• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I’ve always used Nikon, been great. Natchez keeps a number of refurbished models. Budget friendly.

Nikon pulled out of the scope market.

Are Nikon scopes being discontinued?
    A few weeks, in late December of 2019, Nikon announced that its rifle scope division would cease operation and production of scopes effective January 1st, 2020.

And this WILL effect the warranty:

Current Nikon Scope Warranty
    In September of 2019, Nikon sent out the following message to all Nikon dealers:

“We wanted to make you aware of a change that will take place regarding Nikon Inc.’s Sport Optics product warranty program. After review, we have decided to make some program adjustments that will require changes to in-store, online and other marketing materials.

PROGRAM CHANGE: Nikon Inc.’s product warranty is changing from the current product warranty to the following:

Lifetime limited warranty for the optical system of Binoculars, Fieldscopes and Riflescopes;

Seven-year limited warranty for non-optical system components of Binoculars, Fieldscopes and Riflescopes;

One-year limited warranty for electrical components of Binoculars, Fieldscopes and Riflescopes.

The Five-year limited warranty on all components for Rangefinder and Red Dot/Reflex sight products remains the same.

Please note that going forward we are ending our No-Fault Repair Policy. Therefore, the new warranty program will not apply to any SRO product that is subjected to misuse, alteration or accident or for damage caused from unauthorized replacement parts, will require consumer proof of purchase from an authorized dealer/reseller and will not be transferable from one consumer to another.”

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    So now comes the next question - what size? I'd always looked at the 3x9x40 as THE scope. Why? Because that's what my Dad liked. Keep in mind the last time my Dad bought a scope prior to his passing was probably early 1980s - he had a nice Leupold 3x9x40 on a Sako Vixen .223.

3x9 was a good all around scope. In the past. When a 3x zoom range was all that was available.

Now, with scopes easily hitting 5x zoom ranges, a 2 - 10x would make more sense. Or a 1 - 6x. Or now, you can get a 1 - 8x.

A big part of it is how far are you shooting? If taking deer in heavy woods a 1 - 4 or 6 or 8 would give you a fast optic for the shorter sight distances, but allow you to zoom if a longer shot presented itself.

OTOH, if you are shooting varmints at 300 yards, you need a bit more power. Or steel at 1000+ yards.

19smiller

Nov 11, 2021
    For less than $300:
    Leupold Freedom would be my choice. Made in USA and decent lifetime warranty and support. MSRP on their sight for a 3-9x33 freedom is $299, so can probably be found for a little less.

Too bad about Nikon, I have two of theirs and have dragged them through the Oregon woods to hell and back and love them.

My other vote would be for Vortex and Sig. I have a couple of each and they’re hard to beat for the price, quality, and warranty/support. Warranties are better than Leupold, but they can offer more by cutting costs and manufacturing overseas.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    3x9 was a good all around scope. In the past. When a 3x zoom range was all that was available.

Now, with scopes easily hitting 5x zoom ranges, a 2 - 10x would make more sense. Or a 1 - 6x. Or now, you can get a 1 - 8x.

A big part of it is how far are you shooting? If taking deer in heavy woods a 1 - 4 or 6 or 8 would give you a fast optic for the shorter sight distances, but allow you to zoom if a longer shot presented itself.

OTOH, if you are shooting varmints at 300 yards, you need a bit more power. Or steel at 1000+ yards.
    the 3x9x40 seems to still be a very popular scope configuration, but you're right - there are definitely some optics with greater zoom and magnification, but we all know that greater magnification comes at a price - sometimes with reduced clarity, but also, the more you're magnified, the more you see even tiny movements in your sight picture.

In telling folks out here about prairie dog shooting with my Dad growing up in Nebraska, the conversation would go something like this.

"I used to go prairie dog shooting with my Dad growing up in SW Nebraska."

"Interesting - did you guys use .22s?"

"No - Dad had a 25-06, and I shot a .223."

"Oh wow - so they had scopes?"

"Yeah."

"Oh - ok." (look of, 'well that sounds easy' on their face)

I don't think the average person understands that using a scope involves more than just lining up the crosshairs, and when you're zoomed clear up, those crosshairs are jumping all over the place if you aren't really locked down and steady. They think it's like they see on TV and movies where the sight picture is clear and steady, and the bullet hits exactly where the crosshairs are lined up. The average person doesn't understand that a bullet's flight is an arc/trajectory that is constantly variable based on a lot of factors.

John Colt

Dec 23, 2016
    Vortex Scopes Made in

Vortex Optics got it’s start in 1986 in Wisconsin. Vortex Optics is a US company that distributes sporting optics and optical equipment. They have a wide range of products which include scopes, binoculars, spotting scopes and more.

Vortex originally made scopes and binoculars in Japan but also ordered from factories in China based on locally developed specs. Currently, their largest numbers of shipments ranked by volume are from:

Philippines
    Japan
    China
    Taiwan
    Those are based on the number of shipments recorded in import records. Word is, different product lines get final assembly in different places.

Above from
    https://reloadyourgear.com/where-are-vortex-optics-scopes-made/

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    The scopes I've looked at that fit the bill and were budget minded IMO have been:

Vortex
    Athlon
    Primary Arms
    Arken
    So Burris and Leupold aren't even in the running?

I wonder how the Redfield Rebel scopes are - they are offered exclusively by Academy Sports, and they aren't a lot - about $120 for a basic hunting scope. Optics at that price point make me think that they really can't be very good.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I am a self proclaimed optics snob. Nightforce and the high end Vortex stuff is my go-to. Aimpoint for red dots.

That said, I got an unbelievable deal on a Bushnell Forge 2.5-15x50 FFP that is an excellent scope. I bought two of them - one for a buddies rifle. I think after sale and mail in rebate, they were ~$350 each. They both track spot on and have amazing clarity for the price. The FFP reticle is a bit useless for hunting, though. Great budget SPR scope. I wouldn't hesitate to buy into the Forge line again. I think it's 90% of the glass quality that you get from their Elite Tactical line, minus the battle-ready ruggedness.

sleev-les

Gata Needs His Gat
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    So Burris and Leupold aren't even in the running?

I wonder how the Redfield Rebel scopes are - they are offered exclusively by Academy Sports, and they aren't a lot - about $120 for a basic hunting scope. Optics at that price point make me think that they really can't be very good.

Not saying they aren't but as I looked through the various options I tried to limit my search so I wasn't stuck between 10 different scopes and unable to make a decision (if that makes sense). My last scope purchase I was about to pull the trigger on the Athlon, but a great deal for a Viper PST Gen 2 with QD mount popped up and went that route.

Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    I'm going to buy an Arken 6x24. I'm going to mount it on my 300 WM. For $450, that's one heck of a deal. I've seen comparison videos with the Vortex 5x25. Some guys say the Vortex is better and some say the Arken is better. I've had really good luck with my Vortex scopes, I want to give the Arken a try.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I'm going to buy an Arken 6x24. I'm going to mount it on my 300 WM. For $450, that's one heck of a deal. I've seen comparison videos with the Vortex 5x25. Some guys say the Vortex is better and some say the Arken is better. I've had really good luck with my Vortex scopes, I want to give the Arken a try.

The thing that concerns me about the arken reviews are that arken apparently bombed most youtubers with free samples and swag at about the same time. It seems like this could result in some conflicts of interest going in to the reviews. The arken scopes had some design flaws resulting in them not being waterproof... but I don't think many of us are going to be diving with our rifles, so meh. The arken scopes seem to have more variability from unit to unit than the vortex... especially with things like turret tension and accuracy of the parallax adjustment. Vortex seems to be more consistent from unit to unit.

I know my venom is absolutely dead nutts on with the parallax wheel on the side. If it's 50,100,or 200 yards away and I turn it to that distance, the reticle is crisp and stays put with movement. I can damned near accurately range things just by that adjustment without needing the MOA conversion... at least inside of 100 yds.

After you pickup the arken, please report back. They seem like they win out on the clarity around the edges and in less chromatic distortion... they also have 4x internals instead of 5x though, so they have physics slightly more on their side.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Sad to hear Nikon is dropping their firearm optics division.

I still have a few NOS NikonBushnell Elite 3200 4-12x AO scopes. Need to get them up for sale. They are bombproof and great glass but have a simple duplex reticle which isn't in as much favor today in the tactical world.

Last edited:

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Sad to hear Nikon is dropping their firearm optics division.
    I still have a few NOS Nikon Elite 3200 4-12x AO scopes. Need to get them up for sale. They are bombproof and great glass but have a simple duplex reticle which isn't in as much favor today in the tactical world.
    Nikon, or Bushnell?

Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    The thing that concerns me about the arken reviews are that arken apparently bombed most youtubers with free samples and swag at about the same time. It seems like this could result in some conflicts of interest going in to the reviews. The arken scopes had some design flaws resulting in them not being waterproof... but I don't think many of us are going to be diving with our rifles, so meh. The arken scopes seem to have more variability from unit to unit than the vortex... especially with things like turret tension and accuracy of the parallax adjustment. Vortex seems to be more consistent from unit to unit.

I know my venom is absolutely dead nutts on with the parallax wheel on the side. If it's 50,100,or 200 yards away and I turn it to that distance, the reticle is crisp and stays put with movement. I can damned near accurately range things just by that adjustment without needing the MOA conversion... at least inside of 100 yds.

After you pickup the arken, please report back. They seem like they win out on the clarity around the edges and in less chromatic distortion... they also have 4x internals instead of 5x though, so they have physics slightly more on their side.

It should be here next week. Might be a few more weeks till I can test drive it. I’ll take my 6.5 with a Venom, out at the same time. I don’t remember what magnification, but I’ll update when I post the review.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dovk0802

Sep 20, 2017
    DC
    Im a little different in the way that I don't spend as much on the scope as on the rifle in most cases.

Some of my best performing or valuable firearms I own don't have telescopes on them anyway.

That's what most people do. A scope has nothing to do with the accuracy or value of a rifle. It is a tool that helps achieve the goal of putting a hole where you want it in a repeatable manner under difficult conditions. Most any rifle is practically better than most any rifleman; a .22 Marlin, a surplus Mauser, etc. While a particular gun might be easier to shoot well, skill along with appropriate ammo makes the rifle effective and the difference between rifle makes, models or gimmicks is tiny compared to the ability of person pulling the trigger, which can be improved with training & practice.
    However, accurate target location is the most difficult task in achieving accurate fire. No matter how much you practice, your ability to tell the difference betwee a buck and a doe standing in front of a branch 15minutes after sunset, will only get worse with time.

For the OP or anyone interested in Leupold who's Active or a veteran, can buy directly from them with a pretty good discount. I think it varies across the product line but, around 30%

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    That's what most people do. A scope has nothing to do with the accuracy or value of a rifle. It is a tool that helps achieve the goal of putting a hole where you want it in a repeatable manner under difficult conditions. Most any rifle is practically better than most any rifleman; a .22 Marlin, a surplus Mauser, etc. While a particular gun might be easier to shoot well, skill along with appropriate ammo makes the rifle effective and the difference between rifle makes, models or gimmicks is tiny compared to the ability of person pulling the trigger, which can be improved with training & practice.
    However, accurate target location is the most difficult task in achieving accurate fire. No matter how much you practice, your ability to tell the difference betwee a buck and a doe standing in front of a branch 15minutes after sunset, will only get worse with time.

For the OP or anyone interested in Leupold who's Active or a veteran, can buy directly from them with a pretty good discount. I think it varies across the product line but, around 30%

Tell me about it. Ive been toting around various scoped rifles for some time now.
    A telescoped rifle is surely the most effective means to see a target clearly and reduce errors in aim. Particularly when one takes into account the human eyes ability to have a predetermined amount of error built into it while using conventional open sight systems found on commonly offered firearm systems.
    When is it though that you think people will begin to understand high magnification doesn't mean anything when it gets dark out on a hunting rig?

On big game rifles, mounts and delicate systems such as the scope itself are next to worthless if the person fielding them cannot perform maintenance on them in the woods or have the ability to determine a problem has become evident and then have the means available to them to fix it.

JBoshoven

May 30, 2021
    Severn, MD
    I have been thoroughly entertained by this thread over the past week or so. I do admit that I am a Leopold snob, when it comes to hunting rifles. All my big game rifles are topped with Leopolds ranging from a 2-7x33 for my muzzle loader and 3-9x40 and 4-12x40s on the centerfire rifles. I have read rave reviews on the vortex scopes, and somewhere I came across a "great deal" on a 3-9x40 so I bought one to have an extra scope laying around and to see if they are as good as I have read. All I can tell you is following my dog around my back yard after the sun set is that at 9x the image in the 3-9x40 leopold is as bright as the vortex at 6x. (Took the bolt out of the rifle with the Leopold and the vortex was not mounted on a gun for those wondering.) I was surprised how much brighter the Leopold was. Now, in Maryland shooting a deer just after legal start or just before legal end can certainly be done at 6 power so the vortex will work, but at least comparing those two scopes the Leopold wins hands down. I have to conclude that those that argue that the cheap scopes are just as good, do not hunt enough to be presented with shots in twilight when the better scopes shine. I have had the chance to look through friends rigs with swarvorski scopes. Those things are even brighter than the leopolds, however for me, I cannot justify the price difference to own them. Also in I have never had to pass on a legal shot because my scope was to dark, even right at the end of legal shooting time.

If one just shoots when the sun is up, at the range or when hunting , the cheaper scopes work fine, but I would sure hate to miss a trophy of a lifetime because I did not spend a bit more to get a Leopold that would allow me to take the shot.

Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom