• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mr phil

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2007
    beach
    A friend of mine has a stock Ruger 10-22that has not been shot a lot and just had an issue of a delayed release of the firing pin. First time he said he pulled the trigger and it was a good 2 seconds after that it fired. He said it did it again when he was inspecting it without any round chambered.
    My first thought was maybe it's gummed up and needs a good clean and lube , but I've never heard of this happening on any firearm. Any thoughts?

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    If there is excessive lube built up around the firing pin then that could prevent it from firing, but I don't think that explains a delayed fire. Clean and dry lube, or use extremely light application of oil.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Dried oil is also my thought. One of my shotguns only gets shot thanksgiving morning. So every year I have to clean up the dried oil so it’ll brake open easier. I know there must be some oils that stay put and don’t dry out but I always forget to check into it.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    I have seen light strikes from having the firing pin channel being filthy or where the hammer is seating the bolt due to rough bolt-receiver interface. But 2 seconds delay for the hammer-firing pin ammunition sounds waaay too long for a bolt or trigger (unless that is an exaggeration) - the firing pin is floating in a 10/22 so...how would that happen?. If the trigger doesn't immediately release the seer (or capture it after firing before reset), that is a big problem. Luckily 10/22 trigger groups are very easy to work on with YouTube.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Needs cleaning or look at the inside of the top of the receiver to see if there is a scrape mark.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I have seen light strikes from having the firing pin channel being filthy or where the hammer is seating the bolt due to rough bolt-receiver interface. But 2 seconds delay for the hammer-firing pin ammunition sounds waaay too long for a bolt or trigger (unless that is an exaggeration) - the firing pin is floating in a 10/22 so...how would that happen?. If the trigger doesn't immediately release the seer (or capture it after firing before reset), that is a big problem. Luckily 10/22 trigger groups are very easy to work on with YouTube.

This

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom