• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Hey everyone. Looking to get into the suppressor game. Could use some recommendations.

Blaster suggested a Rugged Obsidian for my 9mm which I'm going to go order today.

I'd also love recommendations for .22, .45, and .223.

Durability, reliability, and ease of service are much more important to me than price, appearance, etc. I want things that are bulletproof (no pun intended.)

Thanks everyone

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    I have a rugged obsidian in jail, good choice.

ppl do clean rifle suppressors but its not really necessary. high pressure from rifle rounds makes them self cleaning.

for 556, i think its hard to beat the value of the YHM turbo K or T. Not the quietest on the market, but it only adds 5" and its usually under $500. Its quiet enough.

FlokiBear

Oct 12, 2020
    I can personally recommend the Griffin Armament Revolution 45 for .22, 9, and 45. I like being able take everything apart so easily and clean it whenever I want. All you need is a different piston and you can easily swap between 1/2x28 and 5/8x24. Sometimes the first round is louder than the rest, but is not uncomfortable without hearing protection for any of the shots fired through it, dry or wet. I've put it on my .22 caliber rifles and it still does a phenomenal job, especially with subsonics.

If you want a .22 cal can, Dead Air Mask is my favorite. Very quiet and no first round pop. Think it was $400 plus stamp

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    I have a Rugged Obsidian 45 that I swap between my 9mm and 45, you can buy a 9mm endcap if you wish but it's stupid quiet with 9mm already. I have the Griffin Cam-lok piston and adapters so I don't have to switch different pistons between my 45 and 9mm pistols with different thread pitches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zl0xzIlc-c

I will tell you, the Rugged Obsidian cans are among the best in sound suppression. But you must keep the piston lubed and cleaned between range sessions or you might get an end cap strike.

For 5.56 I have a Griffin 30SD-k that should be out of jail next month. It mounts to mil-spec A2 flash hiders, the greater volume of the can should help vs a dedicated .22 cal can.

Last edited:

COACH1106

Jun 18, 2020
    HANOVER MD
    I own the Dead Air Wolfman that we shoot 9mm and 300Blk through. I'll tell you that both rounds with subsonic ammo will pass the staple gun test. Dead Air says that you can run 556-223 through it. I just don't know about all that pressure going through a pistol can. I also just picked up the Q Erector in 22LR, again subsonic rounds are air gun quiet. Only downfall to the Q is that unlike other 22 cans is it only runs 22LR but damn if it doesn't do a marvelous job on the 22. Find a range that might let you rent a couple so you can get a feel on how they will perform on your firearms.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Inevitably threads that ask for purchase advice result in people telling you what they own, but they typically don’t go into much detail on why they bought a given can instead of others. Most people just buy brands they are familiar with, take recommendations of friends without doing research, or go with best value.

.22lr is pretty easy, as most .22 cans are good enough. For a first .22 can I would recommend Energetic Armament Nyx Mod 2 above all else. Titanium light weight and durability combined with modularity is hard to beat.

For .45 it would depend on OP’s use case. Use on a PCC would be a different recommendation than use on a pistol.

For .223 what firearm are you putting it on? A light weight bolt action is better served with a different suppressor than a full auto 10.3” AR. Most are better served by a .30 cal can than a dedicated 5.56 can, but not always. Use case matters.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    I own the Dead Air Wolfman that we shoot 9mm and 300Blk through. I'll tell you that both rounds with subsonic ammo will pass the staple gun test. Dead Air says that you can run 556-223 through it. I just don't know about all that pressure going through a pistol can. I also just picked up the Q Erector in 22LR, again subsonic rounds are air gun quiet. Only downfall to the Q is that unlike other 22 cans is it only runs 22LR but damn if it doesn't do a marvelous job on the 22. Find a range that might let you rent a couple so you can get a feel on how they will perform on your firearms.

If the manufacturer says send it then send it.

I use a 9mm can for my 350 legend rifle, which is about 7.62x39 or 300 blk. The can I am using is rated that high. A lot of 9mm "pistol"
    cans are overbuilt because ppl like versatility for their first can. You have to wait so long, its nice to have a can than can work on 9mm up to 300 blk, until you get a 2nd caliber specific one.

Dead Air says its rated to 7.62x39, 300blk and 350 legend. Full send.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Have a few, The Rugged Obsidian and Oculus are possibly the best, most versatile pistol and 22 cans out there. They perform well in their full size, and the short configs can be useful, the steel baffles are easy to clean, and their warranty/cust service is good. It's easier to choose cans from different brands for pistol and 22 being they are all somewhat standard direct thread or 3 lug. The problem is rifle cans, and more specifically their usually proprietary mounts. That will dictate the choice as much or possibly more so than performance. Some cans use standard-ish 1.375X24 adapter threads, and you can swap 3rd party adapters and muzzle devices provided you have clearance to the blast baffle. Dead air Keymo is awesome, super convenient, but heavy and expensive. SiCo's ASR requires access to turn the locking collar, but it's simple and avaliable. Griffin taper mount is the way I went with mine, they make adapters for 3rd party cans, have a good variety of muzzle devices, and are really simple and effective. Dead Air, Rugged, Griffin, Sico, YHM and Q all have several good models with different options. 30 cal cans are the way to go, usually the same sound performance as a 22 cal can on ARs, but less backpressure and just a little longer/heavier. Generally rifle cans aren't serviceable, a welded baffle stack is more durable, and can allow for "tubeless" designs with lighter weight and more internal volume. Most of the time rifle calibers have enough heat/pressure to break up fouling in the can before it can build up, but sometimes dirty ammo or cast/polycoated 300BO subs can foul it. Even if it's not "serviceable" you can plug the bore, fill it with CLR or dip and it will dissolve fouling, dump it out, flush with hot water, then a few rounds will clear out most anything left.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I should have been more specific.

The .22 will primarily be on a handgun.
    The 9mm will be on both a handgun and a carbine (I can get two different ones if absolutely necessary.)
    The .45 will be handgun only

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Si co sparrow for .22
    And spec war 7.62 for everything .30 to .223.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you’re dead set on the Silencerco brand, I’d recommend the switchback .22 over the sparrow (the sparrow is pretty heavy and loud compared to competitors’ offerings), and the spec war was discontinued some time ago. I think you can still get the saker 7.62 but it’s kind of in need of an update to make it competitive with modern silencers.

The omega 36m and especially new hybrid 46m might not be bad choices for OP since he seems to want to cover a lot of different cartridges/calibers.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I should have been more specific.

The .22 will primarily be on a handgun.
    The 9mm will be on both a handgun and a carbine (I can get two different ones if absolutely necessary.)
    The .45 will be handgun only

For a suppressed 22 pistol, depends on what you consider important, suppression, size or weight. My DA Mask is really quiet, but 6oz and 5" long. Some aluminum cans can be stupid light, the Sico Warlock is 6" and 3oz, but suck to clean. My Rugged Oculus can run either as a 3" 4oz "K can" tiny on a pistol and hearing safe, or in full config it's 5.25" 7oz and quiet.

The Obsidian is awesome on PCCs or handguns, like the Oculus it's modular for full and K size. There might be a few cans like the DA Wolfman that can arguably be a better PCC can, but the Oculus is well balanced for both.

Have to say, after shooting suppressed for a few years, have found some things that have exceeded my expectations, mainly 22(stupid fun and hollywood quiet). Then there are things that were kinda boring, centerfire pistols, especially 45 being that. Lots of blowback and port pop, huge heavy cans to quiet it down, and even then they are pretty loud. 45 cans are kinda specialized, can do most.pistol cans, but big bore rifle cals.can be fun, 458socom, 450 bushmaster etc. Could probably make a case for a multi-cal 45 can like a Griffin Bushwacker or SiCo 45m that can do everything, then a separate 22 and 30cal rifle cans.

Last edited:

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I've got several .22 cans. Tip: If you really get the itch for a specific can, buy that. Don't be persuaded to do something else.

My history: Got talked into an AWC Amphibian II. The suppressor part is OK, but basing it on a Ruger Mk II cripples it. The base gun is unimpressive. If I were looking at an integrally suppressed .22 pistol, I'd get a High Standard and put a can on THAT. Second can was a SWR - which is now made as the Bowers Paradigm. Nice can, performs well, but not designed for user servicing (the current Bowers cans are). Third can was an AWC Titan Three...which was what I wanted to begin with. Wet can, but compact. Works great for 15-20 shots, then refill.

Fourth .22 can was a Q Erector. This is where I'd start for a .22 suppressor today. Yes, it's .22 only...but it's wonderfully light, and you can adjust the number of baffles to get the length or performance needed. Second pick would be a CGS Hydra, which is reported to have outstanding performance. Tip: Get some Ox-Yoke Bore Butter or Wonder Lube, smear the baffles before shooting. They'll clean up easier.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I’ve got a Saker 556 which lives on a 10.3 SBR set up for home defense.

It’s an absolute tank and really takes the edge of the 5.56.

I could not imagine having an AR in 5.56 for home defense without one.

SilencerCo warranty is also incredibly good.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Hey everyone. Looking to get into the suppressor game. Could use some recommendations.

Blaster suggested a Rugged Obsidian for my 9mm which I'm going to go order today.

I'd also love recommendations for .22, .45, and .223.

Durability, reliability, and ease of service are much more important to me than price, appearance, etc. I want things that are bulletproof (no pun intended.)

Thanks everyone

Get the rugged obsidian 45. Now you’ve solved a suppressor for almost all your guns. It is fully serviceable, so you can use it on a rimfire. It’ll run a .308 or .45-70 with a 16” or longer barrel (will not do 7mm RUM or 300wm though). It’ll do .45, 9mm, 10mm, etc. so long as you have the right barrel length.

Even if you are only planning to run it on a pistol, if you have a 45, do NOT get the Obsidian 9. Get the Obsidian 45. You can always swap end caps if you want for maximum suppression.

I got an Obsidian 45 because of its flexibility and reasonable weight for what it is. Still waiting to break NFA jail though. My tax stamp was only cashed 6/1.

I’d consider a rimfire can to dip your toes personally. You’ll likely enjoy it the most and most useful.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Clear winner in my book is the OSS Suppressor line for rifles. Either 308 or 223. They are the clear winners at this time for any automatic gun. If you have a bolt gun/leverl/pump then maybe something else. However the function of OSS Suppressor is clearly superior to everything else. I sold my Omega after getting an OSS can. No regrets, would do it again in a second!

45 Cans I don't like much. I will not suppressor 45acp. I would say I hate pistol cans that are round and can unscrew! Nothing like checking every 3 rounds to see if your suppressor is unscrewing. I think an offset can is clearly superior. Something like an Osprey.

22 cans are all fairly good, no opinion from me there.

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    Clear winner in my book is the OSS Suppressor line for rifles. Either 308 or 223. They are the clear winners at this time for any automatic gun. If you have a bolt gun/leverl/pump then maybe something else. However the function of OSS Suppressor is clearly superior to everything else. I sold my Omega after getting an OSS can. No regrets, would do it again in a second!

45 Cans I don't like much. I will not suppressor 45acp. I would say I hate pistol cans that are round and can unscrew! Nothing like checking every 3 rounds to see if your suppressor is unscrewing. I think an offset can is clearly superior. Something like an Osprey.

22 cans are all fairly good, no opinion from me there.

The Griffin cam-lok system is a universal taper mount for pistols that keeps the can from unscrewing.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    The Griffin cam-lok system is a universal taper mount for pistols that keeps the can from unscrewing.

That is pretty interesting. Certainly might be good for the right situation. I do like the interrupted threads which make it fast. If you like having a lot of suppressors, it would make some sense. Thanks for info!

That said, I think I might still like the Maxim offset suppressor style more as does not need anything special.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom