• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ShOrebird

Feb 22, 2010
    Hey guys and gals.

We live on the Eastern Shore. My dad just turned 91! (We had a great dinner!)
    Anyway, He owns a Glock 21 (Gen 3) in his name that I have been keeping at my place for years.

I would like to transfer the ownership of the Glock to me (his son.)

I own another handgun (.357 purchased in MD) and I am an Army vet so I can pass the NIC, but I don't want to make him travel to a gun dealer or a police barracks. Well, I could if there is no other option, but I would rather not have to do that. I could photocopy his ID and can bring him papers to sign no problem.

What's the easiest way to transfer the ownership of the firearm in MD?

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Hey guys and gals.

We live on the Eastern Shore. My dad just turned 91! (We had a great dinner!)
    Anyway, He owns a Glock 21 (Gen 3) in his name that I have been keeping at my place for years.

I would like to transfer the ownership of the Glock to me (his son.)

I own another handgun (.357 purchased in MD) and I am an Army vet so I can pass the NIC, but I don't want to make him travel to a gun dealer or a police barracks. Well, I could if there is no other option, but I would rather not have to do that. I could photocopy his ID and can bring him papers to sign no problem.

What's the easiest way to transfer the ownership of the firearm in MD?

Have to visit either an FFL or MSP. No way around that. Will need to make sure you are HQL exempt if you don’t have one.

ShOrebird

Feb 22, 2010
    If you are retired or reserve you don't need an HQL.

If you are not, you will need an HQL but will be exempt from the training for two reasons... being a vet and already possessing a regulated weapon (your current pistol).

Is HQL about Handgun Qualification? I was not trained on handguns (either the 1911 or the 9mm Rugers.) I WAS trained on the M-16 and the M-60 (that was fun!) Anyway, I purchased a .357 revolver in MD back in the 90's and didn't need any sort of special/extra training and I passed the NIC for that no problem.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Is HQL about Handgun Qualification? I was not trained on handguns (either the 1911 or the 9mm Rugers.) I WAS trained on the M-16 and the M-60 (that was fun!) Anyway, I purchased a .357 revolver in MD back in the 90's and didn't need any sort of special/extra training and I passed the NIC for that no problem.

Yes, Handgun Qualification License. As usual with Maryland, the training aspect is secondary. The primary purpose is to put another stumbling block in the way and make firearm ownership more difficult, so fewer people bother with it.

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...ion/Firearms/HandgunQualificationLicense.aspx
    Unless otherwise exempt, as of October 1, 2013, a Maryland resident must possess a valid Handgun Qualification License before he/she may purchase, rent, or receive a handgun. Details on exemptions may be found below. You do not need a Handgun Qualification License to own a gun you already have. The Handgun Qualification License is only needed for purchasing, transferring, or renting a regulated firearm after October 1, 2013.

It has nothing to do with helping you pass the background check, you can't even apply for the background check process to begin until you have the HQL. You'll need to do fingerprints, apply for the license, and wait. I don't know how long it takes, never did it.

It also doesn't matter if you didn't have pistol training in the service, or if you didn't do any training for your previous purchase. It only matters that you have a DD214 and/or already own a regulated firearm. There are other exemption categories listed on the page I linked, but I suspect if you fit into any you would already know about all of this.

In any case, either of those makes you exempt from the in-person training aspect. You still have to do the fingerprints, apply for the HQL, wait for the HQL, then when you have it you submit the online form for the MSP to do the background check.

Which, by the way, for a handgun is not NICS, that is now only for long guns in MD. As I mentioned, for handguns the check is done by the MSP and it will be a 7 day wait from the day you submit the form, instead of an instant check.

Unfortunately, much has changed since you bought your .357.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009

No, HQL is about making the purchase of handguns more difficult and expensive.

Just because it says "Qualification" it doesn't mean what you think it means. This is Maryland, where the only training the powers that be are interested in providing you is training you to be an obedient subject.

Part of that training is accepting brand-new definitions of words you thought you knew. Those who control the language control your thoughts.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Call your local ffls. See if they’ll let you bring in the pistol with a copy of his ID. Then they can do the process as a dealer sale.
    No difference than receiving a firearm in the mail but some ffls won’t accept from individuals thus the calling around. I would think you’ll find one.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    What part of the Eastern Shore, like Salisbury or east there of and does your Dad live near you?

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Call your local ffls. See if they’ll let you bring in the pistol with a copy of his ID. Then they can do the process as a dealer sale.
    No difference than receiving a firearm in the mail but some ffls won’t accept from individuals thus the calling around. I would think you’ll find one.

Never known a dealer to do that without the registered owned on hand. Too many “I can copy my wife’s ID and sell her guns”. Need face to face. Paperwork needs to be signed in front of FFL. Also only HQL exempt if you are retired military with retired ID card. Marylinistan doesn’t make it easy.

Also noticed you mentioned that you want to transfer ownership. What about your dad? He hasn’t forgotten you have his gun has he?

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Never known a dealer to do that without the registered owned on hand. Too many “I can copy my wife’s ID and sell her guns”. Need face to face. Paperwork needs to be signed in front of FFL. Also only HQL exempt if you are retired military with retired ID card. Marylinistan doesn’t make it easy.

Also noticed you mentioned that you want to transfer ownership. What about your dad? He hasn’t forgotten you have his gun has he?
    Yeah like I was saying he’ll have to check around but it’s totally fine. We get guns from all over the country. Name and address is all that’s needed to register in log book. Now some ffls will only accept firearms from other ffls but that’s policy not law.

I actually had one come in with zero info. So I checked with the ATF and a day later they said do the transfer. They are much more interested in where it’s going than where it came from.

PainAndGain

Dec 22, 2019
    I would recommend going to Maryland State Police to do the transfer. Since it’s family member to family member you don’t pay a dime. FFL will charge you to transfer it.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Yes, Handgun Qualification License. As usual with Maryland, the training aspect is secondary. The primary purpose is to put another stumbling block in the way and make firearm ownership more difficult, so fewer people bother with it.

It has nothing to do with helping you pass the background check, you can't even apply for the background check process to begin until you have the HQL. You'll need to do fingerprints, apply for the license, and wait. I don't know how long it takes, never did it.

It also doesn't matter if you didn't have pistol training in the service, or if you didn't do any training for your previous purchase. It only matters that you have a DD214 and/or already own a regulated firearm. There are other exemption categories listed on the page I linked, but I suspect if you fit into any you would already know about all of this.

In any case, either of those makes you exempt from the in-person training aspect. You still have to do the fingerprints, apply for the HQL, wait for the HQL, then when you have it you submit the online form for the MSP to do the background check.

Which, by the way, for a handgun is not NICS, that is now only for long guns in MD. As I mentioned, for handguns the check is done by the MSP and it will be a 7 day wait from the day you submit the form, instead of an instant check.

Unfortunately, much has changed since you bought your .357.

I just completed the process and got my letter back from MSP, start to finish was 2-3 weeks being that it is the Holiday Season YMMV

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Does a gift from Father to Son require a transfer? Or just the "voluntary registration" and no $10 fee?
    I think this is the winner
    Not something I would’ve needed to be involved in so didn’t cross my mind. Looks like you can go to the portal and start the 77r. There should be several options like dealer sale, secondary sale etc and by what I read there should be a gift.

Reloader

Ultimate Member
    Oct 23, 2007
    Arnold, MD
    Does a gift from Father to Son require a transfer? Or just the "voluntary registration" and no $10 fee?

This^ there are a lot of people on here giving the wrong answers that should know this.

On the 77r app there's a option for this in the drop down menu. No need to show up anywhere and no charge.

ShOrebird

Feb 22, 2010
    Hey! Guys.

Thanks for all the info. I did a search for "MD form 77r" and found the portal.
    All your info was helpful...and very discouraging...

The MSP website sez:

"Voluntary Registration/Gifts to immediate family members are free. However, see the HQL page for any relevant fees to obtain a Handgun Qualification License, as it may be applicable."

The transfer is free...
    BUT!!! I'll have to pay $50 for an HQL.
    I'm a vet, so I don't need to pay for the training.
    BUT!!! I'll have to pay for the fingerprints.

Amazing!

If the 1st was treated the same as the 2nd in MD they could charge me $50
    to join a church, post a message, or make a speech in the in the town square.
    Marxists can ignore the plainly-written right to bear arms and yet find an
    unwritten-right to abortion.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Hey! Guys.

Thanks for all the info. I did a search for "MD form 77r" and found the portal.
    All your info was helpful...and very discouraging...

The MSP website sez:

"Voluntary Registration/Gifts to immediate family members are free. However, see the HQL page for any relevant fees to obtain a Handgun Qualification License, as it may be applicable."

The transfer is free...
    BUT!!! I'll have to pay $50 for an HQL.
    I'm a vet, so I don't need to pay for the training.
    BUT!!! I'll have to pay for the fingerprints.

Amazing!

If the 1st was treated the same as the 2nd in MD they could charge me $50
    to join a church, post a message, or make a speech in the in the town square.
    Marxists can ignore the plainly-written right to bear arms and yet find an
    unwritten-right to abortion.

Do you? You mention you are a vet. So long as you are retired in good standing and have you a valid military identification card, you don’t need an HQL. You select exempt when you fill out the 77r and input your military ID number I believe. I think it may also ask why you are exempt.

From MSP’s HQL page

Q: How do you verify the credentials of current or retired military personnel?

A: Please refer to the following web-page. http://www.cac.mil/uniformed-services-id-card/

Exemptions
    A Licensed Firearms Manufacturer.
    Active law enforcement officer or a person retired in good standing from a law enforcement agency of the United States (Federal Law Enforcement), the State, or a local law enforcement agency of the State.
    Active or retired member of the United States Armed Forces or National Guard and possesses a valid military identification card.
    A person purchasing, renting or receiving an antique, curio or relic as defined in federal law.
    Maryland licensed firearms dealers. (Sole Proprietors)

My buddy is a vet, retired in good standing. He doesn’t have an HQL and buys several handguns a year in Maryland.

Foohaus

Nov 22, 2020
    I believe the HQL exemption is limited to “active and retired” military. So active duty and drilling reservists are exempt. *Retired* military also exempt, but vets that didn’t retire are not. Whether they should be or not is a different question, but letter of the law appears to be that somebody who did their time and got out, but did not actually retire, is not exempt from the HQL requirement itself.

Edit: The law allows a valid military ID in lieu of a HQL at time of purchase, which only retired or current members would have.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Do you? You mention you are a vet. So long as you are retired in good standing and have you a valid military identification card, you don’t need an HQL. You select exempt when you fill out the 77r and input your military ID number I believe. I think it may also ask why you are exempt.

From MSP’s HQL page

Q: How do you verify the credentials of current or retired military personnel?

A: Please refer to the following web-page. http://www.cac.mil/uniformed-services-id-card/

Exemptions
    A Licensed Firearms Manufacturer.
    Active law enforcement officer or a person retired in good standing from a law enforcement agency of the United States (Federal Law Enforcement), the State, or a local law enforcement agency of the State.
    Active or retired member of the United States Armed Forces or National Guard and possesses a valid military identification card.
    A person purchasing, renting or receiving an antique, curio or relic as defined in federal law.
    Maryland licensed firearms dealers. (Sole Proprietors)

My buddy is a vet, retired in good standing. He doesn’t have an HQL and buys several handguns a year in Maryland.

He's a veteran, not retired, you can be one and not the other. Thus, he is not exmpt from the HQL only the training.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom