• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Well you just cost me $783 + $14 shipping. I stayed strong for several days but the sale lasted too long, wore me down.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Man, I barf a little in my mouth every time I thjn’ about what I paid for mine, back in Feb. Admittedly, I was somewhat panic-buying / on a profit-spending-spree after 4 years of T45 running things. I don’t imagine we’ll ever see braced-A3 prices that low again …

Congratulations, you’re gonna enjoy it!

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Even if I end up hating it, I don’t expect I’ll have to try very hard to sell it for a slight profit.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Just ordered one. We’ll see what happens.
    I bought one from Double M defense and am very happy with it. I recommend going to HB Industries website and ordering the shorter stroke buffer, nonreciprocating charging handle shuttle, and extended bolt stop/bolt release. The shorter stroke buffer still allows the bolt to lock back on an open magazine or manually, but prevents carrier overtravel that leads to malfunctions where spent casings fall into the fire control group. I also bought their flash hider trilug mount but it’s up to you if you’re going to run it suppressed. A standard trilug would be fine too.

https://hbindustries.net/store/product-category/grand-power/stribog/

And if you’re going to run it suppressed (or find yourself unhappy with the recoil), buy one of these:

https://www.ipscstore.com/en/grand-power-stribog/10491-grand-power-stribog-charging-block-40.html

They’re in Estonia but shipping is fast and cheap. Had no issues getting mine quickly.

I’m incredibly happy with mine so far.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Note to self. Don't open this thread anymore.
    For well under a grand (including the parts I mentioned), you get a PCC with modern ergonomics. That has recoil characteristics pretty similar to an MP5 or optimized RDB setup. Little snappier than an optimized MP5 but it’s also a LOT lighter.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I was going to buy one when the op first posted but after watching this i decided not to.
    https://youtu.be/F66jHVibMDY
    MAC brings up valid points but the free market has come up with solutions to the majority of concerns raised in that video.

1.) different locking blocks are available to tune the gun to the ammo of your choice.

2.) inexpensive aftermarket buffers exist that eliminate the issue of spent casings falling into the fcg.

3.) the newer curved magazines have an anti tilt follower. They probably still need stronger springs but I expect something will be along soon and I personally haven’t had issues. I could see that being really frustrating if you already own a ton of the straight mags, but since that does not apply to new buyers, no big deal.

4.) additional lowers (unserialized part) are available if you don’t want to use Stribog mags. You can use scorpion mags and apparently Glock mags in the future. One guy even figured out how to mod his stock lower to take MP5 mags, though I expect he lost LRBHO capability.

With the exception of the optional lowers, which are $200+, everything else is about $100 total. You’re still well under the cost of any other delayed blowback PCC I’m aware of.

MAC tends to turn into a bit of a drama queen when he gets frustrated. On some guns he’s willing to spend thousands of dollars to make them work better, but he’s not willing to spend $100 and 5 minutes on this one to solve his problem?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    MAC brings up valid points but the free market has come up with solutions to the majority of concerns raised in that video.

1.) different locking blocks are available to tune the gun to the ammo of your choice.

2.) inexpensive aftermarket buffers exist that eliminate the issue of spent casings falling into the fcg.

3.) the newer curved magazines have an anti tilt follower. They probably still need stronger springs but I expect something will be along soon and I personally haven’t had issues. I could see that being really frustrating if you already own a ton of the straight mags, but since that does not apply to new buyers, no big deal.

4.) additional lowers (unserialized part) are available if you don’t want to use Stribog mags. You can use scorpion mags and apparently Glock mags in the future. One guy even figured out how to mod his stock lower to take MP5 mags, though I expect he lost LRBHO capability.

With the exception of the optional lowers, which are $200+, everything else is about $100 total. You’re still well under the cost of any other delayed blowback PCC I’m aware of.

MAC tends to turn into a bit of a drama queen when he gets frustrated. On some guns he’s willing to spend thousands of dollars to make them work better, but he’s not willing to spend $100 and 5 minutes on this one to solve his problem?

This is my go to guy and he didn't seem to have much better luck...
    (you shouldn't have to re-engineer a brand new gun to make it work)

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    This is my go to guy and he didn't seem to have much better luck...
    (you shouldn't have to re-engineer a brand new gun to make it work)

Sage Dynamics is pretty good about being impartial. I agree that it’s better to have the gun run 100% from the factory, but since they’re apparently not going to fix it and the parts swap is cheap and easy, I’m not that worried about it. I think it’s worth it to get a compact southpaw friendly delayed blowback PCC for significantly less than the next cheapest option, but others may not.

I’m coming up on 500 rounds (vast majority suppressed), so far zero malfunctions.

Leper Messiah

Aug 18, 2014
    Hey fbi do you have a link for the locking blocks needed for lighter (115gr) loads? Ive looked but don't see them anywhere.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Hey fbi do you have a link for the locking blocks needed for lighter (115gr) loads? Ive looked but don't see them anywhere.
    I would expect the included 45 degree locking block to work fine. They introduced the SP9A3 to the market originally with a 40 degree block under the mistaken assumption it would be shot mostly with 124gr NATO spec ammo (+P). Imagine their surprise when they found out that we Americans are cheapskates and often prefer to run garbage steel cased 115gr 9mm ammo that used to be available for 12-15 cents a round. They eventually issued a recall related to this (and for at least one more serious issue), and replaced the 40 degree locking blocks with U.S. marked 45 degree blocks.

I think I’m out of cheap 115gr plinking ammo (I swapped over to mostly 124gr ammo a few years ago because my guns all seem to do better with it), but if I can find some I’ll run it next week and see how it does with the 45 degree and 40 degree locking blocks, suppressed and unsuppressed.

Leper Messiah

Aug 18, 2014
    That would be awesome if you could. I read alot of reviews on the ones with the replaced blocks and it does seem to correct the problem with lighter loads. Im still on the fence though. I can get a AP5 shipped for $1650 plus transfer. Where are you located? I could donate some 115gr if you're not too far away.

I would expect the included 45 degree locking block to work fine. They introduced the SP9A3 to the market originally with a 40 degree block under the mistaken assumption it would be shot mostly with 124gr NATO spec ammo (+P). Imagine their surprise when they found out that we Americans are cheapskates and often prefer to run garbage steel cased 115gr 9mm ammo that used to be available for 12-15 cents a round. They eventually issued a recall related to this (and for at least one more serious issue), and replaced the 40 degree locking blocks with U.S. marked 45 degree blocks.

I think I’m out of cheap 115gr plinking ammo (I swapped over to mostly 124gr ammo a few years ago because my guns all seem to do better with it), but if I can find some I’ll run it next week and see how it does with the 45 degree and 40 degree locking blocks, suppressed and unsuppressed.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    That would be awesome if you could. I read alot of reviews on the ones with the replaced blocks and it does seem to correct the problem with lighter loads. Im still on the fence though. I can get a AP5 shipped for $1650 plus transfer. Where are you located? I could donate some 115gr if you're not too far away.
    If you’re left handed and want to shoot suppressed, I think the Stribog is the better firearm. Otherwise, I’m never going to try to talk a man out of an MP5 variant. The Stribog is not and never will be a firearm with that pedigree, but it’s really nice.

I’m in Virginia. No need to donate, I’m sure I can find some 115gr locally. I’ve been meaning to test it anyway, and switching locking blocks only takes a second. I dug up some 147 American Eagle when I was cleaning today, so I’ll test that too. That said if you’re willing to drive down to NoVA I’d be happy to meet up at a local range and let you try mine out. Make up your own mind. I typically shoot at Silver Eagle or Elite Shooting Sports when the weather sucks and I don’t want to shoot outside.

Leper Messiah

Aug 18, 2014
    Thanks for the offer but you're 1-1/2 hrs from me. Im in VA too but down in King George. I just found a guy who 3d prints magwell adapters to fit Colt mags for the Stribog. That might be the deal sealer considering i already have about 20 mags already for my ar9. On the other hand, the ap5-p is pretty damn sweet.

If you’re left handed and want to shoot suppressed, I think the Stribog is the better firearm. Otherwise, I’m never going to try to talk a man out of an MP5 variant. The Stribog is not and never will be a firearm with that pedigree, but it’s really nice.

I’m in Virginia. No need to donate, I’m sure I can find some 115gr locally. I’ve been meaning to test it anyway, and switching locking blocks only takes a second. I dug up some 147 American Eagle when I was cleaning today, so I’ll test that too. That said if you’re willing to drive down to NoVA I’d be happy to meet up at a local range and let you try mine out. Make up your own mind. I typically shoot at Silver Eagle or Elite Shooting Sports when the weather sucks and I don’t want to shoot outside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom