• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    My tastes run to classic configuration scopes .

Alas , I now primarily get actual classic scopes when I run across them at gunshows and old school LGS .

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    So now comes the next question - what size? I'd always looked at the 3x9x40 as THE scope. Why? Because that's what my Dad liked. Keep in mind the last time my Dad bought a scope prior to his passing was probably early 1980s - he had a nice Leupold 3x9x40 on a Sako Vixen .223.

Is there something that might serve me better than 3x9x40?

I currently own 3 rifle scopes:

Redfield 3x9x40
    Redfield 2x7x? (not sure on the objective - I don't think it's 40 - this one is the newest of the bunch)
    Western Field 6x33 fixed (I think this one is old enough that it was made by Weaver)

I think the newest of the scopes might be early 1980s - the other two probably predate 1970. All are perfectly functional for what they are - I don't really have any intention of replacing any of those three unless something happens and they break, although none of them have modern coatings.

3x9x40 certainly seems to be popular - some people seem to like the 3x9x50 - bigger objective lens, more light, right?

I suppose this is another area where there really isn't a correct answer - it's all about preference.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    A 3-9x32 with decent lens/ coating can pass all the light that is usable , and alow for lower mounting .

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    Athlon is hitting it out of the park for budget optics.

Leupold and Vortex have budget lines that usually are good quality. (Most Strike Eagles are not worth it)

Meopta makes great scopes. Not exactly budget but definitely a good value

The next scope I'm buying is an Athlon btr 6-24 gen 2. I'm going to put it on my CZ 457

I second Leupold. I put together a deer rifle last year and managed to find a factory refurbished 3-9x40 scope for $200 ($300 new, which is their "budget" line price). Made is USA with a lifetime warranty.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    So now comes the next question - what size? I'd always looked at the 3x9x40 as THE scope. Why? Because that's what my Dad liked. Keep in mind the last time my Dad bought a scope prior to his passing was probably early 1980s - he had a nice Leupold 3x9x40 on a Sako Vixen .223.

Redfield 3x9x40
    Redfield 2x7x? (not sure on the objective - I don't think it's 40 - this one is the newest of the bunch)
    Western Field 6x33 fixed

I think the newest of the scopes might be early 1980s - the other two probably predate 1970. All are perfectly functional for what they are - I don't really have any intention of replacing any of those three unless something happens and they break, although none of them have modern coatings.

3x9x40 certainly seems to be popular - some people seem to like the 3x9x50 - bigger objective lens, more light, right?

I suppose this is another area where there really isn't a correct answer - it's all about preference.

Hunting what? For which rifle?

If a dedicated varmint scope for groundhogs, say on that .25-06? That's likely going to be a different answer than a scope for deer or larger game on the .35 Whelen. Not only what you're hunting, but where (and how--method) is to be considered.

You are arguably set for "deer" scopes now, if you're satisfied with what you have presently.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Sub $300 vortex , athlon or bushnell. Catch a sale and you can snag a diamonback tactical 4-16x for $300. I have one on a weatherby vanguard thats worked wonderfully for hunting and target shooting. If you dont want a ffp reticle the bushnell nitro line has some great glass for the price too.

Redfield 3x9x40
    Western Field 6x33 fixed (I think this one is old enough that it was made by Weaver)

Vortex is, IMHO, the best dollar to quality ratio manufacturer out there.
    Eurooptic has some killer deals in their used/demo section and they have always been brand new in sealed factory packaging. I'm convinced the "used/demo" section is a way to skirt MAP (minimum advertised pricing) rules. Smokey posted their Viper PST deal, which I also bought. Here are another two good examples...
    https://www.eurooptic.com/Vortex-Di...-BDC-Riflescope-DBK-04-BDC-Showroom-Demo.aspx
    https://www.eurooptic.com/Vortex-Venom-3-MOA-Dot-Like-New-Demo-Red-Dot-VMD-3103.aspx

group shooter

Nov 14, 2021
    Glen Burnie
    Sightron makes a good scope with different price points Athlon also makes good scopes for in the 300 dollar range they track well the ones I have used . Remember you get what you pay for with optics none of these are the quality of a March or Valldala

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Vortex is, IMHO, the best dollar to quality ratio manufacturer out there.
    Eurooptic has some killer deals in their used/demo section and they have always been brand new in sealed factory packaging. I'm convinced the "used/demo" section is a way to skirt MAP (minimum advertised pricing) rules. Smokey posted their Viper PST deal, which I also bought. Here are another two good examples...
    https://www.eurooptic.com/Vortex-Di...-BDC-Riflescope-DBK-04-BDC-Showroom-Demo.aspx
    https://www.eurooptic.com/Vortex-Venom-3-MOA-Dot-Like-New-Demo-Red-Dot-VMD-3103.aspx

That venom red dot and the 45 degree mount would look purdy next to that 5x25 venom on my grendel.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    I like all three of the vortex scopes I own. Only one is on a bolt, but that is on a 300 win mag. It holds zero just fine. I have a few older Leopolds and they are decent. My newest leopold is nowhere near the quality as the older ones, especially for the money. One of my favorites is a Swift, I bought in the late 90s. It has a unlimited lifetime warranty, never has to use it, but supposedly it is a no questions asked, full replacement warranty. I’m surprised they aren’t more popular. Id say dollars to quality, you can’t go wrong with a Vortex.

offthepaper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 7, 2007
    Harford County
    Bolt action rifles, hunting/varminting, and I'm looking in the sub $300 range.

I've always been pleased with Redfield scopes.
    I have 2 hunting rifles with the Redfield Revolution in both 3x9, and 4x12, both have clear, bright glass and hold zero with 30-06, and 54R. They've gone up a bit now, but they were both sub $300.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I bought a couple of Weaver scopes from Natchez a few years ago that were (are outstanding)
    One of them I had to return because the etching for the grats was defective but dam if you cant see well into dark with one of those things especially if the moons out or rising at dusk.
    They're 3x9x40-42 or something like that. Tubes are a touch longer than most but every one who has used them has commented on the clarity.
    They are Asian manufacture Im sure but have held zero performed flawlessly for the purpose they were intended for and were a great buy.
    One of them is on my ML II which has been rode hard put up wet and grassed a ton of deer.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    I bought a couple of Weaver scopes from Natchez a few years ago that were (are outstanding)
    One of them I had to return because the etching for the grats was defective but dam if you cant see well into dark with one of those things especially if the moons out or rising at dusk.
    They're 3x9x40-42 or something like that. Tubes are a touch longer than most but every one who has used them has commented on the clarity.
    They are Asian manufacture Im sure but have held zero performed flawlessly for the purpose they were intended for and were a great buy.
    One of them is on my ML II which has been rode hard put up wet and grassed a ton of deer.

Surprising, huh? No doubt. That was certainly my reaction as well.

If you have one of the Grand Slam or Super Slam models, your scope came out of Light Optics Works in Japan. Select examples of the tactical models and Classic models did as well.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Surprising, huh? No doubt. That was certainly my reaction as well.

If you have one of the Grand Slam or Super Slam models, your scope came out of Light Optics Works in Japan. Select examples of the tactical models and Classic models did as well.

To say the least, I bought four of them but gave one away to a guy who came up to shoot some deers for Heroes Haven one year.
    We mounted it up to a Savage rifle so he could be kitted out in a hurry and it was as sweet as it could be. Same guy told me this year he killed good at Ft Sill and hasn't touched it since we put it together.
    One of the youngins tried to coerce me for a trade with a Luepold with 30mm tube and side focus and I told him to bugger off.
    He had one of the newer Redfield's on there was already a good performer for what it was. It was subject to frequent field use and wound u with a ding in it that he was all worried about so he geared up with .mil purchase program op.
    There wasn't anything wrong with that one for what it was especially for the type of things we do around here in the fall/winter period except it made the rifle a little top heavy it seemed to me.
    I stowed it for use at a later time or if I discover the best big game cartridge in the interim or need to cheap out or something in a pinch.

csxt602

Oct 29, 2020
    Essex, MD
    Swampfox is my go-to for optics. I love my red dots and prism scopes, and with the 30% MIL/LE discount, they are really affordable. When I finish my new 5.56 build, I'll be plopping a Swampfox Arrowhead scope on it.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    To say the least, I bought four of them but gave one away to a guy who came up to shoot some deers for Heroes Haven one year.
    We mounted it up to a Savage rifle so he could be kitted out in a hurry and it was as sweet as it could be. Same guy told me this year he killed good at Ft Sill and hasn't touched it since we put it together.
    One of the youngins tried to coerce me for a trade with a Luepold with 30mm tube and side focus and I told him to bugger off.
    He had one of the newer Redfield's on there was already a good performer for what it was. It was subject to frequent field use and wound u with a ding in it that he was all worried about so he geared up with .mil purchase program op.
    There wasn't anything wrong with that one for what it was especially for the type of things we do around here in the fall/winter period except it made the rifle a little top heavy it seemed to me.
    I stowed it for use at a later time or if I discover the best big game cartridge in the interim or need to cheap out or something in a pinch.

Good on you for your Heroes Haven involvement! I'm sure you made someone a very happy camper with that scope too!

Good luck with yours. I have a couple in use that I never figured on liking as much as I did, and just may have an example or so tucked away myself. :)

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I've got my 5-25x56 venom in a qd mount, so I yanked it to grab a picture. The house is the tiny one in the picture on the top that's roughly 200 yds away. The trees in the picture are about 30-60 yards away and obviously between me and the house. The bottom is 25x through the venom. There's a little chromatic stuff, some distortion around the edges and the eye box isn't super forgiving... but it's also like $450 new and comes with a sun shade and throw lever. Backed off 25 to around 15x, it's super crisp and bright. The parallax adjustment on the side is perfect. Within about 150 yards, you can pretty much do ranging with it. The 50 mark is accurate for 50 yds and so on. I'm happy with it.

Attachments

• 20211212_150513.jpg
      20211212_150513.jpg
      156.1 KB · Views: 166

Dovk0802

Sep 20, 2017
    DC
    The advice I've adopted is that if I had $1000 to spend; I'd buy an $800 scope and a $200 rifle. Perhaps a bit of hyperbole but, definitely not the opposite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom