• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Not my 1st choice, but back in the day I carried a Beretta 21a in my back pocket (lived in America then) as a backup.

These could also be an interesting game round for certain things IF the accuracy is there.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Unlikely to be the first choice of most here. But if by physical affliction, or by necessity, or if by desire to shoot .22 over anything else? And if these or any other potential reasons why, amount in fact to the actual exclusion of anything else?

A gun that's actually handled and fired regularly stands a whole lot better chance of being shot comparatively well at least, as opposed to the 9 or 45 that last left a nightstand drawer during the Reagan administration.

So not great, but perhaps arguably better. That may be where the quest for the best possible choice of less than ideal ammo to stuff into a .22LR comes into play.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Before I owned a shotgun, I owned a 10/22. Back then the only mags Ruger sold were 10-round and the Butler Creek extended were notoriously unreliable. I kept a few mags loaded with mini-mags figuring it was better inside my house than the British .303 I owned as my only other long gun.

Before I owned a shotgun, I owned a 10/22. Back then the only mags Ruger sold were 10-round and the Butler Creek extended were notoriously unreliable. I kept a few mags loaded with mini-mags figuring it was better inside my house than the British .303 I owned as my only other long gun.

A 10/22 with a BX25 filled with Mini Mags would be pretty brutal considering how fast accurate follow up shots would be.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    A 10/22 with a BX25 filled with Mini Mags would be pretty brutal considering how fast accurate follow up shots would be.

As Teratos noted, it isn't likely to force a dedicated attacker to stop. It simply isn't likely to reach the CNS. That said, I felt the same way that I could likely keep everything between the collarbone and the belly button at inside distances. The BX25 would have made me feel a lot better.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA

IMO 303 all day long, that caliber took over the planet, vs a caliber that has kept hillbillies fed for generations.

Of course most any centerfire caliber will have far superior performance to 22, but if for whatever reason a 22 is all you can use, a 29gr solid at 1650 is probably the worst for reliability. Would opt for something like a 40gr minimag (1250FPS), FAR fewer reliability issues in most guns, similar penetration. 22 in handguns is pretty awful, where at least in a rifle barrel it can build enough velocity to penetrate, there really isn't much hope in a handgun barrel. 22 basically relies on an attacker noticing they are hit, and choosing to stop, there are plenty of cases where neither happened, even if they did end up dropping dead later on. Of course at the end of the day there are a lot of people defending themselves with 22s and birdshot, it's better than nothing, but we wouldn't be gun people if we didn't at least recommend better.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    The majority of gunshot fatalities I've treated have been with .22

Granted, it is not a one shot stopper, but then again few handguns are. 22 has the uncanny ability to do a massive amount of damage. Additionally, EMS often overlooks the entry and exit holes which delays appropriate medical care.

So, I believe a lot of answers here are correct. I wouldnt choose it as a defense piece, but it is better than nothing. It isn't a one shot stopper, but the ability to put a massive amount of lead down range quickly and accurately with little to no recoil can make up for that. And considering that I have personally seen DOAs come in with a single close range .22 wound does say something

Doc TH

Oct 3, 2008
    Rockville
    22lr

1) There are no "jacketed" 22lr cartridges.
    2) Ask the Mossad or Israeli sky marshal Mordecai Rachamim if the 22lr is effective against malefactors.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Big difference IMO between a single aimed shot on an unsuspecting victim vs stopping an attacker. I know a few LEOs that dispatch large game animals with 22s, quick quiet shot to the base of the neck, doesn't mean it's a great hunting caliber, because, well physics. Figure Federal is marketing their new ammo to grannies and new shooters that don't have anything better, not necessarily to Sicarios and Mossad.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    The .22LR was (and maybe still is?) the CIA’s assassination caliber of choice for many years.

Entirely different use case, bs self defense.

A pro can put one not only in the meat computer, but in the circuit breaker zone. An assassin’s 22 into the lizard brain firmware that keeps you breathing and channels all your motor operations: very different than shooting under stress at someone coming at you.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The Wire was the best documentary ever made about Baltimore.

Truth.

I watched the series well after it wrapped up. Interestingly, I was on set several times seeing cast and crew. My group does housecalls when Hollywood comes to town. They pay really well.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Truth.

I watched the series well after it wrapped up. Interestingly, I was on set several times seeing cast and crew. My group does housecalls when Hollywood comes to town. They pay really well.

One of the best series ever, it captures the essence of Baltimore in so many ways. Hollywood has richly rewarded the careers of the cast as well, they were all outstanding. It’s an injustice the cast, crew, and writers were ignored for major awards, it would have been well deserved.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    No , I don't want to get shot by a Daisy BB Gun, so that's not a useful standard of SD effectiveness .

Notwithstanding Israeli Intelligence and Security Agencies , and people here with severe disabilities , is .22lr from small handgun a viable/ rational / other than stupid or misguided option for SD ? Only in direct comparison to .25 acp .

Despite the fact that they're misguided , a significant number of people feel otherwise , either deliberately , or because they only own one handgun and it's .22lr .

A smaller but economically significant number of those realize it would be a seemingly good idea to use ammunition optimized for SD .

Federal is freaking Brilliant ! They are out in front to dominate a catagory they essentially created . And they can advertise and promote it Without lying .

And you have to admire Federal's effort on this one . A 29gr Flat Point is Not an obvious or intuitive approach . When T/C style bullets in .22lr were tried already , the results weren't terrible, they were middling compared to competing offerings . Federal had to have tried a crap ton of approaches before finding this one , which is indeed " better" in that it gives about an inch of more penetration .

But , in my best Paul Harrell voice , " Is it enough difference to make a difference ? " ? Not really . Regular 40gr RN already gives plenty enough penetration that it's not the limiting factor .

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    Wifey's 22LR 10-shot mag is loaded with alternating rounds of HP's and solids (all HV). Maybe mix in a few of these Federals?

I remember taking BabyMomma to a gun store to try to get her interested in shooting and self-defense. She was interested in and handled a pretty, rose colored wood gripped stainless LadySmith. When the moron behind the counter was told the application included self-defense, he reached up and grabbed a big, black tactical 12-bore and loudly racked the slide several times. She left the store.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom