• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vkosty

MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2021
    Galil ACE SAR pistol 7.62x39 question

Checked the roster and the ACE is not listed as a banned gun.
    I am moving to MD and have Galil Ace 7.62x39 pistol. Do I understand correctly that as long as I register it, it should be OK?
    Thank you in advance for all relevant comments.

Last edited:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Make sure it is on our handgun roster.

It could be a Saturday Night Special.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    galil ace 7.62 pistol is on the roster. I see it for sale and have resisted buying it for to long. Mostly because $1700.

Edit: if you did something fun like SBR it, other rules apply.

Vkosty

MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2021
    Still confused - am I allowed to bring it to MD when I establish MD residence?
    Cannot make sense from the posted regulations (unsurprisingly).
    Thank you

galil ace 7.62 pistol is on the roster. I see it for sale and have resisted buying it for to long. Mostly because $1700.

Edit: if you did something fun like SBR it, other rules apply.

Still confused - am I allowed to bring it to MD when I establish MD residence?
    Cannot make sense from the posted regulations (unsurprisingly).
    Thank you

Marylandistan has a handgun roster that any pistol sold within MD must be on. Supposedly it was to prevent super low quality and potential "Saturday Night Specials" from being sold within the state. The current issue is when a high end manufacturer introduces a new pistol, it can take many months before it is sellable in Marylandistan. A good example would be the H&K VP9L (longslide). The VP9 and VP9SK have been A-OK for years, but the long slide version had to go through the whole process too.
    The above being said, your Galil Ace pistol in 7.62x39 is on the roster, so you're "welcome" to bring it in to this hellhole.

FWIW- Geographically, Maryland is one of the best states in the country. Our proximity to DC also means there are lots of well paying jobs and a relative resistance to poor economies. Unfortunately, a Democrat super majority has made it a very unpleasant place for freedom.

Vkosty

MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2021
    Thank you. Does it matter that it has a folding brace and a flash hider? I can change both easily but prefer not to

Thank you. Does it matter that it has a folding brace and a flash hider? I can change both easily but prefer not to

They are both fine.
    The more you learn about Maryland gun laws, the more confused you'll be. Here are a few to try to make sense of...
    1- An AR15 rifle in .223/5.56 that was sold on or after 10/1/2013 must be a heavy barrel. Heavy barrel means stamped as such, or advertised as heavy by the manufacturer. EX- "Bob's Custom AR Company" can make an AR with a pencil barrel and advertise it as a HBAR and it is good to go. Conversely, "Dave's Custom AR Company" can sell a barrel that is 1" thick and not be considered a heavy barrel in Maryland because it wasn't marketed as such. (only applies to the .223/5.56)
    2- An AK47 rifle (and variants with parts interchangeability), have been banned since 10/1/2013. AK pistols are still legal in Maryland

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The OP's answer is Yes , and you must Register It with State Police within 90 days of establishing residency .

But it gets More confusing than that . On the Roster and Banned are two different things , with only partial overlap .

Roster deals with being able to * Purchase * handguns manufactured after certain date in the 1990's . If mfg before that date , no effect .

If already owned before moving into Maryland , doesn't need to be on the Roster , but must be Registered as above .

BANNED Firearms may not be Possessed within the State . Unless owned by YOU Before Oct 1 , 2013, and Thereby Grandfathered . Grandfathered Rifles must be Registered when establishing Residency in same manner as Handguns .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom