• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Not going to say what may have been done in a similar situation with the carcass.....I doubt that the idiot in question will ever touch another deer that he didn't shoot himself and watch expire ever again, let alone try to take someone else's harvest.

Putting the guts back in would be a good start but I suggest that you get a bit more creative, just saying.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Looks like you ran into a couple of bubba's who heard your shot and decided to "hee hee huh huh" over their secret squirrel hunter radio to find your deer

I got told a reverse story as yours by a camo wearer at a trap/skeet club (that I perceived he actually stole someone's deer) but wordsmithed it onto an ongoing novel about how it was really his.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    How soon after tagging does a hunter need to call it in to the DNR? Would the DNR keep a record of whether they had any reports of tagged deers from a specific area within constrained time periods? Wondering if these guys even bothered to report the deer they harvested, on their own and from Lazarus. Totally classless. Even if they legitimately thought it was their kill and properly reported it, should have at least made the gesture to offer to split the meat after the work that Lazarus had done.

https://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/deer-turkey-tagging-checking

24 hours. But you need to either tag it OR get a confirm #before moving it.

Your confirm number consists of:
    * first 4 digits are unique to you (1563) tied to your DNR id.
    * next 4 digits are the date (say 1213)
    * final 4 digits are location and harvest information. So if you killed it in Montgomery county, it could be "6MO3", which means Montgomery County. I am pretty sure that the last digit ("3") indicates doe/buck (even numbers are does, odd #s bucks), and the first digit "6" is the number of that type killed that day (so 6 bucks killed on 1213). All my does end in 2,4,6. All my bucks end in 1.

so 156312136MO3 would be a confirm number. They will be able to tie it to the specific land code and other info you entered (doe/buck, # antler points, time you called it in, etc.).

SO for example, if you claim to kill a deer on xxxx date, they can look and see if they have a confirm number YYYYxxxx where YYYY is unique to your DNR ID. If you say you killed it on land code in county ZZ, they can look and find a confirm YYYYxxxx?ZZ? If its a buck I am pretty sure it will be YYYYxxxx?ZZ1

etc.

Edit: and yes I am a nerd for decoding the confirm numbers.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Thanks. So if Lazarus reported the incident, if the land code was narrow enough and there wasn't a lot of other hunting on that land in the time frame, the DNR would know that it might have been an illegal harvest if no tags were submitted.

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    https://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/deer-turkey-tagging-checking

24 hours. But you need to either tag it OR get a confirm #before moving it.

Your confirm number consists of:
    * first 4 digits are unique to you (1563) tied to your DNR id.
    * next 4 digits are the date (say 1213)
    * final 4 digits are location and harvest information. So if you killed it in Montgomery county, it could be "6MO3", which means Montgomery County. I am pretty sure that the last digit ("3") indicates doe/buck (even numbers are does, odd #s bucks), and the first digit "6" is the number of that type killed that day (so 6 bucks killed on 1213). All my does end in 2,4,6. All my bucks end in 1.

so 156312136MO3 would be a confirm number. They will be able to tie it to the specific land code and other info you entered (doe/buck, # antler points, time you called it in, etc.).

SO for example, if you claim to kill a deer on xxxx date, they can look and see if they have a confirm number YYYYxxxx where YYYY is unique to your DNR ID. If you say you killed it on land code in county ZZ, they can look and find a confirm YYYYxxxx?ZZ? If its a buck I am pretty sure it will be YYYYxxxx?ZZ1

etc.

Edit: and yes I am a nerd for decoding the confirm numbers.

I have a 3CL2 buck and a 2CL1 female.

nm, looks like i wrote them in the wrong spot on my harvest record. mdcompass agrees with your decode.

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    I've been told in the past that if hunter A shoots a deer and it runs and then hunter B shoots the deer its hunter 2's deer. You should have gone to your car or truck and call DNR and explained the situation to them and let them handle it.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Thanks. So if Lazarus reported the incident, if the land code was narrow enough and there wasn't a lot of other hunting on that land in the time frame, the DNR would know that it might have been an illegal harvest if no tags were submitted.

Maybe if they could investigate thoroughly enough.
    He should have registered the kill to have something for them to go by.
    I bet those guys called in neither one of the two deer they collected that day anyhow.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    If first shot is a mortal wound they win. At least that’s how I always heard it and agree with that mentality. I’m thinking the dic$ bag truly thought it was his deer.
    That exact thing happened this year with a friend. He finished it off but called the neighbors to let them know he had found their deer.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If I didn't have private land to hunt, I probably wouldn't hunt at all.

The only time I was almost shot during deer season was on private land, surrounded by private land.

And by "almost" I mean the first couple rounds buzzed by me like pissed off hornets. The last round was a CRACK by my head. All the rounds came in before I realized what I was hearing. I heard the shot reports after I heard the rounds go by.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    The only time I was almost shot during deer season was on private land, surrounded by private land.

And by "almost" I mean the first couple rounds buzzed by me like pissed off hornets. The last round was a CRACK by my head. All the rounds came in before I realized what I was hearing. I heard the shot reports after I heard the rounds go by.

Reminds me: from the movie Sargent York; “you never hear the one with your name on it”.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter

Holy crap. Were you hunting in the Argonne... in 1918?

I would have been sorely tempted to return fire. Glad you got out safe, brother... people suck.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Legally , the final shot ( or arrow or whatever) that puts down the game , is the person who gets it .

As matter of good sportsmanship , if not morally , in a situation where the deer is obviously already mortally wounded , it is courteous to differ .

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County

That'll teach you to sit in someone else's ladder stand!
    :innocent0

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Reminds me: from the movie Sargent York; “you never hear the one with your name on it”.
    These were addressed "To whom it may concern..." :shocked2:

Holy crap. Were you hunting in the Argonne... in 1918?

I would have been sorely tempted to return fire. Glad you got out safe, brother... people suck.

I had just dragged a dead doe off a plateau down to the main trail back to my truck. The trail was on our property with a thin strip of wild junipers between me and the neighboring farm pasture. Unfortunately, as I came off the plateau, I jumped up a small herd of does that then headed straight toward the pasture where someone(probably the farmer's kid) was hunting from a barn, saw the deer and opened up. They couldn't see me because of the junipers. I talked to the farmer about it. I know him. I'm sure somebody got a real ass chewing that day.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I had just dragged a dead doe off a plateau down to the main trail back to my truck. The trail was on our property with a thin strip of wild junipers between me and the neighboring farm pasture. Unfortunately, as I came off the plateau, I jumped up a small herd of does that then headed straight toward the pasture where someone(probably the farmer's kid) was hunting from a barn, saw the deer and opened up. They couldn't see me because of the junipers. I talked to the farmer about it. I know him. I'm sure somebody got a real ass chewing that day.

Key words in my case were, well old Jim here said shoot shoot shoot.
    Theirs some frickin morons out there for sure.
    Amateur hour no matter where you go.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Key words in my case were, well old Jim here said shoot shoot shoot.
    Theirs some frickin morons out there for sure.
    Amateur hour no matter where you go.

Eventually, you learn who to hunt with and who not to. And then you realize you'd rather just be alone. I got spoiled. I had a crappy little farm that I hunted exclusively alone for 18 years. Then I lost it a couple years ago. Crappy farm but a pretty decent place to kill deer. Nothing lasts forever I 'spect...

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Eventually, you learn who to hunt with and who not to. And then you realize you'd rather just be alone. I got spoiled. I had a crappy little farm that I hunted exclusively alone for 18 years. Then I lost it a couple years ago. Crappy farm but a pretty decent place to kill deer. Nothing lasts forever I 'spect...

Thats right. Sometimes I think its best just to not see anyone or have to deal with any others in or near the same place.
    I'd rather see no deer than other hunters with non productive technique any day.
    Ill have to get up with Lazarus one day and take him over to a place
    if he wants to where he can have at em without worrying about some surly goons to have to deal with.
    I think these days I get more of a kick seeing others especially those with a little heart get it on.
    What he described is way out of line for how it should be and shameful of the type of so called sportsman that's out there these days.
    "Lying to an officer is a crime".
    Gimme a break....... learned behavior for sure, wonder where that came from.:rolleyes:

cww

Jan 28, 2010

Same here, twice, on different properties, once walking in before legal light and once while sitting in my climber

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom