• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    Interesting cover of a great song. Good work!

What car did you buy in 1988? Was it worth buying new or was it such a terrible experience you never bought new again?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    1988 was a unique time in the vehicle marketplace in the DMV region . Trucks and 4 x 4s suddenly became very popular with the general public circa 1985 , but not having been previously popular there was no pool of used vehicles . In this time period , a friend sold his 1.5 yr old F-250 for fully the price he had paid brand new .

At that point in life , my desire was a 4 x 4 pickup. My whole life I was ingrained that New- New vehicles were a bad move due to the instant depreciation the moment you drove out the dealership . If you thought you wanted new , get 1yo with low mileage after the other sucker threw away 25% .

But couldn't find anything . Any truck that was meaningful amount under new had a family o f raccoons living in the cab . In desperation, heasantly looking at new .

That day went to look at a V-6 4x4 Dakota @ now defunct dealer near Warrenton . The truck was underimpressive , and the dealer was a horror story . On the way home we drove past Ouirsman Truck Dept expecting them to be closed and just browse the lot .

But the The Truck Salesman of the Year was staying late after closing . After the earlier part of the day we were in no mood for crap from salesmen .

" I just got finished spending two hours being abused by ******* dealer . I'm potentially serious about That One there . What's the Real Price , and don't give us s*** ? "

" No Problem ! List is 14.2 , today on July 4 sale we'll take 12.5 , with tags , tax, title, and all the piddly fees the main building insists that I can't control from the Truck side , $13.7 out the door. Oh , and I could sell you the upgrade Laredo 235 tires , but they're not worth what we charge."

We wrote a check , and drove home 1988 1/2 S-10 standard cab , short bed , 4x4 , 4.3 V-6 , fresh off the transporter with 1.7 mi on it . And subsequently came to believe the 88.5 specifically was the finest truck Chevy ever made , better in several key points than the subsequent 1989s and beyond .

But since then , I've devoped my improved strategy for buying used trucks ( and horses , and hay , and etc ) .

Meanwhile in recent decades MSRP truck prices have moved from Stupid , to Crazy , to Freaking Insane , to they're smoking crack . So 1988 was a one time unique convergence

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Glad y'all could tolerate it . But in hindsight the hassle and frustration wasn't worth it . We're pissed enough at each other , I doubt we'll play together , at least for a while .

And until less than two weeks ago , I had no idea she could sing like THAT . We were doing Folsom like we usually finish up with ( my signature song) , and that's one that she usually sings . She started " normal " , then halfway thru , Bang ! She suddenly started channelling her inner Wanda Jackson , and I about fell off my chair !

This sunday , I thought I had discreetly put the 'droid on audio record and put it on an empty chair for a room mix recording . But she saw it and picked it up like a microphone .

If ever I record anything again ( for non sharing ) , it will have to involve multiple mics , and subsequent mixing board , even for a one time live straight through . ( But that just depresses me thinking about all the recording gear I accumulated a cpl yrs ago , ultimately unused because I was too computer illiterate to set up a DAW .)

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    1988 S10 V6 4x4 does sound like a good truck. Interesting story, I was 4 at the time of your purchase, so I wasn't well aware of the marketplace. My dad had an S10 extended cab. All I remember is I used to hit my head on one of the rear windows, lol.

So what's your strategy for buying trucks, horses and hay?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Get away from the city, and buy from individuals in the Shen Valley and adjacent parts .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Dag ! It's up to 56 views !

Could MDS , my co- workers , and my music buddies account for all that , or did somebody from the real world stumble in ?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Currently @ 69 views , with last 5 inexplicable ( i.e. 56-64 were attributable to people I had shared the link .)

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    Dang! Up to 75 , all inexplicable . This is getting out of hand .

If you got a bunch of your friends to "like" it, it would appear in more people's feeds and eventually could go viral. I do suggest you write a simple blurb about yourself and the band how you are struggling just to make ends meet blah blah the whole limping street beggar thing and get a link for a donation account from PayPal and list it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Shoot , if it did that , it would get heard by people that knew dobro , and they'd hear how sloppy and out of time I was . At currently 87 , I'm worried about breaking 100 .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Heck , I hope not , then I'd get taken down by either Columbia Records , or whoever is the latest successor to Sam Phillips .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom