• Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Not surprised. Tnoutdoors9 did a gel test with different .22s out a Ruger 10/22. The jacketed 40gr MiniMags were the nastiest. Deep penetration. And it tumbles. The tumbling made for some nasty cavities.

Personally I'd stick with 40gr MiniMags. The fancy federal ammo might be too light to penetrate consistently.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Penetration is all well and good. It can take minutes to bleed out a hole in your aorta. Minutes an attacker has to keep on going. The energy in this thing is concerning. It’s been a while, but let’s recall the idea is to incapacitate an attacker. Unless you get this projectile into a noggin (29g at 1100 fps?) and skull penetration is tenuous at those numbers. Your guy may not even realize he’s been hit and regardless of shot placement, he’s going to have a minute or two of fight at the very least. This round probably can’t even get to the brainstem on a perfectly placed avocado shot. Too much bone. I wouldn’t touch this.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    From the gel testing I've seen , the .22lr Punch gives up to 10% more penetration with similar wound channel to generic 40gr RN .

That looks more impressive in print than I meant it to be .

40gr RN already has sufficient penetration , and to me the hair more isn't enough difference to make a difference .

But since I was expecting an underperforming gimmick , I suppose matching and marginally exceeding to long time standard would be Exceedes Expectations .

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I hope I never find myself relying on a .22lr for self defense...

Better than a sharp stick. I have yet to meet anyone who would volunteer to take a round because it was only a .22. I'm with you, given the choice I would definitely carry something more effective, but if it were a choice between a .22 and nothing, I'd take the .22 any day.

Johnconlee

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2019
    Mechanicsville
    There’s quite a few 22lr carry guns being sold so it’s good to have ammo for that purpose. I think a lot of people rely on 22lr for defense. Especially people that don’t shoot for fun. My wife is one of them, I bought her a plain old ruger 10/22 carbine years ago. She keeps it handy around the house, rarely shoots it and is comfortable with it. It’s not the best but it’s hers, it’s a gun and she can make meaningful hits with it.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Its defensive 22, hard pass. It probably penetrates in gel, but light bullets lack momentum, deflect at a high angle, and aren't great at barrier or clothing penetration. You have reliability issues with rimfire, especially one loaded past velocitor pressures. You have a fine line in high velocity ammobetween brass thin enough to ignite reliably, and thick enough to avoid sticky extraction and split cases. Don't want to stand in front of one, don't want to stand in front of a bb gun, or stand there and have someone puke on me neither, doesn't mean they are effective. Handgun calibers aren't great at incapacitation anyway, 22 basically requires an attacker to give up, as it can't crush enough tissue to incapacitate as well as most service caliber. Why handicap yourself when most anyone can carry something better.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Better than a sharp stick. I have yet to meet anyone who would volunteer to take a round because it was only a .22. I'm with you, given the choice I would definitely carry something more effective, but if it were a choice between a .22 and nothing, I'd take the .22 any day.

Oh all day long, but to me, self defense and 22lr don't belong in the same sentence. :thumbsup:

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    "There’s quite a few 22lr carry guns being sold so it’s good to have ammo for that purpose. I think a lot of people rely on 22lr for defense. Especially people that don’t shoot for fun. My wife is one of them, I bought her a plain old ruger 10/22 carbine years ago. She keeps it handy around the house, rarely shoots it and is comfortable with it. It’s not the best but it’s hers, it’s a gun and she can make meaningful hits with it."

Same here, her 22LR semi-pistol is literally the only firearm my wife will handle. And I think 10 shots from a 22LR would at least get an intruder thinking about something other than continuing an invasion or attack. BTW - for decades more gunshot deaths in the U.S. were from 22LR's than all other calibers combined.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom