• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • twybyll

Jan 20, 2021
    MD
    Its true you can only have 10 active projects at one time hosted on their cloud server. However you can archive as many projects as you want on your own PC. A lot of the other changes were removal of some if the design and engineering modules. As well as removal of the CAM module. I do have a paid license, but honestly I could do 90% of what I do with the hobby license. The only reason I pay os to use the CAM module.

Yeah, I never caught on to their CAM tools and so I use other software, but my level of use is probably much closer to hobbyist than business compared to yours. Like I said in another thread, I love the app, but currently I don't want to risk putting my models in a spot whose license is subject and likely to change. I just hate this subscription thing that companies are running towards.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Yeah, I never caught on to their CAM tools and so I use other software, but my level of use is probably much closer to hobbyist than business compared to yours. Like I said in another thread, I love the app, but currently I don't want to risk putting my models in a spot whose license is subject and likely to change. I just hate this subscription thing that companies are running towards.

I have some hesitation with leaving designs on their cloud server. I always make a local copy once I’m done the design. I also export the models to .Step and .stl files. This way if I do ever choose to stop subscribing to the service my models are safe.

The subscription software model is a tough pill for me to swallow to. I’m from the software generation that paid for something and it was yours. However, in some ways I’ve come to embrace subscription models. One good example is Adobe Photoshop. That software package used to cost $500 20 yrs ago. However technology changes quickly and if you use that software for your business you would be paying for annual upgrades anyway. Now today they charge $9.99 per month for package that includes PS, LightRoom and a few other items. The software package is basically the industry standard tool. Anyone can always have the latest and greatest version for $120 per year. So in many ways great software is more affordable than it was before, and the subscriber model ensures consists revenue to fund the development stream.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    FWIW, I've used Alibre forever. (Back when they were Alibre, then Geomagic when 3DS bought them, then spun off to Alibre again.) Works like Solid Works and all the other big name cad systems. The fouders were orig ex-solid works developers. Their hobby level stuff goes on sale for ~$100 once in a while. There is a free trial avail. I'm fairly sure the hobby level includes CAM for stuff like 2D printing. Its buy once, use forever.

twybyll

Jan 20, 2021
    MD
    FWIW, I've used Alibre forever. (Back when they were Alibre, then Geomagic when 3DS bought them, then spun off to Alibre again.) Works like Solid Works and all the other big name cad systems. The fouders were orig ex-solid works developers. Their hobby level stuff goes on sale for ~$100 once in a while. There is a free trial avail. I'm fairly sure the hobby level includes CAM for stuff like 2D printing. Its buy once, use forever.

Good to hear that, they're the one I'm going to try next once I get a good chunk of free time.

twybyll

Jan 20, 2021
    MD
    Anyone can always have the latest and greatest version for $120 per year. So in many ways great software is more affordable than it was before, and the subscriber model ensures consists revenue to fund the development stream.

The thing is, I don't need the latest and greatest. I can get a lot done with sketches, extrudes, and an odd fillet. I don't need (or want) cloud storage; I've already paid for separate CAM software. So paying for a subscription feels like a huge ongoing cost for nothing that I benefit from. But, there's no pay-once model outside of the subscription for F360, so with this latest license update it finally made me start looking outside the ecosystem.

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    The problem with pla is that it is brittle and lacks toughness. Print an ar15 lower or a benchy in pla then throw it at a concrete floor. You now have several pieces. You can do the same test with Ninjatek Armadillo or eSun PA6 all day without damage. You can even run them over with a car and they mostly survive.

Mags get dropped all the time, while pla is easy to print, it is not optimal.

twybyll

Jan 20, 2021
    MD
    The problem with pla is that it is brittle and lacks toughness. Print an ar15 lower or a benchy in pla then throw it at a concrete floor. You now have several pieces. You can do the same test with Ninjatek Armadillo or eSun PA6 all day without damage. You can even run them over with a car and they mostly survive.

PLA+ is a different beast though, it generally has added strength and better properties. of course "PLA+" isn't a standard, so different brands may have different qualities. Like I said, the FOSSCAD community recommends it for initial prints.

Would a lower in Armadillo work? I thought that's flexy, shore 75 stuff?

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    PLA+ is a different beast though, it generally has added strength and better properties. of course "PLA+" isn't a standard, so different brands may have different qualities. Like I said, the FOSSCAD community recommends it for initial prints.

Would a lower in Armadillo work? I thought that's flexy, shore 75 stuff?

I wouldnt use it for a lower, it is too flexy. It is significantly harder than normal tpu. The D in 75D is a different scale from the 85A in normal tpu. https://ik.imagekit.io/Mc121541/pub/media/wysiwyg/shore_chart.jpg

PA-CF or PC-CF would be the idle materials for a lower, but then you are excluding the whole stock ender3 crowd.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country

My experience with normal pla is that is is highly impact resistant. More so than ABS. PLA+ is even more so. I’ve got parts that I’ve printed out of normal PLA and PLA+ that will not shatter when dropped, or even thrown at a concrete floor.

I’ve printed with PC-CF filaments and lots of PETG and they are stronger in terms if tensile strength but the foscad reddit post seem to recommend PLA+ for most firearm frames. Some CF filament suffer from poor layer adhesion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom