• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fl1p

May 25, 2020
    I’m refinishing an old Wards breakdown pump shotgun. Just kind of a winter project. Any tips on where I should start my research. YouTube has lots of videos on how to clean, blue and refinish a firearm, but really looking for a good method to go all in on.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Yes, YouTube is your friend. Its probably a Mossburg made for Wards. Is it a Westernfield?

Last edited:

Fl1p

May 25, 2020
    It’s a wards SB30 take down. I think it’s a clone of a Steven’s shotgun

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    MANY ways to refinish.

I would say hot bluing is out for home use due to he amount of equipment needed.

But you could home Parkerize. Rust Bluing is possible and was used on a lot of high end shotguns.

Or Duracoat (and others) have spray on finishes that look like bluing or Parkerizing. Or you can do it just about any color you can think of.

Fl1p

May 25, 2020
    Thanks for the tips. I think i might parkerize I’m going for a classic dark barrel and wood look with this one. Really just something to tinker with over the holiday break. I appreciate the responses.

Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    I'd look into rust bluing. It's time consuming but cheap to do and looks really good when done. Manufacturers rust blued guns before hot blue was a thing. Look at some old sxs shotguns to get and idea of how it looks.

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    Rust blue is easy to do, but also easy to screw up. It is very time consuming. I’ve done it several ways and the fastest takes a full day from sun up to sun down not including metal prep.

UPSguy

WWII enthusiast
    Dec 31, 2020
    Carroll co
    If you are financially able. Invest in hot blueing setup.
    Cold blue has various methods of heating/scrubbing in vs wiping ect..
    harder to get dark dark dark cold blue.
    DO NOT go to walmart and buy birchwood casey anything! I’ve refinished multiple guns with every cold blue out there. By far hands down best and darkest blue is OXPHO BLUE. Get a tube online.

Do not take sandpaper to wood.. ever. Deep clean with alcohol and 4 ought steel wool and wipe dirt and debris out of wood. Let dry and you can hand rub some tung/linseed oil or anything else to help preserve what is there.

Oh yeah, use wet rag and iron to steam out wood dents only if there is no oiled finish on wood or varnish

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'll call your Oxpho Blue , and raise you Brownell T-4 .

Yes , Yes , Oxpho is their most-est , durable- est cold blue . But in side by side tests I've done , T-4 has better , more even Color , and is only a hair less durable .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    For the OP :

Pics of the gun please . We need to get a handle on the current condition , to pontificate what needs doing , and suggest ways to do it .

If you are financially able. Invest in hot blueing setup.
    Cold blue has various methods of heating/scrubbing in vs wiping ect..
    harder to get dark dark dark cold blue.
    DO NOT go to walmart and buy birchwood casey anything! I’ve refinished multiple guns with every cold blue out there. By far hands down best and darkest blue is OXPHO BLUE. Get a tube online.

Do not take sandpaper to wood.. ever. Deep clean with alcohol and 4 ought steel wool and wipe dirt and debris out of wood. Let dry and you can hand rub some tung/linseed oil or anything else to help preserve what is there.

Oh yeah, use wet rag and iron to steam out wood dents only if there is no oiled finish on wood or varnish

Per your introduction post...
    Write more posts like this and you'll be our best friend in no time. Hell, I'm now wondering what you want to put in the classifieds.

UPSguy

WWII enthusiast
    Dec 31, 2020
    Carroll co
    Per your introduction post...
    Write more posts like this and you'll be our best friend in no time. Hell, I'm now wondering what you want to put in the classifieds.

Hey I appreciate it. Just trying to lend a hand if i can. I’m sure there are alot better gunsmiths than me on here by far. I have just tinkered around. Try, fail, repeat = best experience i think.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Rust bluing is beautiful. A lot of high-end places like Turnbull rust blue. I doesn’t take a lot to have an ideal set-up for small scale bluing. Most folks have all they need already. It takes patience.

Fl1p

May 25, 2020
    For those looking for a picture. It’s the one on the bottom.

Attachments

• A8BFE666-B8D9-4081-85E2-FDCF3155DECB.jpg
      A8BFE666-B8D9-4081-85E2-FDCF3155DECB.jpg
      78.7 KB · Views: 123

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads