• ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Got him at Hugg Thomas about 7:15am.
    Biggest deer I've ever killed.

bf5d3fe912662ed9cafcbca18d284d37.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Wow, congrats! I gave up on Hugg Thomas years ago. Tired of calling every minute for 30 staring 10 minutes before their lines opened and not getting a reservation. I am over there hiking and fishing in the pond outside the season.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Man some nice scores already!

I plan to do public land for firearm season. I know it’ll be like WWIII out there but I gotta try it. Maybe next year I’ll look into a lease.

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    Sitting on public land this morning. Decided to go the lazy route again with just a chair and the bow (but this time I grabbed the pull, you know, just in case). After I settled in, I rattled then waited. About 45 minutes later, the same 4 pointer that got away last time (I'm fairly certain) came moseying by. Something had his attention, and it wasn't me. With the direction he was looking, then started stomping but wasn't alarmed as he kept walking towards what he was looking at, I knew it had to be other deer. That's a bingo! Two does appeared. Closest one was about 20 yards away quartering to. You would think with one in the freezer from 4 days ago that I could afford to be patient. Nope. My antsy ass took the shot. Not my ideal broadside double lung shot, but that's how it goes sometimes. I think I saw where it stopped running. Fingers crossed...

Last edited:

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    Nice!

I need to figure out calling/rattling.

Tbh, I think it was just where that four pointer likes to roam. It definitely brought out the tiny buck I posted earlier. I would have shot the four pointer, but I couldn't use my bonus tag today. If he graces me with his presence next week, he'll be welcomed into the halls of Valhalla...

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    My grandson got his first crossbow deer this morning at daybreak. It was a nice sized buck also. He called me all excited.

Attachments

• image0LandonCBbuck54).jpg
      image0LandonCBbuck54).jpg
      46.6 KB · Views: 222
    • imageLandonBuck (57).jpg
      imageLandonBuck (57).jpg
      42.2 KB · Views: 223

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I've had zero luck with blind calling.

I have, however, uses calls to get already sighted deer within range. Subtlety is the key.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    What do you guess the range was there? 300yds ?
    75 to the erosion strip, I'm guessing 150 to the far corner of the turn- between here and there is where they usually come out and I'm sighted within 2" from here to there.. Somehow I lost my rangefinder- hopefully by the stand
    It was
    It was total 215 yards to the tree limbs in the pasture. The 2nd erosion strip is about how far I feel comfortable shooting.
    Fox just came out in the field deer usually follow...

Got him at Hugg Thomas about 7:15am.
    Biggest deer I've ever killed.

bf5d3fe912662ed9cafcbca18d284d37.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Nice!!

My grandson got his first crossbow deer this morning at daybreak. It was a nice sized buck also. He called me all excited.

That is good to see congrats!!

Rain started just as I was heading out this afternoon but now it stopped so here I go again

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I've had zero luck with blind calling.

I have, however, uses calls to get already sighted deer within range. Subtlety is the key.

Makes me feel a bit better. I’ve yet to need to try calling on one in sight. That said, anyone have luck stopping a deer you bumped with a call? Now I am curious if it might get one that I bumped, but isn’t running hell for leather to hang up.

But Ecestu, you seem to be dropping them on the regular. Wether luck or not. Congrats

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    Makes me feel a bit better. I’ve yet to need to try calling on one in sight. That said, anyone have luck stopping a deer you bumped with a call? Now I am curious if it might get one that I bumped, but isn’t running hell for leather to hang up.

But Ecestu, you seem to be dropping them on the regular. Wether luck or not. Congrats

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom