• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    don't use names in this thread. I know ppl who work at Exelon, I may even know who it is. delete.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    F**k Mean Ridge! It's full of Frednecks. Too many A-holes hunt that place. I always hunted(when I had to hunt public land) all the Garrett State Forests. More of them and fewer A-holes.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Wow- you sure learned a lot about your friend that day. I wouldn’t have a problem taking it if no one else claimed it, but damned if I would say I shot it.

Dang, yeah. If I ran across a shot and dead deer unless I knew it was recent (if old, I’d let it rot) I’d probably check back later and see if anyone retrieved it and if not call DNR and ask them. Of course cell phones being everywhere and not more than a quarter mile hike to cell service where I could call them. I wouldn’t want something to go to waste, but I am not going to (and wasn’t trying to) steal someone’s deer if they are going to come claim it.

I try to do the right thing, but I also get pretty upset when I feel like someone else isn’t.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Dang, yeah. If I ran across a shot and dead deer unless I knew it was recent (if old, I’d let it rot) I’d probably check back later and see if anyone retrieved it and if not call DNR and ask them. Of course cell phones being everywhere and not more than a quarter mile hike to cell service where I could call them. I wouldn’t want something to go to waste, but I am not going to (and wasn’t trying to) steal someone’s deer if they are going to come claim it.

I try to do the right thing, but I also get pretty upset when I feel like someone else isn’t.

You did the right thing. You are safe, and there are plenty of deer in the woods. Fvck those douche bags! I hope they choke on the backstraps, karma is a bitch.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Wow, what a bunch of dicks. I doubt that guy was a cop. Also wonder if they even had their deer permits. Just trying to get as many as they could and get out of there.

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    One of those things that can happen on public. Sounds like there is some uncertainty involved. But they were d!cks, whether cops or not, and handled it poorly. Better to walk away since it wasn’t a trophy but I would of snapped a pic of them for coverage.

He/she who puts the deer down and tags it gets it, of course depending on the individuals it can go in many scenarios. Best case Hunters are both stand up individuals and insists the other take it or worst case one is a douch and wants to fight for it. This scenario is one reason I never hunted public during firearms alone.

Happened to me once also but not as negatively as your experience. I shot a deer and dropped it, I have two witnesses, 2 guys come up during the gutting and one says thanks for taking care of my deer, I say you mean my deer, the same one says we’ve been tracking it for nearly a mile(snow on ground so easy), his buddy says “I told you someone was gonna shoot it going this far, I say that sucks but you shot it in the knee - not fatal unless infection sets in and this is only my second deer ever, his buddy was better than him and agreed it was my deer said let’s go and they left.

Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    I don't understand the "if I call it mine enough times it will be mentality"

If I didn't shoot it, I don't want it. I had a buddy swear time and time again he shot a small buck another hunter finished off... no proof, just wanted to claim it his, neither found it, I tracked it the next morning and found it ate up. I think he just didn't want to think his deer limped off wounded.

I certainly would never get a deer mounted I didn't kill, I'd cut the antlers and give them to someone's dog before hanging it like a proud kill.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I certainly would never get a deer mounted I didn't kill, I'd cut the antlers and give them to someone's dog before hanging it like a proud kill.
    He probably came up with a spectacular story about how he got it too.

Regarding the original post, man - that whole situation just stinks. Based on your side of it, I'm pretty sure it was your deer - both the killing shot, and the fact that you'd tagged it first.

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone having an issue like this in Nebraska where I'm from - there aren't so many people out hunting that there is going to be confusion about the same deer.

Regarding the guy who said he was a cop, I'd have asked to see his badge. My Dad was career law enforcement and NEVER went anywhere without a badge - he had a tooled leather folder-over badge holder with his police officer's ID in it, and he carried it everywhere he went.

Based on what you said, I believe you were in the right, but when you're out in the woods with a bunch of rednecks and it's 3 on 1, the smart move is to walk away, which you did.

It still stinks though, and I'd be upset too.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    You should have put more bullet holes in it then say,here you go...its yours

Honestly I am upset I did a really nice job field dressing it. A fragment had ripped the rumen, which to me was another tell that I hit it. There was just about zero stomach contents in its abdominal cavity. If it had been walking or running around with a stomach wound for the hour or so since that guy claimed he'd shot the deer there would have been a ton more crap in the abdominal cavity from that wound. Couple times I've dressed deer with even small rumen penetrations have had a bunch of stuff in their abdominal cavities from it (and I didn't nick the rumen dressing, it was the front of the rumen near the liver, not the top that was nicked).

So I was super careful about removing everything to keep the stuff that was starting to ooze out of the rumen from just spilling and smearing all inside the body cavity.

Maybe I should have grabbed the gut pile and stuffed it back in and said "fine, you can have the whole thing".

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    You might feel a slight sting. That’s pride f—king with you.
    You did the right thing but damn it had to suck.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    This is why i stay out of the woods during gun season. People are idiots.

Who fires 4 shots at a deer? Bastard probably missed all 4 times. Probably never sighted his gun in.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie

Who fires 4 shots at a deer? Bastard probably missed all 4 times. Probably never sighted his gun in.
    There are a lot of "shooters" out there who can't shoot for diddly.

I once went shooting with a guy who'd bought a brand new rifle as his prairie dog gun - Remington 700 in .223 with a nice aftermarket synthetic stock and decent 3x9 scope. He was shooting to sight in, I was shooting for groups.

My groups were all sub 1" - that gun was a solid gun. His groups? 3-4 inches. I don't tell this story to try to brag - I've always been a decent shot - but rather to illustrate that even with a nice rifle he was missing his point of aim by inches at 100 yards with a gun that was a sub-MOA gun.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Glad your safe. If you decide to tag in future and leave to get your cart, take a pic with phone before leaving it. That way you have separate proof with date and time that you tagged the dear. If you just leave the tag, it can be removed. Best advice would be electronic report and confirmation number if you had cell service.

To bad some dickheads lose their senses over a little meat and bones.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member

One day I’ll go on about the guy from NSa who nearly shot me walking back to my truck on Hicksburg rd.
    ( shooting at a running doe over towards the road )
    I’d give his name but he doesn’t have to worry about it anymore because he thought that NSA ******** was going to help him)
    Maybe he works at a convenience store now or something.
    Talk about lying to an officer. That will get you no- where quick over here in the county.
    Especially when the Sheriff/ DNR might be related to the complainant.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Honestly I am upset I did a really nice job field dressing it. A fragment had ripped the rumen, which to me was another tell that I hit it. There was just about zero stomach contents in its abdominal cavity. If it had been walking or running around with a stomach wound for the hour or so since that guy claimed he'd shot the deer there would have been a ton more crap in the abdominal cavity from that wound. Couple times I've dressed deer with even small rumen penetrations have had a bunch of stuff in their abdominal cavities from it (and I didn't nick the rumen dressing, it was the front of the rumen near the liver, not the top that was nicked).

So I was super careful about removing everything to keep the stuff that was starting to ooze out of the rumen from just spilling and smearing all inside the body cavity.

Maybe I should have grabbed the gut pile and stuffed it back in and said "fine, you can have the whole thing".

put the guts back,then add more bullet holes :lol2:

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    How soon after tagging does a hunter need to call it in to the DNR? Would the DNR keep a record of whether they had any reports of tagged deers from a specific area within constrained time periods? Wondering if these guys even bothered to report the deer they harvested, on their own and from Lazarus. Totally classless. Even if they legitimately thought it was their kill and properly reported it, should have at least made the gesture to offer to split the meat after the work that Lazarus had done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom