cogburn Arsenal stripper clip guide that let's me recharge mini-30 mags with SKS stripper clips.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    so, I have to ask about how accurate it is? When I think of a bolt action modern rifle, I'm thinking "how is the accuracy". I don't really think of 7.62x39 as having lots of accurate ammo availability. I don't ever think about say tulamo as being accurate ammo. I guess unless you reload for it.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    so, I have to ask about how accurate it is? When I think of a bolt action modern rifle, I'm thinking "how is the accuracy". I don't really think of 7.62x39 as having lots of accurate ammo availability. I don't ever think about say tulamo as being accurate ammo. I guess unless you reload for it.

In theory - why would a 7.62x39 not be accurate? Granted, it has a so-so ballistics coefficient, it does not slice through the air or buck the wind very well. The most common rifle that is chambered in it is none too accurate (sorry AK owners).

Last edited:

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    I owned my RAR in 7.62x39 before I reloaded.

Hornady black and Hornady SST ammo got me shooting sub moa at 100 yards on my RAR. Wolf shot 2 moa, and tula shot 4 moa. Fiocchi and typical brass cased stuff shot 1moa. Absolute worst was privy brass cased round nose soft points that shot 6moa.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I owned my RAR in 7.62x39 before I reloaded.

Hornady black and Hornady SST ammo got me shooting sub moa at 100 yards on my RAR. Wolf shot 2 moa, and tula shot 4 moa. Fiocchi and typical brass cased stuff shot 1moa. Absolute worst was privy brass cased round nose soft points that shot 6moa.

Thanks, that answers my inquiry. Seemed like an old caliber design with some historical variances in bore would yield some variations in accuracy. I find that PPU in many milsurp calibers disappointing. Pulling bullets, they tend to run the bullets skinny. Glad to hear there are some brands out there that yield good accuracy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom