• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    Looking for a 9mm can that can handle up to .30 cal that I’ll mostly run on .556 ar-15’s or pcc in 9mm.

I’m looking for a can that I won’t need to dump hundreds into out of the box like I had to on my broke ass dead air wolfman, in order to get it ready to shoot .556.

The griffin optimus 9 comes to mind. Are there any others in that genre that I should consider?

The optimus 9 seems to come with a lot of capability right out of the box.

Last edited:

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Did Dead Air take care of whatever the issue is with your Wolfman?

Edit: I just read the update to your thread. While I will never try to talk someone out of buying another suppressor, it seems like you are getting worked up over a pretty minor incident. If you had contacted Dead Air immediately after you noticed the issue, you’d have your can back by now and be happy with it. If you DID contact customer service and they gave you the run around, let me know. I’ll point their boss at this thread and he will absolutely make it right.

If you absolutely want to buy another can to do the exact same thing as the Wolfman, your four easily accessible choices are as follows: SilencerCo Omega 36m, SilencerCo Hybrid 46m, Griffin Armament Optimus 9, and Griffin Armament Bushwhacker 46. Or the Dead Air Primal but I’m assuming you’re pissed at Dead Air and don’t want to buy their stuff right now. Of the four non dead air options I listed, the Wolfman sounds better than all of them but they are all good. If you want user serviceable go with Griffin Armament, probably the Bushwhacker because it doesn’t have a lot of fiddly bits like the Optimus 9, and you won’t have to remember to remove the blast baffle if you’re shooting 9mm. But either sounds good and works well. The eco flow baffles Griffin is using are a serious upgrade over the Gen 1 I have. Which reminds me that I need to upgrade mine.

If you don’t care about user serviceability or don’t want it, the SilencerCo versions are great too.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Have an Optimus, Omega 36M in NFA jail. The 36M is better in most every way. The Optimus has a user serviceable 9mm main can, and a 30cal blast baffle with extension for rifle use, make it really long on a rifle, or not great suppression and really conservative barrel length requirements for the main stack. The 36M is basically a modular full size can that can be run as a K, all baffles are 9mm, so much better for 350 legend or even most 22/30 calibers, and can be run short_ long with better length requirements. It can also take a Griffin plan A to use the same taper mounts as the Optimus.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    YHM R9? Not sure what barrel length you'd need for it, but they claim 16" .308. So I'd ask them, or find an authoritative source, but that means you could probably run one on a 16" 5.56 safely. It won't suppress as well as the others mentioned though. But it is cheap and appears to work reasonably well.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Sounds like you want a can big enough for 30Cal but bored out for 350L/9mm
    I'm doing a form 1 for this very same thing. Its an 8" D cell can but will bore out a larger diameter to work for 350L.
    My 9mm stuff and my 30call stuff are different thread sizes I recall.
    As pointed out, a 30 cal commercial can likely is bored for a 30 Cal and not the larger 9mm. Dunno what custom work can mfg offer.
    I did not think about using this can for my PCC, but now that makes me think if I have the right thread adapters for it or not.

My original 30 cal can drilled for 30 cal makes the 223 sound like a 22LR. Subsonic 300BLK or Subsonic 308 it sounds like an airsoft gun

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    So if the question is a commercial 9mm can that can handle 556 or intermediate rifle calibers, I'd look at Omega 36M, or Rugged Obsidian. The Griffin Resistance 9 and Optimus are great - but only rated for rifle calibers for "sporting" use aka hunting (5-7 shots then cool down to ambient temp). There are probably some others, but those are the two that come to mind. The Surefire9Ti is Titanium and stainless so it will likely hold up to rifle calibers, but i cant find anything about it. Also, you can look at Witt Machine suppressors. They are short, designed to get to just hearing safe, but will definitely hold up to rifle calibers. Of course, they are not sold through silencer shop so you have to do it the boomer way and get fingerprints etc. and pay the NFA transfer at your FFL.

The biggest issue I see with 9mm cans used for rifle calibers like 556, is that to stand up to mag dumps they tend to be girthy, welded, and heavy. Which is not necessary or desirable on a pistol or 9mm PCC.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    The Optimus is “limited full auto” use and at least semi auto rated down to 10.5” depending on which configuration you use it in, FWIW.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Yes, a 9mm can that can handle .556 and .30 cal stuff. I worded it backwards and the usual suspects are making me pay for it.
    No worries, hope you find something you like. If you’re going with SilencerShop you have some choices, but not a ton.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom