• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tenn870

Jun 14, 2010
    Western MD
    I have read some conflicting info on this topic and am interested in some input from here. I have a Beretta 92x and a Silencerco threaded barrel on the way. I will be putting a Dead Air Ghost M on it. Do I need to use a piston or can I just direct thread?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I wouldn’t think you would need a booster with it being a basically fixed barrel.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    I use a piston. Works great.

Also "I need to use a piston or can I just direct thread? " is not the question. I direct thread my piston onto the 92.

I figure what you mean is whether you need a piston or a fixed barrel spacer.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Silencertalk reports mixed results.

My experience is that asking questions on the internet yields mixed results.

Going to the range with a 92 and a can yields reliable results.

.. which I have and I am also in serious need of magazine therapy lol

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    My experience is that asking questions on the internet yields mixed results.

Going to the range with a 92 and a can yields reliable results.

.. which I have and I am also in serious need of magazine therapy lol

Well then, we will find that config is either 100% reliable, or 100% unreliable. I await your published results.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Well then, we will find that config is either 100% reliable, or 100% unreliable. I await your published results.

According to the internet:

it is going to mainly depend on the weight of the can, slowly followed by the amount of recoil for that cartridge.

I can test this. In a few days I will have a brand new lightweight Ti 9mm, no booster, I will run it against my Rev9 stainless/alum with and without booster in K config and report the results on a scale of 5-10 smiles.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    According to the internet:

I can test this. In a few days I will have a brand new lightweight Ti 9mm, no booster, I will run it against my Rev9 stainless/alum with and without bosster in K config and report the results on a scale of 5-10 smiles.

Lol. That makes sense. The locking mechanism needs less energy to move everything + can, so a lighter can and/or hot load can work sans booster.

rfawcs

Si Se Pwodway
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 15, 2008
    Waldorf, MD
    I used a non-boosted suppressor on my Beretta 92 without any problem. It just wasn't as quiet as I expected. I use the same can on my 9mm AR and it works great.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Can weight and load used will determine results. I don't have the results handy but some time back I compared a yhm pistol can with a linear decoupler to a johns guns pistol can (no decoupler) on a threaded 92 compact (regular 92 barrel cut and threaded so it functioned as extended). Both cans ran reliably but the yhm was significantly heavier and seemed to have four separately discernable events during the operational cycle. This was attributed to the decoupler as the johns guns felt like a slightly front heavy gun but the operational cycle was normal in perception to the shooters. In short, pistol cans really aren't that quiet. Even though the JG can was a bit louder, I'd take it simply due to the more normal cycling feel. This abnormal feel seems to present on most decoupler equipped can/pistol combos I have had occasion to try, so don't take it as being beretta/p38/p5 specific.

Ammo used was handloaded 147 and 158 subsonic, none of it loaded "light". Loads cycle pistols and subguns without cans just fine.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Cans are never as quiet as people expect them to be, mostly because they form expectations from movies and video games.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Can weight and load used will determine results. I don't have the results handy but some time back I compared a yhm pistol can with a linear decoupler to a johns guns pistol can (no decoupler) on a threaded 92 compact (regular 92 barrel cut and threaded so it functioned as extended). Both cans ran reliably but the yhm was significantly heavier and seemed to have four separately discernable events during the operational cycle. This was attributed to the decoupler as the johns guns felt like a slightly front heavy gun but the operational cycle was normal in perception to the shooters. In short, pistol cans really aren't that quiet. Even though the JG can was a bit louder, I'd take it simply due to the more normal cycling feel. This abnormal feel seems to present on most decoupler equipped can/pistol combos I have had occasion to try, so don't take it as being beretta/p38/p5 specific.

Ammo used was handloaded 147 and 158 subsonic, none of it loaded "light". Loads cycle pistols and subguns without cans just fine.
    You probably get more ejector bark with the lighter can. I’d be interested in the perception from 25 feet away.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    You probably get more ejector bark with the lighter can. I’d be interested in the perception from 25 feet away.

The lighter can had less internal volume and fewer baffles. All around smaller, lighter, and louder. My reasoning for liking it was the similarity in perceived recoil to an unsuppressed pistol. Didn't have to think about the different feel to remember to drive the gun differently to reacquire the sights for subsequent shots. Any event that requires the use of a suppressed pistol, I will have plenty on my mind. I want the shooting part to be as much like normal practice as possible. Add in that I hate cleaning the pistols after suppressed use (not to mention the cans) and the requirements for maintaining the decoupler systems and I much prefer to go with a subgun. If I have to use a centerfire pistol with a can, my favorites would probably be p7/p7m8, p9s, beretta 92 (normally not a gun I like), and from there I'd go down to blowback guns like a ppk, makarov, or bersa. I own a can with a decoupler and I think it is a reliability problem in the long run. Too many parts, too much cleaning/greasing. A solid can on a pistol that doesn't use a short browning action is the way to go when reliable is the number one requirement.

For sheer fun, a 32 pp or ppk with a long, thin, can is very hard to beat. Not a lot of power but a blast to shoot and (other than a 22) about as close as you can get to movie quiet.

bibitor

Kulak
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2017
    FEMA Region III
    From my own experience with a Scilencerco Hybrid 46, then Beretta 92 needed an extended piston in order to avoid the recoil rod hitting the suppressor booster housing. This was immediately apperent as cycling the pistol was impossible without the extened piston. Scilencerco makes an extended piston for this very issue. I have a Beretta manufactured threaded barrel.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    From my own experience with a Scilencerco Hybrid 46, then Beretta 92 needed an extended piston in order to avoid the recoil rod hitting the suppressor booster housing. This was immediately apperent as cycling the pistol was impossible without the extened piston. Scilencerco makes an extended piston for this very issue. I have a Beretta manufactured threaded barrel.

Never owned a factory threaded beretta barrel but that's good to know so I don't buy one. For compacts, just used a full size barrel but cut it longer than I guess beretta does to avoid impingement on the recoil spring guide rod. For full sized 92, turn barrel down and thread very fine. Inside thread a sleeve and install on barrel. Turn outside of sleeve to match barrel diameter. Thread end of sleeve for suppressor. You can have it as long as you prefer. Of course, beretta wasn't selling threaded barrels then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom