• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    I have only hunted waterfowl from a blind along a cornfield. This Saturday, heading out as a guest (non payee guest) of a neighbor, hunting from a blind on the river. Don’t know exact location, just somewhere over the bridge. He is working mucho hours and we haven’t had a sit down to talk on the specifics of the trip.

Don’t have hip boots and or waders, just a pair of the hi-cut MuckMaster boots, Drake insulated waterproof bib overalls. The cuffs of the overalls is just above ankle. Of course the boots fit under the overalls.

Assume if the blind is along the water, I will be walking in water that will saturate the lower part of by overalls.

The placement of decoys etc is the responsibility of the outfitter.

Any words of wisdom?

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    They should tell you in advance if waders are required. If not, your knee boots should be fine. Wear dull colored or camo clothing and most importantly...don't shoot when the dog is working and be still :)

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    They should tell you in advance if waders are required. If not, your knee boots should be fine. Wear dull colored or camo clothing and most importantly...don't shoot when the dog is working and be still :)

Hunted over dogs since a 10 year old in Western Pa, with my beagle star-blazer.

I am sure my neighbor has all the info, but he works too many friggin hours…

Therefore, was jumping the gun on a tip on keeping the lower part of my overalls dry. Was planning on hiking them up and walk through the water. :-)

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    When hunting around water,leave nothing to chance.I would at least have knee high water PROOF boots. Waterlogged. cold feet will ruin your day

Mud is another thing to think about...its almost a guarantee it will be there

Last edited:

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    chest waders are always a good bet, hip boots still equal a wet ass a lot of the time. Plain old tall boots are asking for wet something. been duck hunting mostly seriously since about 1990...

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    If it was me, I’d try to talk with guy inviting me. Now you said he’s busy and not readily available.

I’d wear the stuff I owned and apologize for it maybe not being good enough. And say I’m using this trip as a learning experience. If it looks you’d be going again, you can use notes from this trip to prepare in the future.

If there’s a guide, they’re probably going to work the retrieves on this trip. And again, if not, just apologize and be prepared in the future based on this experience if you like it.

I promise you if you have to walk in the water along a river shoreline in Maryland you're going to find a hole and your knee high boots aren't going to be high enough. If waders are recommended I would strongly urge you to find a pair. The water temp is probably going to be in the 40s. If your feet get wet you're going to be miserable and ruin your (and possibly everyone else's) day.

ALWAYS overdress...better be safe than sorry.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Ask your buddy if he's been to the blind before.
    Maybe they have a boardwalk built and you can wear your knee boots if your lucky and not worry about it.
    Check the tides too. If the winds right (which it should be for a good duck blind) you might be able to trot out a little bit with care.
    Otherwise for a one time trip I wouldn't invest in chest waders, just get a cheap pair of hippers that you might be able to use elsewhere.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Vaccination certificate.

Yeah, the ducks will most likely want to inspect that before being shot at. The survivors don't want Covid.

In all seriousness to the OP, I would most likely wear a pair of waders. I went with the "wear what I have" method when I was in law school and I went on my first waterfowl hunt on Elliott's Island. Yeah, I was soaked from head to toe right from the beginning. Boots got soaked just walking to our spot and then it started raining on us. Saving grace is that it was early season in October. Vowed to myself that I would never be cold again while hunting or fishing and bought really nice gear for it. Should probably replace my 25 year old wading jacket though because the tech is so much better nowadays.

I guess see what the outfitter says today about what you should wear and then wear that and better. Waterfowling usually involves a good amount of water. Even hunting in cut cornfields I have seen plenty of snow and rain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom