• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rockvillain

Apr 16, 2010
    Back in Maryland and my boys are finally old enough to come hunting. So far, it has been vegan hunting, which is frustrating for them. So far, the only thing I have been able to harvest is all the empties left by other hunters.

At my age, I can appreciate a day spent outdoors with family. At their age, armed trash collection doesn't hold much appeal; they want to shoot.

I hunt Seneca Creek and McKee-Beshers, so no target shooting there. The ranges I can find don't allow shooting shotgun hulls and little moving targets. My kids are 9 thru 13, so that's fun for them.

So, I thought that maybe there's such a thing as a plinking lease. There are hunting leases afterall. I am looking for a 25 yard or better 50 yard spot to shoot. Paper, hulls, cans, but no glass. And if I am picking up empties in McKee-Beshers, you know I am not leaving my own trash behind.

I may have misread the Weapons Law Summary, but it seems like I can shoot in the outside the Urban Area with the usual restrictions: 50 yards from a road, 100 yards from a dwelling. Inside the Urban Area, the range needs to be approved, which is probably a tall order.

Anyway, I am very open to suggestions. And I am happy to pay for a plinking lease, particularly if it's somewhere convenient to Rockville.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Distance varies by county. Most in Central MD seem to be 150 yards from dwelling, unless you have written permission of the owner of the dwelling.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You're recently returned , and new in your quest , so I will try to present reality as gently as possible .

You and 10,000 other people would be thrilled for such a situation , * in proximity to Rockville * .

I suspect that if you had close personal friend who owned such a property , you would already be shooting there , and not inquiring on MDS . Finding a random , arms length farmer open to plinking on regular basis by people he isn't related , or already knows and trusts starts a lottery jackpot odds , and moves down .

Remaining Possibilities :

1. An MDS member be suitably situated , and extend a limited invitation .

2. You can contact a Realtor to assist you in finding such a property barely inside the relevant boundaries , with suitable terrain , and like minded , or at least live & let live neighbors within half mile radius .

At that point , a number of your MDS Brothers and Sisters thank you for inviting us for bimonthly plinking fests , we'll bring the refreshments and grills for post plinking repast .

3. Join one of the many fine Clubs . A thread of inquiry will garner a multitude of people extolling the features and benefits of their Clubs , inviting you to visit and join .

Just be aware that by Maryland standards , one hour travel is close , 1.5 not uncommon .

3.5 IF close proximity to Rockville is the controlling criteria , your singular option is Gilbet's indoor range IN Rockville , such as it is .

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    You're recently returned , and new in your quest , so I will try to present reality as gently as possible .

You and 10,000 other people would be thrilled for such a situation , * in proximity to Rockville * .

I suspect that if you had close personal friend who owned such a property , you would already be shooting there , and not inquiring on MDS . Finding a random , arms length farmer open to plinking on regular basis by people he isn't related , or already knows and trusts starts a lottery jackpot odds , and moves down .

Remaining Possibilities :

1. An MDS member be suitably situated , and extend a limited invitation .

2. You can contact a Realtor to assist you in finding such a property barely inside the relevant boundaries , with suitable terrain , and like minded , or at least live & let live neighbors within half mile radius .

At that point , a number of your MDS Brothers and Sisters thank you for inviting us for bimonthly plinking fests , we'll bring the refreshments and grills for post plinking repast .

3. Join one of the many fine Clubs . A thread of inquiry will garner a multitude of people extolling the features and benefits of their Clubs , inviting you to visit and join .

Just be aware that by Maryland standards , one hour travel is close , 1.5 not uncommon .

3.5 IF close proximity to Rockville is the controlling criteria , your singular option is Gilbet's indoor range IN Rockville , such as it is .

Yep chances of finding that unless you have the land yourself or have a good friend who does is pretty close to zero. Even in more rural counties its not easy to find private land to shoot on and there still aren't a lot of options for ranges around.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    My MoCo friend’s years-long quest for this very thing finally culminated in buying a weekend place an hour and a half away in WV. It really IS almost heaven, as advertised.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Numerous IWLA clubs in the general area that have shooting ranges you could join.

Though to be fair, that situation is usually the opposite of fun plinking, and involves a more protracted volunteering commitment before even the paper punching can commence. I totally understand the OPs desire to just operate out of the back of a truck on a secluded little spot and enjoy knocking some cans off a stump with the kids. I don't have kids, and I definitely still like to do that sorta thing. Joining an Ike really won't scratch that itch. It may be a very good thing to do for other reasons, but the OP's quest doesn't line up.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Though to be fair, that situation is usually the opposite of fun plinking, and involves a more protracted volunteering commitment before even the paper punching can commence. I totally understand the OPs desire to just operate out of the back of a truck on a secluded little spot and enjoy knocking some cans off a stump with the kids. I don't have kids, and I definitely still like to do that sorta thing. Joining an Ike really won't scratch that itch. It may be a very good thing to do for other reasons, but the OP's quest doesn't line up.

It mostly scratches mine. Though we ain’t all the same. Damascus IWLA is a fairly friendly. Two volunteer gigs a year for two years and the fees aren’t ridiculous. It’s less than an hour from Rockville.

No you can’t Cowboy (well actually they do have cowboy shooting matches) it or shoot whatever you want. You can shoot anything biodegradable so long as you don’t go too nuts. Can throw clay pigeons out on the berms and shoot them. Anything self healing that’s non-metal is fine too. I take my older two who are 13 and 11 fairly often. Setup a couple plastic spinners and shoot them with 22s. Blast apart clays with whatever (reasonable).

You need the range safety class before you can use the range without another member willing to take you. They are offered monthly though. Quarterly for the shotgun safety classes to use the skeet and trap fields.

tjiann

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2022
    AACo
    Reading this thread with interest as I'm getting back into shooting. OP, did you find a good situation for you and the kids? I'm in Annapolis and trying to decide which club/situation is best for me. I figure I'll shoot and train for pistol at a close by indoor range, but want an outdoor range or situation for rifles and shotguns. Appreciate all the info provided here. Reading everything I can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom