• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    What is different between NRA's new Concealed Carry class and the long standing Personal Protection Outside the Home class?

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    The new NRA CCW course is designed to cover all the aspects of concealed carry with emphasis on practical shooting drills. For some states, like Maryland, it is overkill but for others it measures up to state mandated minimums. Most of the drills require strong hand/weak hand and movement while firing at the target.

PPOTH is designed as a more informal class with emphasis on how to conduct concealed carry while in public and what equipment (holsters, ammo, etc) to focus on. A lot of time is spent on looking for concealment and cover.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    When I looked into the hoops to jump through to be able to teach the NRA ccw class I decided it wasn't worth it at this time since I already have developed the Md permit class I teach and it includes much of the same material. Maybe in the future, but not yet.

TD

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I ask because one of the NRA CCW Instructor classes given by a TC said candidates to teach the NRA CCW class would be required to bring their own copy of PPOTH, which I thought was peculiar. I also noted differences that the TCs asked for regarding prerequisites.

After I take this class next month, I will be renewing my BIT and taking the instructor class to add NRA CCW to the list of classes I teach over on the Eastern Shore.

hillbilly grandpa

Jan 26, 2013
    Arnold
    Interestingly, NRA doesn't list prerequisites, even Basic Pistol, the the CCW course. The early sections are the BP curriculum. I took the student course as a prequalifier for the Instructor course. The modularity is useful; I've severely slashed the content of some modules in order to devote more time to other modules. I've allotted much more time to the legal landscape (utilizing an attorney with a practice in criminal law and a background in law enforcement). That's an eye opener. I also devote some time to addressing the process of coming to terms with the psychic/psychological/emotional aspects of stopping a beating heart, and the hard work of being prepared to do so. I have found that I need to devote a lot of drill time to drawing from a holster.

I just completed a renewal class for W&C permit holsters, virtually none of whom had even rudimentary skill in drawing from a holster. And on the range the functional concept of point and shoot was non-existent.

I use the CCW curriculum not because it's superior to the PPOH curriculum; I use it because it's flexible. I'm not so interested in my students learning what I have to teach; I'm working to teach them what they need to learn. For me that's class-specific.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I'm working to teach them what they need to learn. For me that's class-specific.

Exactly. My last class group were all experienced handgun shooters, none of them needed to spend time hearing about cartridge construction or barrel rifling. They needed don't shoot your weak hand and don't leave your ccw in the restroom. Anyone who takes my ccw class has to take a blue gun with them when they use the restroom.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I have run into renewal students with what seem to be no skills many times. Seems some instructors cut many corners, unfortunately.

Interestingly, NRA doesn't list prerequisites, even Basic Pistol, the the CCW course. The early sections are the BP curriculum. I took the student course as a prequalifier for the Instructor course. The modularity is useful; I've severely slashed the content of some modules in order to devote more time to other modules. I've allotted much more time to the legal landscape (utilizing an attorney with a practice in criminal law and a background in law enforcement). That's an eye opener. I also devote some time to addressing the process of coming to terms with the psychic/psychological/emotional aspects of stopping a beating heart, and the hard work of being prepared to do so. I have found that I need to devote a lot of drill time to drawing from a holster.

I just completed a renewal class for W&C permit holsters, virtually none of whom had even rudimentary skill in drawing from a holster. And on the range the functional concept of point and shoot was non-existent.

I use the CCW curriculum not because it's superior to the PPOH curriculum; I use it because it's flexible. I'm not so interested in my students learning what I have to teach; I'm working to teach them what they need to learn. For me that's class-specific.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Sixteen Hours . Way too much for a Fundamental Right , Way too little to develop a comprehensive skill set in a pure newbie .

hillbilly grandpa

Jan 26, 2013
    Arnold
    Sixteen Hours . Way too much for a Fundamental Right , Way too little to develop a comprehensive skill set in a pure newbie .

I agree with both assertions. I also take seriously the predicament we find ourselves in. Both local and state laws and regulations work to dissuade people from acquiring competencies. Then the state imposes training requirements in order for people to exercise a right. It’s in this context that these folks come to us, the reluctant gate-keepers to get their card punched. A great many of them lack skills, and equally as important, a proper mindset.

I do the best I can knowing that 16 hours is not sufficient time to get someone trained, and their head somewhat screwed on right. The best I can do is introduce them to what they’re walking into, hopefully open their eyes to where they are on a training/skills continuum, and motivate them to acknowledge that their life may well depend on the steps they take after this class.

Lately I have been showing the video of the church shooting at the West Freeway Church of Christ in White Settlement, TX. I direct them not to focus on Jack Wilson’s shot, but to focus on the gentleman closer to the front who was killed. His actions were directly contributory to his death. After viewing it twice I ask the class if that’s what they see for themselves. If not, they need to make the time and money commitment to train hard. Because the consequences of failing to train are severe. Some I get through to; some I don’t. That’s where that personal responsibility thing comes in. There’s behavior and there’s consequence; it’s a package deal. That’s how the universe works.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Sorry , no input on PPOH vs CCW . But this is MDS , and the thread had already drifted in training and skills more generally .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom