• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So, can someone help me on this one. Long story is, shot a deer. Dropped a bit out of sight. I found it a few minutes later. Took me maybe 45 minutes or an hour, something in that range to go to my vehicle, drop stuff off from my pack, grab my game cart, get down to the deer and tag it. Dressed it and as I finished 3 hunters came up. After chatting with them a minute, the one guy claims he killed the deer. We argued over it for awhile with them claiming I was lying about shooting it. The deer DID have two wounds. A graze across its brisket that barely broke the skin and a shot in the chest basically almost down through its neck and out the bottom of its chest (lung/liver wound, I was going for a sharp down hill shot through the neck and heart and hit a few inches left).

They wouldn't believe me I shot it. Guy claims he found his deer a little while ago (maybe even true he found it after I had already left and went to my car) and went to help his buddy drag out a fork they were hauling with them. He says he shot it 4 times, and there is no way I shot it once since it had more than one hole in it.

Well, news flash, there sure as hell weren't 4 (or more) holes in the thing.

I sure HEARD someone shooting fairly close to me (within 100 or so yards, his rifle was suppressed it was LOUD). That plus the graze across the brisket I am sure he winged the deer.

Anyway, there was NO tag on the deer either when I found it (and it sure LOOK like the deer I'd shot just minutes before) or after I went and dropped everything off and went back with a cart. I did forget to tag it until I got back from my car. Yes, I did tag it before moving it or dressing it. At this point, my tag was the tag on the deer and it was the ONLY tag that was ever on that deer until I let the other hunters have it and walked away (and they did not tag it at that point either, just started dragging it out). For emphasis, I TAGGED THE DEER FIRST.

The guy claimed he was a cop (with no evidence) and not to lie to him. I stuck to my (TRUTHFUL!) story, that yes I shot the deer. It ran up the hill past me, I heard it drop out of sight, found it a few minutes later, blah, blah.

Of course they start asking "you alone" "that your car up at the trail head" "We are here with a few other buddies a radio call away".

Likely no cell service where I was standing. I let them have it. The guy took a picture of my tag and then cut it off. I would have called NRP if I was sure I had cell signal and if I was in the right. I am 99% sure the guy did not mortally wound the deer and I did. I can't be 110% positive what I thought was an exit wound wasn't in fact an entry wound (I didn't exactly have any time to do forensics on the deer as I had literally just finished yanking the organs out when they walked up). But I am darned sure it was on its feet when I shot it. Either I missed and it scared up the hill past me and conveniently then finally bleed out from earlier wounds near me, or I sure as heck hit it and almost certainly caused the mortal wound.

I noticed the other deer they were dragging wasn't tagged...

Anyway, it wasn't till later chatting with another hunter and then that night with my buddy who joined me for hunting the next day they both insisted I should have called the game warden. That Maryland law is whomever tags the deer first. It doesn't matter who killed it (heck, wouldn't even need to kill it. You tag it, it's yours according to both of them who have supposedly heard it from game wardens. I certainly trust my buddy).

But they sure as hell intimidated the heck out of me. Maybe the guy wasn't impersonating an officer. If he was, they sure were acting like they were more than happy to cause me some trouble. The guy sure was insistent he killed the deer and I'll at least give it to him, he probably did wound it an hour or so earlier. I am guess he probably did actually think he shot it. Maybe they even all really did think I was lying and didn't shoot it. But also for sure they were hauling deer without a tag and didn't claim they tagged the deer earlier and I had cut off their tag or anything like that. So they were doing some shady shit. But it felt like worst case, they were going to cause problems for me in the short term (no, I didn't feel physically in danger like they were going to attack me. But I was a little worried if I didn't let them have it I might come back to find their buddies slashed my tires or something). Or the guy was telling the truth and was a cop (I hate to judge, but he did not look like a cop or act like one. Not that says anything) and that all three were willing to try to lie and accuse me of something to a game warden and three guys word with one being a cop against mine.

Anyway, sorry. Long story, still shaken up and a little worried the guy has my name and DNR ID. I did check and they haven' called anything in under my DNR ID. Could they? I've only checked stuff through the website. Do you need anything under than your license number to check in deer?

Should I contact DNR and talk to them even though this is now a couple of days ago?

What is Maryland law? Is it whomever tags the deer first regardless of who killed it? I sure wasn't out to steal anyone's deer when my freezer is pretty full, but I sure wasn't looking to shoot deer for strangers either.

Sorry I made this really long, but I am still extremely upset about the whole thing. A bit mad, but mostly upset.

If somehow any of those guys are actually forum members and read this and realize that was you, message me I guess. I sure has heck wasn't trying to screw you over and steal a deer. But I also felt like I didn't have an option of calling a game warden to work it out the way you/those guys were acting. And I sure don't like being called a liar and I sure didn't claim ya'll never even shot/shot at the deer. But you didn't tag it and you sure didn't make me feel like I had any option other than letting you have the deer and walk away or you were going to cause me some kind of serious trouble.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    First of all I think it's your deer.

That said, I don't see anything good coming from calling the DNR. It becomes he-said he-said. They are liable to believe neither of you and write you both up on made up shit, because they are constipated that day.

I would have given up the deer because there are so many in this state, if someone is that desperate let em have it. I have already donated 3 deer this year.

If they call the DNR, which seems very unlikely, just tell them your side. Sucks a lot but get out there and kill another.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    I probably would’ve called DNR. I doubt it’s anything they can or will do about it now. It sounds like to me those guys stole your deer, they better be careful, where I come from that is a very dangerous game.

OneGunTex

Escaped Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Southern Maryland, no longer
    Lazarus, I'm sure you are in the right and killed that deer, and you were right by tagging it.

You were also right to let them have the deer. No deer is worth getting into an altercation where everyone is standing around with loaded shotguns.

Should you have called the warden? Maybe. Especially if there was a pressing need for you to have that deer, or they did something clearly illegal/dangerous. And even then, best to extricate yourself, get photos/plate #s, and then call it in.

Glad you are safe man.
    There's always another deer.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    There are 2 options.

1) tag the deer before moving it. This is the traditional method.

2) Report the harvest electronically and get a confirmation number from DNR, before moving the animal. Some hunters are doing this so they can go straight to their processor.

Both are legal methods for transporting a harvest.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Also thanks guys. My family isn’t going to starve without it and I’ve got the venison to last me till next season even if I don’t shoot another before the season closes.

If it was some amazing trophy buck or it meant my family wasn’t going to eat I would have risked digging in my heels. Hell if I knew I had cell signal and could easily call NRP I probably would have even if it was just to have the game warden tell me it was the other guys deer.

I would have gotten plate numbers, but they were parked a couple hundred yards down the road and as I was driving by what I thought were their trucks (a MD and PA plate) at least one of their buddies was standing there with radio in hand. So stopping to take pictures or memorize plate numbers didn’t seem like a good idea.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    There are 2 options.

1) tag the deer before moving it. This is the traditional method.

2) Report the harvest electronically and get a confirmation number from DNR, before moving the animal. Some hunters are doing this so they can go straight to their processor.

On #2, I was aware. Which is why I wasn’t that confident they were violating tagging requirements. But the guy sure wasn’t claiming he tagged it or called it in already. Just that he found his deer a little while ago and then went to help his buddies haul up the other deer.

It wasn’t an accusation that I was stealing it. It was they didn’t believe I shot it and it was rightfully theirs.

It felt then, and now, like if he had called it in, especially being a cop, that’s the sort of thing he’d mention that I tagged his deer he’d already reported.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    This was all on public land. GRSF

Only asked because it becomes a very different question if they tried to claim it on private land where you were permitted and they were not. Others said it appropriately above for this scenario.

Ingoes is right on - tagging it immediately either manually (removes any doubt) or electronically removes a good bit of any question to those on scene after the fact.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    On #2, I was aware. Which is why I wasn’t that confident they were violating tagging requirements. But the guy sure wasn’t claiming he tagged it or called it in already. Just that he found his deer a little while ago and then went to help his buddies haul up the other deer.

It wasn’t an accusation that I was stealing it. It was they didn’t believe I shot it and it was rightfully theirs.

It felt then, and now, like if he had called it in, especially being a cop, that’s the sort of thing he’d mention that I tagged his deer he’d already reported.

Dude may have been trying to be an opportunist.

Most likely why he gave up, and went to help his buddies.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    One time me and a buddy stalked up a hill to be able to peer down the other side.
    I looked over at him to confirm his position before before beginning to glass the bottom for game.
    Anyway, right before I turned my head and grab my glasses I saw him point his rifle up in the air and fire a shot.

It was at that time he ran off down the hill. Stupefied I couldn't figure out what the hell he was doing or what was going on.
    So when he stopped, I could tell a deer was laid out before him.

I went over there and found a pretty dam decent buck that was still steaming from a gunshot wound. I was surprised he could even see it by eye from the distance he ran to it.
    He told me, " I got him!"
    I said no you didn't you frickin knucklehead, you shot your rifle up in the air and then ran down there like you just did something.

He said, I know I didn't but thought I would say I did. -You got me.
    He asked, What should we do? I told him I didn't even hear a shot but lets wait and see who comes along.
    After a while he whistled with his fingers in between the corners of his mouth and there was no response. We waited some more and he said we shouldn't leave it here should we?
    I said hell no but I'm not putting a tag on it but you can if you want to.
    He tagged it, gutted it and I helped him drag it out. I remember thinking we were a little farther in than I had thought and was pissed my hunt was spoiled.

Anyway, we never did see anyone and I'm sure if we would have just let it there it would have been a waste.
    Back then you had to take them to a check in station so we headed over to that filling station on the curve heading west up the road of the other side of the Greenridge state lands. I cant remember the name of it it's been so long ago- Shipways I think, its been so long I ve been out there.

You know when we got there a biologist wanted to take the jawbone from it (first time i had ever seen that too) and by this time my hunting buddy had fully convinced himself he killed that deer fair and square.
    Even to the point he asked if I wouldn't mind on the ride back home if I didn't tell anyone what really happened and how he got it.

When I learned he took it somewhere to get mounted I decided it would be the last time I would ever go hunting with him.
    He was from the city, Baltimore Hunter Lol.
    My buddy Jeff, haven't seen him in years hope he's doing well it was so long ago.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    They sound like bad shots. There could be a second deer out there that they killed, this one they only wounded

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    One time me and a buddy stalked up a hill to be able to peer down the other side.
    I looked over at him to confirm his position before before beginning to glass the bottom for game.
    Anyway, right before I turned my head and grab my glasses I saw him point his rifle up in the air and fire a shot.

It was at that time he ran off down the hill. Stupefied I couldn't figure out what the hell he was doing or what was going on.
    So when he stopped, I could tell a deer was laid out before him.

I went over there and found a pretty dam decent buck that was still steaming from a gunshot wound. I was surprised he could even see it by eye from the distance he ran to it.
    He told me, " I got him!"
    I said no you didn't you frickin knucklehead, you shot your rifle up in the air and then ran down there like you just did something.

He said, I know I didn't but thought I would say I did. -You got me.
    He asked, What should we do? I told him I didn't even hear a shot but lets wait and see who comes along.
    After a while he whistled with his fingers in between the corners of his mouth and there was no response. We waited some more and he said we shouldn't leave it here should we?
    I said hell no but I'm not putting a tag on it but you can if you want to.
    He tagged it, gutted it and I helped him drag it out. I remember thinking we were a little farther in than I had thought and was pissed my hunt was spoiled.

Anyway, we never did see anyone and I'm sure if we would have just let it there it would have been a waste.
    Back then you had to take them to a check in station so we headed over to that filling station on the curve heading west up the road of the other side of the Greenridge state lands. I cant remember the name of it it's been so long ago- Shipways I think, its been so long I ve been out there.

You know when we got there a biologist wanted to take the jawbone from it (first time i had ever seen that too) and by this time my hunting buddy had fully convinced himself he killed that deer fair and square.
    Even to the point he asked if I wouldn't mind on the ride back home if I didn't tell anyone what really happened and how he got it.

When I learned he took it somewhere to get mounted I decided it would be the last time I would ever go hunting with him.
    He was from the city, Baltimore Hunter Lol.
    My buddy Jeff, haven't seen him in years hope he's doing well it was so long ago.

Wow- you sure learned a lot about your friend that day. I wouldn’t have a problem taking it if no one else claimed it, but damned if I would say I shot it.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    You shot it last, you tagged it first, IT IS YOUR DEER!

I got to be honest. I would never fight with a friend over an animal like that. But I would have dug my heals in and loaded my gun. They used obvious intimidation tactics on you. "We got more friends a radio call away." Like they will beat or kill you if you don't give up the deer?

They were playing a hard ball and you selected not to as you were outnumbered. I'd love to find out who they are as karma is a bitch. I've had a couple people do me wrong, and they were sorry about it later on.

Doco, Ethics makes the man, You are better off without him. If he'd do that, he'd cut you when it suited him best.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    You shot it last, you tagged it first, IT IS YOUR DEER!

I got to be honest. I would never fight with a friend over an animal like that. But I would have dug my heals in and loaded my gun. They used obvious intimidation tactics on you. "We got more friends a radio call away." Like they will beat or kill you if you don't give up the deer?

They were playing a hard ball and you selected not to as you were outnumbered. I'd love to find out who they are as karma is a bitch. I've had a couple people do me wrong, and they were sorry about it later on.

Doco, Ethics makes the man, You are better off without him. If he'd do that, he'd cut you when it suited him best.

Nah, the only reason to load your gun over a deer is to shoot another deer.

These assholes are already experiencing bad life Karma, the deer was a holiday donation to the less fortunate. light a candle for them or something.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    There are 2 options.

1) tag the deer before moving it. This is the traditional legal method.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    LOL- I bet he fits in well, I think dishonesty is a job requirement with them!

You can trust lot of people with a lot of things in some respects but when it comes to deer hunting or where your most productive stand is, all bets are off.

Second thing is, when you here some one going on about how many does they shot and mid way through the re-enactment story one always gets is you notice they start saying something like,
    And the next thing you know, "He came right on through that little hole in the edge over there" and you already know they killed some does.

Guys are nuts when it comes to deer hunting and I'm not far from the top of the list I guess either.:cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom