• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    So I just wanted the deer skull from my buck last year. Sawed off his head dug a hole 11/1 and planted it and set a steel pole in the hole to find it. Anyone else done this? I got the urge to dig it up next week or so, but don’t want to have to re- bury it because the worms and bugs aren’t finished yet.

Dig it or let it rest some more?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    You’d probably be better off leaving it on the ground in a place where something bigger can’t drag it off.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I read an article in a bow hunting magazine once by a guy who would bury his skun heads in a compose leaf bin. Pretty much just kept it buried in leaves. He would keep an eye on it to make sure it stayed covered in leaves and by late spring(I believe), it would be completely cleaned.

I know a guy who uses old fish tanks. He keeps them filled and uses fish tank heaters to keep them from freezing and the low heat causes all the soft tissue to putrefy. By spring he sprays them down with a pressure washer.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    First I’ve left chickens in front of trail cameras and coons drag them all over in several nights. Plus squirrels already chew on my camera power cords. I’m pretty sure they’d mess up my antlers

My compost pile is not deep enough yet. I can bury a dead chicken in it but nothing as big as a deer head yet. The Mennonites compost the dead milking cows in the fields now

It’s been buried almost nine months now

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I did that several years ago, don’t remember how long exactly. Close to 1 year, anyway it was very clean aside from the dirt. :) I think you can dig it up.

CaptainAwesome

Jun 1, 2013
    Pikesville MD
    I used washing soda for the first time simmering in a stainless pot - very effective at degreasing and loosening the membranes fast. I kept the water from coming to a boil also. While watching the simmering flesh, drink beer and admire how lucky I was to pull off the shot and retrieve that rutting buck.

Attachments

• 20201121_113609.jpg
      20201121_113609.jpg
      99.8 KB · Views: 801

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I used washing soda for the first time simmering in a stainless pot - very effective at degreasing and loosening the membranes fast. I kept the water from coming to a boil also. While watching the simmering flesh, drink beer and admire how lucky I was to pull off the shot and retrieve that rutting buck.

I've done a bunch this way. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• #1.jpg
      #1.jpg
      64.8 KB · Views: 786
    • #2.jpg
      #2.jpg
      104 KB · Views: 783

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Okay, the question was not should I boil it, because I won’t. I don’t need it in a hurry and have been waiting nine months now. I just wanted opinions on if it was long enough and I thought I stayed that clearly

My buddy boiled one all day and fatted up a pot terrible and then power washed it and I watched all this and it took forever. I don’t care that much about quickness but do very much on spending and entire day or weekend cleaning one.

Pale Ryder, thank you

CaptainAwesome

Jun 1, 2013
    Pikesville MD
    Okay, the question was not should I boil it, because I won’t. I don’t need it in a hurry and have been waiting nine months now. I just wanted opinions on if it was long enough and I thought I stayed that clearly

My buddy boiled one all day and fatted up a pot terrible and then power washed it and I watched all this and it took forever. I don’t care that much about quickness but do very much on spending and entire day or weekend cleaning one.

Pale Ryder, thank you

Sorry ArcheryRob, I understood your initial question. It's just that I want my antlers to be pristine with no UV damage or weathering. If you choose the burial method the antlers will dry out and appear aged. Maybe you want that effect. Maybe you could cover the antlers in tape stretch wrap or a tarp. Maybe not. Trade offs with any approach = time/money/results.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Captain Awesome, no big deal it’s just going to hang in my detached garage and probably get chicken bedding dust on it if my daughter raises chickens again. This won’t hangin the house. I won’t stuff ducks or geese because I don’t want to spend the money on that or dust them all the time

It’s just a small memory reminder without spending all the money

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va

Pale Ryder, thank you

Dig it up, I wanna see pics!!!!

slowpoke

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Annapolis
    I did this a couple years ago. Wrapped the rack in aluminum foil to try to keep the rodents off and covered the spot with plastic storage box weighted down with bricks. left it buried about 8 months. I think I just hosed it off when I dug it up.

MeatGrinder

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2013
    MoCo, Eastern edge
    I've buried them and dug them up a year later. (Your piece of rebar is a good idea. Wish I had thought of that.) Works great. The only issue is that it is not a pristine white. One I bleached with Clorox. Next time, I think I will look into hydrogen peroxide.
    I did a full year just out of simplicity. Bury one in Nov, and year later go to bury a second one and remember the first!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom