• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I usually prepare for deer season by walking the woods for sign and trails on Public Lands. Well, I came across a pile of wrappers, Gatorade bottles, and various trash. It was right under where someone who had a deer stand and the marks on the tree were fresh. I picked up all the trash and was so pissed I bought a game camera with cell phone. I put in a spot where it cannot be detected. I want to catch this idiot so bad.

I grew up respecting nature and all its beauty and was to taught leave no sign. It really pisses me off that so called hunters can be so disrespectful. I also picked up 6 -1/2 pint whiskey bottles, beer cans, and various other cans and bottles while walking. Who ever you are you will get caught and if I find you I will post on every social media site your picture and provide DNR with the pictures too. Idiots who do this type of disrespect ruin for others.

Last year I found evidence of someone hunting on Public Land hunting over bait. Notified DNR and the Officer came on site and I showed him the location.

Usually when I scout public land I do it with a back pack. The pack is for my binoculars, water bottle/canteen, small snack, a couple reflective markers in case I want to find a tree or spot in the dark and to carry out all the trash I end up finding. I usually find a lot.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    This one is a story and a half.
    I mentioned in the last post I have little to no time to hunt this year, but God works in mysterious ways. I was just waking up hanging out with my 3 month old on the bed when my wife walks in and says it’s time to change him. I stand up to go do it and just then I see movement out of my window. 2 does just inside the treeline behind my carport. In just my pajamas I grab the first set of shoes I find (boat shoes) and quietly make my way to the door. I go the long way around my driveway to the carport (which is where my crossbow was, they were 25 yds from the carport) and cock and load the bow. I threw on my rangefinder/binocular chest harness and start putting a stalk on these two does. At this point they are 40 yds and I use my camper as cover to get to 25yds (I was thinking “what if they see my feet under the camper” and thought of Jeremiah Johnson (a deer doesn’t know how many legs a camper has). I get set up and take a thirty yard shot. This is how I managed a deer before breakfast in PJs and boat shoes. I had her butchered and hanging in my fridge before lunch.

Nice. Yeah, I’ve shot a couple out my garage window similar. This year I stalked one around my wife’s garden, crept up my driveway parking pad to where my in-laws planter boxes were sitting, “popped up” 30yds from some feeding does and shot one. Bad shot though and ended up spending half the day tracking her and had to put her down. At least at my place it’s more harvesting than hunting. But at least it fills the freezer.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Usually when I scout public land I do it with a back pack. The pack is for my binoculars, water bottle/canteen, small snack, a couple reflective markers in case I want to find a tree or spot in the dark and to carry out all the trash I end up finding. I usually find a lot.

I always have a backpack with all the essentials including a first aid kit. I also carry a couple plastic garbage bags to pick asshats garbage. I mark all my point of interests Gaia GPS app. While I was glassing a hickory nut fell out of the tree and hit me square on the top of the head. So on my way out I ended up with a couple pounds of nuts current drying out on back porch. Also found lots of beach nuts.

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    I am still seeing plenty here. I got my venison back from the butcher. A chance that’ll be it for me this season. Or at least the last one here. If I’ve got the time, and I think I will this year, I’ll spend a few days on public land (or private if anyone wants to invite me :-), not seriously looking for invites. Not actually in need, but I won’t say no either unless schedules don’t line up). Likely going to need to donate to friends and family for any more.

This one was maybe 30-35lbs back. I didn’t actually weigh it this time. But I checked my freezers and I’ve gotta have at least 50lbs, probably more like 60lbs left from last season. I guess that’s what happens when you harvest two big does and then get a good sized roadkill doe in March on top of some venison still from the previous season.

That said, I am going to try to eat through at lot between now and mid November. See if I can free up enough space I can feel good about harvesting another deer without NEEDING to donate any. Not that I don’t enjoy gifting venison to friends and family. But it feels like more of a purpose when I am hunting to feed myself, wife and kids.
    Dude...
    FARMERS AND HUNTERS FEEDING THE HUNGRY
    https://www.fhfh.org/

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    I think the only thing that could top that one is taking one while on the sh**ter !

Good job and great story :thumbsup:

It has happened. I spotted a doe from my bathroom window. got off the commode grabbed my gun sat back on the commode and used the sill for a rest. I didnt anticipate the noise from the gun going off inside a 5x12 bathroom. I am surprised tiles didnt fall off of the wall.

PSA- wives get really annoyed when they are awakened at 6AM by a rifle going off 20' from the bed.:)

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    It has happened. I spotted a doe from my bathroom window. got off the commode grabbed my gun sat back on the commode and used the sill for a rest. I didnt anticipate the noise from the gun going off inside a 5x12 bathroom. I am surprised tiles didnt fall off of the wall.

PSA- wives get really annoyed when they are awakened at 6AM by a rifle going off 20' from the bed.:)

My wife would have fed that to me butt stock first.

Get a suppressor man!

I did whack a ground hog back in the spring that almost lead to marital strife. One was out making moves like it was thinking about digging in to my wife's garden. Ran off when my wife went out there and found it. She came in and told me, so I was keeping a bit of an eye out for it. An hour later I saw it out there through our laundry room window. Grabbed my 10/22 and went in to my garage and cracked the window (no screen in the window and has great over watch of the garden).

Popped it and dropped it right where it was with a pair of shots. I do have a can on my 10/22.

Went out the garage door to double check it, my wife was sitting there in her garden chair, "what the F!?! You couldn't warn me!". Oops, hadn't noticed she was out there (Me, the ground hog and her formed an equilateral triangle about 25yds on each side). Checked the ground hog and tossed it in the woods. My wife was by then standing at the garden gate with a giant wet spot on her shorts.

OH F! I am dead. She pissed herself!

"You made me spill my seltzer! WARN ME NEXT TIME!!!"

No sleeping on the couch, but I thought I was dead for sure.

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    My wife would have fed that to me butt stock first.

Get a suppressor man!

I did whack a ground hog back in the spring that almost lead to marital strife. One was out making moves like it was thinking about digging in to my wife's garden. Ran off when my wife went out there and found it. She came in and told me, so I was keeping a bit of an eye out for it. An hour later I saw it out there through our laundry room window. Grabbed my 10/22 and went in to my garage and cracked the window (no screen in the window and has great over watch of the garden).

Popped it and dropped it right where it was with a pair of shots. I do have a can on my 10/22.

Went out the garage door to double check it, my wife was sitting there in her garden chair, "what the F!?! You couldn't warn me!". Oops, hadn't noticed she was out there (Me, the ground hog and her formed an equilateral triangle about 25yds on each side). Checked the ground hog and tossed it in the woods. My wife was by then standing at the garden gate with a giant wet spot on her shorts.

OH F! I am dead. She pissed herself!

"You made me spill my seltzer! WARN ME NEXT TIME!!!"

No sleeping on the couch, but I thought I was dead for sure.
    :lol2:

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    350 legend cherry popped.

Attachments

• 20211007_073300.jpg
      20211007_073300.jpg
      104.5 KB · Views: 235

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Sweet. Details on the gun, please. Maybe a pic or two. I've been thinking I need one, but the 220 may not appreciate company. Lol

AR, 350 legend upper.

As far as details I had a lot of the parts already. Got a barrel and gucci Geissle trigger. It's dialed in nice, still finicky with some mags. I used Hornady 170 gr Whitetail. Dropped where I shot it. I like it better than my 220 because the 220 with those Rottweil slugs caused me to *cough* flinch lol.

pic here:
    Not a black rifle

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    AR, 350 legend upper.

As far as details I had a lot of the parts already. Got a barrel and gucci Geissle trigger. It's dialed in nice, still finicky with some mags. I used Hornady 170 gr Whitetail. Dropped where I shot it. I like it better than my 220 because the 220 with those Rottweil slugs caused me to *cough* flinch lol.

pic here:

Lol. But nice. I was curious what brand upper it is.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Crop Damage Permit?

Isn’t it supposed to be the weapon in season even if it is a crop damage permit? Firearms only when out of hunting season.

That said, I’ve never hunted on one, so is it what I’ve heard.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Isn’t it supposed to be the weapon in season even if it is a crop damage permit? Firearms only when out of hunting season.

That said, I’ve never hunted on one, so is it what I’ve heard.
    That was always my understanding as well. Summer hunt with rifle up until bow season, then again after late muzzleloader. Maybe I always did it wrong, but I don’t think so.

Edit: found this on DNR site, rules regarding time frame are vague at best....
    https://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Documents/DMP_General-Conditions.pdf

The specified COMAR 08.04.03.02 is equally as vague, but both do reference the wearing of orange during specified hunting seasons, so it sounds feasible that it’s okay.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom