• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    If you're close to southern Maryland, Nick's sells beef trimmings.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Don't forget bacon ends. Many butcher shops have them. They should be a lot cheaper than bacon and you're grinding them up anyway.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Those things are the best!

Agree. I’ve tried others but always go back to the nesco. I have 2, each with 4 trays. Most of the time I stack 8 trays under one dryer, and it works perfectly. 8 trays will hold about 7-8lbs of jerky meat. I saw a few years back the new ones had timers, I thought about upgrading, but bought a cheap digital timer instead, so I could stick with old faithful.:)

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Agree. I’ve tried others but always go back to the nesco. I have 2, each with 4 trays. Most of the time I stack 8 trays under one dryer, and it works perfectly. 8 trays will hold about 7-8lbs of jerky meat. I saw a few years back the new ones had timers, I thought about upgrading, but bought a cheap digital timer instead, so I could stick with old faithful.:)

I have the cabelas delux one. It’s okay. My brother has a nesco. When mine dies I’m buying a nesco

STeveZ

Thank you, Abelard
    Sep 22, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    I bought a Cabela's dehydrator to make jerky, more for the dogs than me, our weekly treat costs were through the roof. I buy a 10 lb tube of ground beef at Wal Mart and use 5 lb at a time.

5 lb ground beef
    1 teaspoon Prague #1 powder
    1/2 bottle teriyaki marinade
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    liquid smoke
    Worcestershire sauce

Ground turkey makes lousy jerky, ground venison is pretty good.

Before & After:

I2SRefK.jpg

BXFRvbl.jpg

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Mixed up 1 pound batch of honey bbq and smokehouse and the latter needs more testing. Daughters ground packs from the butcher vary from 1 pound to 1.55 pounds so it could have been under spiced and need more water

Twenty pounds of honey bbq to hit the smokehouse this weekend Saturday depending on how bad the rain is. I got 7 shelves about 20" x 24" and I am not sure I can squirt all this on them in one cook batch.

Attachments

• F52C8285-0355-4EC5-8CD4-C7180656D155.jpg
      F52C8285-0355-4EC5-8CD4-C7180656D155.jpg
      89.3 KB · Views: 115
    • 7FDCFDDE-2227-49F5-A9C6-63B7AFACF5AA.jpg
      7FDCFDDE-2227-49F5-A9C6-63B7AFACF5AA.jpg
      79.5 KB · Views: 110

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I bought a Cabela's dehydrator to make jerky, more for the dogs than me, our weekly treat costs were through the roof. I buy a 10 lb tube of ground beef at Wal Mart and use 5 lb at a time.

5 lb ground beef
    1 teaspoon Prague #1 powder
    1/2 bottle teriyaki marinade
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    liquid smoke
    Worcestershire sauce

Ground turkey makes lousy jerky, ground venison is pretty good.

Before & After:

I2SRefK.jpg

BXFRvbl.jpg

I did this. Even with 90% lean and i did it with bison too. I’m sure the dogs love it i thought it was not great! Wouldn’t do it again for human consumption! To fatty/oily for me

STeveZ

Thank you, Abelard
    Sep 22, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    5 lbs. fills my 10-rack Cabela's dehydrator. I add half a bottle of teriyaki sauce, 1/3 cup brown sugar, Worcestershire, liquid smoke and Prague powder. I buy 10 lb tubes of ground beef at Wal mart, prep half and freeze half. Ground turkey's not so good, ground venison's OK but beef is better. Since most of it is prepared as dog treats, I'll sometimes drop the brown sugar and always forgo the spices others use.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Wow, this was outstanding in the dehydrator and was terrible failure in the smokehouse. Some won't stay together as sticks and some dried out too much. Maybe it would work in one of those Bradley or little chef smokers, but it just did not cook, or dry, the same.

I got two gallon bags of hard crap that will be dog treats. Some we are saving as jerky, but its so soft I am afraid it will crumble being thawed out. My daughter said it still tastes good and crushed a bunch into sandwich bags and we will try it as crumbles in scrambled eggs.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Wow, this was outstanding in the dehydrator and was terrible failure in the smokehouse. Some won't stay together as sticks and some dried out too much. Maybe it would work in one of those Bradley or little chef smokers, but it just did not cook, or dry, the same.

I got two gallon bags of hard crap that will be dog treats. Some we are saving as jerky, but its so soft I am afraid it will crumble being thawed out. My daughter said it still tastes good and crushed a bunch into sandwich bags and we will try it as crumbles in scrambled eggs.

From what I've been reading, most people only smoke for a few minutes to impart flavor and then into the dehydrator.

I love your daughter's moxie...:D

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    The problem with ground is you can't move it once set until it is finished and dried. I considered this a huge disappointment. back to the snack sticks.

The good new is the dogs are very happy.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Well, its very good in scrambled eggs, so its not a loss. Just no where close to what I was expecting. Somethings just do not smoke well unless very hot I guess. I remember smoking ducks breasts one day for my i laws and mt M-n-L wanted squirrel. I threw them in the smoker at 200 like the duck breasts. It was mussy an awful, but if boiled it was fine.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    5lbs of Maine moose curing for jerky. Dehydrate Friday morning.

Attachments

• D35F58AB-186E-4059-AC8D-6EF92266DA6E.jpeg
      D35F58AB-186E-4059-AC8D-6EF92266DA6E.jpeg
      364.8 KB · Views: 53

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Recipe?

I upgraded from the Nesco round one and bought a Meats 10 tray one. Momma took posession of it and said I can have it back on Christmas eve. :rolleyes: When did Christmas present go from someone buying you something to, they taking what you bought and calling it a Christmas present?

I guess it's time to go to the gun store, for more presents. Just so Christmas seems pleasant.

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    5 lbs. fills my 10-rack Cabela's dehydrator. I add half a bottle of teriyaki sauce, 1/3 cup brown sugar, Worcestershire, liquid smoke and Prague powder. I buy 10 lb tubes of ground beef at Wal mart, prep half and freeze half. Ground turkey's not so good, ground venison's OK but beef is better. Since most of it is prepared as dog treats, I'll sometimes drop the brown sugar and always forgo the spices others use.
    if you do ground beef you need to get the 93% lean , and it's still a little oily .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom