• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    So this is the first year of hunting out of the boat and using a boat blind. It creates challenges for sure especially out in deeper (6ft) water where our lotto site is. I have a 1648 Alumacraft boat and the Avery Quick Set Boat blind. This all came as a package deal from the lease we lost last year and I bought the boat so I can get out and hunt/fish with my boys.

It came with just the blind frame so I purchased the Avery wind blocker and the Shadow Grass Avery camo net for the blind. Used this for the first two hunts and felt like we were sticking out like a sore thumb. Kind of silly because we are in the middle of the cove with land 60 yards away so it sticks out either way.

I wanted to add some grass so I made some brush panels using plastic construction fence but this added a lot of weight and the drag when deployed while slowly moving to pick up a bird the dog didn't see or a runaway decoy. The extra weight & drag caused the mounts to pull free from the seats.

Each of the 4 mounts has 6 holes for self taping screws. They screw into the aluminum seat but it is so thin and there is only Styrofoam underneath. No access to add backing or anything.

Can you weld these metal mounts to the aluminum seat? Anyone have solutions?

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    e655a7674e1e4e0ed3ee148d25000b98.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BUffaloSocks

Dec 2, 2021
    Frederick Co
    Would need someone who can TIG weld for aluminum, but that would work. The seats are 100% fixed where you couldnt get under them, remove the foam, put a bolt through and re-assumble?

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    Would need someone who can TIG weld for aluminum, but that would work. The seats are 100% fixed where you couldnt get under them, remove the foam, put a bolt through and re-assumble?

Thats correct, they bench seats are all riveted into place with no access points under without cutting an access panel to add backing. Thats an alternative but not ideal. My thoughts were to make those lower mounting brackets permanent and then ad a D-Ring or some quick disconnect at that base of the mount and frame of the blind. I would remove the rusty nut and bolt to do that. Or just continue to use the nut and bolt during waterfowl season and remove every season. It is only 4 bolts and once I get the rusted ones off, it shouldnt be too bad to remove them annually and reinstall.

ToBeFree

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2011
    Highland Cnty-Va
    61O4iuCJ3L._SL1500_.jpeg

some of these should do the trick.

Get some steel plate and attach to the seat and then mount the poles to that in whatever fashion you want.
    Spread out the load some.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    For some reason I did not think of this. I have never used a rivet or rivet tool (gun) to attach anything. Are they pretty solid? That would allow for the same thing.

IDK about the size of your holes and available rivet sizes but rivets worked for me on a similar issue. Screws failed and no access. Then again those wall anchor things that someone else posted may work and cheaper.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    If you weld to that it will melt (and probably catch fire) to the foam insulation below it. Use some of the anchor bolts like above. Also, remember to "set" the bolts with marine grade caulk so that water doesn't seep in the holes. Wet insulation adds a lot of weight.

BUffaloSocks

Dec 2, 2021
    Frederick Co
    Good call on the catching fire! Bet the OP isn't into that.

If you want to try rivets but dont want to buy a gun you can borrow one of mine. I am out near Mt Airy/Frederick though which might be a trek for you.

JWBanshee

Jul 1, 2009
    Threaded in serts, like a rivet with threads for a bolt, aluminum or SS, theu work like a charm

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    I should have checked back on this! Just like I didn't think about rivets, I should have enough about the threaded inserts!

I actually went and picked up a Rivet gun and some SS rivets that were actually a perfect fit. Although they are not removeable, I put 4 of 6 in on one side and it feels really solid.

My goal would be to remove the lower bolt and make that a quick disconnect and keep the mounts in place on the boat year round. This way we can tear clothes, sit on them and feel the pain, bend them up.

I will keep you posted but I appreciate the offers and the ideas!

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Rivnuts work good for this. If you install a seat swivel you can rivnut that to the bench seat then you should be able to thread screws into the seat insert. The rivnuts held on my jon boat for a decade and are probably still going strong.

rxcrider

Sep 16, 2017
    Frederick
    Rivnuts are the way to go. You can buy a decent kit off Amazon. I use a Beavertail Blind and did not like the way the front cross member held onto the boat. I added the rivnut and a 5/16 bolt, now the blind is super solid.

Attachments

• BEEC3016-BBCA-461B-BA97-EEAA3D04C669.jpg
      BEEC3016-BBCA-461B-BA97-EEAA3D04C669.jpg
      105.9 KB · Views: 64
    • F702165D-D9A1-46A4-9E18-25AC94991486.jpg
      F702165D-D9A1-46A4-9E18-25AC94991486.jpg
      87.5 KB · Views: 63

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members