• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Record of purchase. Nothing more. It does not mean that you own or possess a handgun. It only means that once upon a time you purchased it.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    It’s sort of like a receipt for a meal at McDonald’s. You purchased it at some time what you did with it thereafter is not known or knowable.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    No, because if you sell the gun, the record of your purchase of the gun does not disappear. Ugly sally guns that are legally passed around could be on a dozen peoples names in MD.

You could sell it out of state through the legal FFL process into a state that does not require any documentation and sold still again within that state with no documentation. Who knows where that gun is now?

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    No, because if you sell the gun, the record of your purchase of the gun does not disappear. Ugly sally guns that are legally passed around could be on a dozen peoples names in MD.

You could sell it out of state through the legal FFL process into a state that does not require any documentation and sold still again within that state with no documentation. Who knows where that gun is now?
    OK, so as long as it has a serial number and isn't reported stolen it's GTG? If it's in your possession?

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    OK, so as long as it has a serial number and isn't reported stolen it's GTG? If it's in your possession?
    Sometimes you don't even need a serial number, if the gun is old enough. (That really annoys the bureaucrats, BTW. Tough.)

No one outside of a sale/purchase situation involving an FFL/MSP has ever asked to check my guns for serial numbers, ownership status etc.

I try to be discreet about firearms, and most other things as well. Nunya business.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    What is there then? Is it just registered or not?
    Transferred to you, not registered. And the firearms that are listed as transferred to you will ALWAYS show transferred to you, even if you transfer them to someone else.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    No SN required to transfer a firearm in Maryland. If there is no SN (Pre-1968 firearms) they put NSN in the Sn field.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I just transferred a handgun to my son. The steps are as follows:

1. Receiving party logs into MSP website and initiates a transfer request
    2. MSP notifies you that the transfer is complete
    3. Receiver takes the firearm home

We were a bit confused, as was the trooper at the local MSP barracks.

2 months earlier he had purchased a regulated firearm from a gun store and did the usual FFL transfer process. I was working from memory and old links.

On this transfer he got notification from MSP Pikesville that the transfer was not disapproved. We went to the local barracks to do the physical transfer. Troopers were asking for the PIN. He never received one. Called Pikesville MSP (saturday) nobody answering. He finally got someone on the phone in Pikesville and was told "your transfer is complete". No need to go to barracks, no money changed hands. It still feels like something in the process is missing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom