• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    How's that for a thread title? Seriously, they use frozen ones as a treat for the birds in the aviary.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1637851011826.jpg
      FB_IMG_1637851011826.jpg
      96.9 KB · Views: 401

Reloader

Ultimate Member
    Oct 23, 2007
    Arnold, MD
    Years ago we used to go to the events at the national wildlife refuge...makes me want to look at their schedule again

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    This has now become a general Tuckahoe thread...

I took this tour a few years ago and everyone loved it, kids especially.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1638021032360.jpg
      FB_IMG_1638021032360.jpg
      89.5 KB · Views: 250

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    We're fortunate to live near Tuckahoe SP (and Martinak SP isn't too far either). Both are nice, quiet spots to enjoy nature. Tuckahoe also has the Adkins Arboretum (https://www.adkinsarboretum.org/) for those who are interested in the flora side of nature.

As a heads-up for those near Tuckahoe, they often ask for donations of Christmas trees after the holiday for the aviary.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    We went over and did the full loop a couple of weeks ago. Nice easy walk and not too far from home.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    As a heads-up for those near Tuckahoe, they often ask for donations of Christmas trees after the holiday for the aviary.

Indeed they do. A couple of years ago they were sinking them in the pond as well to help create fish habitat as I recall. A friend of mine from school is a ranger there, I'll see if she knows about tree collections for this year.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Our Scout troop camps there pretty often. They have a ropes course and a nice calm lake for canoeing.
    We like it a lot. Also it's a short trip compared to most

Mr H

Banana'd
    GAAA...

X2

Just saw this, or we'd have been over there.

Also, I wasn't aware of the aviary, in all the years we've been heading to the area.

OK, we usually go to the Adkins Arboretum for some really nice birding, but this will make for a nice change next trip.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    From the MD State Parks FB page:
    Firewood permits for sale at Tuckahoe State Park!

Cut your own cord of firewood at Tuckahoe State Park for $20. To learn more about this program or to purchase a permit, call 443-221-8285

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    We used to go there and dip herring right across form the spillway. Small smokey fires and saplings tied together in a tripod with a long pole levered off the top of it with a big square cotton net rigged to the pole that would need hoisted every so often. With minnows you could knock the hell out of yellow perch too at the right time.
    The fish ladder used to be made of fiberglass and I can still see the broken panels and ice formed on the sides of the ladder to where it needed repair.
    One could also catch giant pickerel in some of the deeper holes of the pond if you knew how the right method.
    Back in there on the far side of the pond we would take an aluminum skiff up in there and catch the hell out of large-mouth, crappie during the cooler months.
    I know where the most awesome bottle dump is there that a person could find old cork type medicine bottles and glassware clay pipes and what not.
    Good deer and turkey hunting as well. One of the first local turkey flocks a person could actively hunt with success was established right there in the park as far as I know.
    Years ago I when I worked in the city a guy I knew from work I would take fishing there. He was from Carroll county and just absolutely would nag the hell out of me to take him fishing because it was so bountiful.
    Old Ed, lots of good memories from there and beautiful grounds and park that has been further developed for the public.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    We used to go there and dip herring right across form the spillway. Small smokey fires and saplings tied together in a tripod with a long pole levered off the top of it with a big square cotton net rigged to the pole that would need hoisted every so often. With minnows you could knock the hell out of yellow perch too at the right time.
    The fish ladder used to be made of fiberglass and I can still see the broken panels and ice formed on the sides of the ladder to where it needed repair.
    One could also catch giant pickerel in some of the deeper holes of the pond if you knew how the right method.
    Back in there on the far side of the pond we would take an aluminum skiff up in there and catch the hell out of large-mouth, crappie during the cooler months.
    I know where the most awesome bottle dump is there that a person could find old cork type medicine bottles and glassware clay pipes and what not.
    Good deer and turkey hunting as well. One of the first local turkey flocks a person could actively hunt with success was established right there in the park as far as I know.
    Years ago I when I worked in the city a guy I knew from work I would take fishing there. He was from Carroll county and just absolutely would nag the hell out of me to take him fishing because it was so bountiful.
    Old Ed, lots of good memories from there and beautiful grounds and park that has been further developed for the public.

Years ago, when I was only 18 or 19, I deer hunted a woods near tuckahoe. I’ll never forget seeing a turkey while deer hunting, telling the land owner about it and he and his friend laughed and said “you’re smoking dope boy!” At the time neither of us had heard about the state releasing turkeys at the park. :lol2:

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Years ago, when I was only 18 or 19, I deer hunted a woods near tuckahoe. I’ll never forget seeing a turkey while deer hunting, telling the land owner about it and he and his friend laughed and said “you’re smoking dope boy!” At the time neither of us had heard about the state releasing turkeys at the park. :lol2:

Secrets out now for sure.:)
    Progress they call it. Lots of people know all about the woods and the intricacies therein with the same these days.
    I'd probably have to go stuff myself or have a full blown Fudd-hick heart attack when some KI or western shore part time wanna be brush popper crossed my line with a kayak after sculling across all those broke logs while enjoying some fish catching and personal solitude LOL.

But really, that resource is something that all should see and enjoy if they ever get the chance. Just by reading here the developments sound incredible and there is an outdoor opportunity that should not be missed by anyone if they can make the trip. Especially if they can involve young people for the experience.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County

Secrets out now for sure.:)
    Progress they call it. Lots of people know all about the woods and the intricacies therein with the same these days.
    I'd probably have to go stuff myself or have a full blown Fudd-hick heart attack when some KI or western shore part time wanna be brush popper crossed my line with a kayak after sculling across all those broke logs while enjoying some fish catching and personal solitude LOL.

But really, that resource is something that all should see and enjoy if they ever get the chance. Just by reading here the developments sound incredible and there is an outdoor opportunity that should not be missed by anyone if they can make the trip. Especially if they can involve young people for the experience.

So now I know where my turkeys are going, the state nets them over by the swamp behind my house and takes them to the eastern shore, I wish they would trap some bears and move them down there.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    So now I know where my turkeys are going, the state nets them over by the swamp behind my house and takes them to the eastern shore, I wish they would trap some bears and move them down there.

I wish they would too. Or at least like to see some stocked before I croak.
    Nearly all or at least a very large portion of the deer around here stem from PA. (they were nearly hunted out in the 50's)
    I wouldn't be surprised in the very least if theirs not already, or has been bears that currently frequent the area.
    Not in the very least at all as a matter of fact. Maybe Ill contact the DNR and see if they'll let me know like was suggested about hogs the other day on the forum. They seem to be the most credible and go to source for whats really in the woods/marshlands around here.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    As a heads up, wear permethrin treated shoes/socks/pants and use some picaridin. We took the kids and dog there a month in so back...which resulted in dozens of pinhead sized baby ticks crawling all over everything. On the car ride home we found an easy 20-30 crawling up legs and around the inside of the cabin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom