• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I carry a scoped rifle eveywhere I go on the farm. Lately that rifle has been a weatherby vanguard in 257 wby with a vortex diamondback tactical 4-16x.( crop damage tags so deer season is year round) Sometimes its a home built ar15 with a bushnell nitro 2.5-10x ffp. If im doing chores after dark its an engage built ar15 with a pulsar thermion.

View attachment 330222

Heres a rig for shooting cans/varmints that works pretty well at least for me.
    I like the larger body because I can just reach in the back seat and heft the rifle by the tube when I want it out and not worry about it too much.
    Big drawback is the springs in the QR rings.
    When they get soaked with water they will build rust which is kind of disappointing- (they will not drain well and will hold water if your not careful.)
    So what I do is smear a lump of electrical silicon grease in them because it doesn't migrate all the over the place like oils do especially when it's hot out.

Anyway,quick question if you would, about the thermal scope you described.
    When you shoot at night how does it go for muzzle flash?
    With a system like that is it something like the mechanical/electronic components of the optic becomes affected momentarily or does it not at all and your eyes take a few moments to readjust?
    I notice at least for me and my vision is failing, even looking at a lit phone screen or one activated for a second takes me a little bit of time to readjust when I'm out at night.

Attachments

• Budget Luepold.jpg
      Budget Luepold.jpg
      61.2 KB · Views: 116

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    On the pulsar ive never noticed any disturbance in the image on the shot. I have a wraith hd on a 22-250 and the screen gets a flash but recovers instantly. Ive come to really appreciate the ffp scopes after i blew a shot on a yote awhile back because my scope was on 9x instead of 12x. They have their advantages and disadvantages depending on the style of hunting/shooting may not be worth it for many and I certainly wouldnt put one on my 30-30.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    On the pulsar ive never noticed any disturbance in the image on the shot. I have a wraith hd on a 22-250 and the screen gets a flash but recovers instantly. Ive come to really appreciate the ffp scopes after i blew a shot on a yote awhile back because my scope was on 9x instead of 12x. They have their advantages and disadvantages depending on the style of hunting/shooting may not be worth it for many and I certainly wouldnt put one on my 30-30.

Thanks for the reply.
    Having absolutely 0 experience with electronic/thermal imaging I would at the very least expect some sort of anomalies or short interruptions to the systems would occur/do exist.
    As long as they recover before a persons eyes would I'm not sure how much of a problem that would really present? If any at all for the average occasional shooter/user.
    If I cared to step into something like that for which I do not intend, that's good info, Thank You.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I'm not sure I'd completely agree with that. For the average shooter, is there going to be a discernible difference between a $300 optic and a $600 optic in practical usage?

I've weighed out whether or not to put a real ACOG on my other AR, but that's putting a $1000 optic on a rifle that cost maybe $500 total - I put it together with a really cheap Delton blem HBAR rifle kit, and it shoots pretty well, but I currently have a Primary Arms 3x32 prism optic on it that I got on sale.

If they compared them side by side, maybe. And it also depends on the use. I shoot long range. And I can see the difference between a $600 optic and a $1600 one.

In many areas, I agree with you. Most people spend 90% of their time, money and effort on the equipment. But for most things, the ultimate performance is 90% the person, 10% the equipment.

But optics can be different. The higher cost optics are clearer, have a flatter field (in focus from edge to edge), better light transmission, more repeatable adjustments. For the 1x - PP optics, the higher end ones are closer to 1x at the low end and can be more readily used both eyes open.

Thus the rule of thumb about optics price matching the rifle price. It would make no sense to buy a $400 Sake TRG-42 and put a $100 scope on it. But it also doesn't make a lot of sense to put a $2500 optic on a $300 rifle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom