• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    SYKgWe1.jpg

It had been several months since my vision was good enough to shoot long guns. I let a cataract completely blind me in my right eye before doing anything about it but, two weeks ago I got it fixed and my sight has never been better. I'm sure the Alcon corneal implant has a lot to do with it. Doc recommended it to cure astigmatism and some other issues he discovered during the refraction exam and I agreed because my insurance covered it. Wow. I'm telling ya, the difference is incredible. It's like seeing in ultra-ultra-high definition.

Ns8cht0.jpg

First gun I wanted to take to the range was the Sako Quad Varmint. I had a couple boxes of CCI Standard Velocity that I'd been itching to try but I delayed testing because I just couldn't see well enough. Tuesday was just warm enough and windless enough to finally test the ammo and the new Alcon implant.

sAa4N05.jpg

SK Rifle Match has always been a consistent 50-yard, sub-MOA-capable load in the Quad Varmint. I brought two boxes and two boxes of CCI SV. Conditions were damn good for December: 48F, 0 wind, overcast skies. The five-shot groups above were achieved after shooting 20 fouling-rounds on a cold bore.

Re7rs6N.jpg

CCI Standard Velocity, yowza. Those are some of the better 50-yard groups I have ever shot with the Sako. I didn't really expect much after those first 10 shots in the center for fouling but, I can't dismiss the results. This rifle loves CCI SV.

It's also really nice to be able to see again. The doc wasn't BS'ing me about getting the implant. I'm glad I did! :party29:

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Those groups are Awful! Absolutely Terrible!

But, in the spirit of Christmas, and for today only mind you, I'll take that offending rig off your hands, and for the exceedingly generous sum of 50 Cents on the Dollar!

(NICE shootin! :))

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    The doctor probably warned you about this, but be prepared for your vision to blur slightly or yellow a bit in a few months. It happens to most people but its easily fixed.

There is a clear 'capsule' or envelope your natural lens fits in. After they remove your defective natural lens and place the implant, the part behind your implant can start to turn yellow.

This is easily fixed with a laser that focuses on the yellowed tissue and cuts an upside down U shape so the yellowed flap falls down out of your vision. If you have to have it done it can be taken care of in one visit in less than an hour.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Thanks all! Appreciate the info, BF. That is definitely good to know. No, Dr. McGann didn't mention it but I'll be sure to bring it up when I see him again in January.

UD, I really appreciate the offer. I know I can always count on you to step-up!

rehtlaw

Nov 28, 2009
    So. MD. area
    Before I had mine done I could not see thru any type of small hole (peep sight size) always looked like a kind of spider web was in it. Now that I had them both done it is all clear.
    As a bonus headlights at night dont look like a starburst and almost blind me.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Dang I'm boring .

Just had my DOT , and my original equipment eyeball on my dominant hand side was 20/20 .

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg

I have cataracts in both eyes but too small for correcting.
    This is good news to me.
    Thank you for this encouraging post.

Skip, thank you for your service. My dad who abruptly passed away two mornings ago at age 73 was 101 and then B Co. 123rd Avn. Bn. Warlords Aeroscouts. served there 66-68

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Skip, thank you for your service. My dad who abruptly passed away two mornings ago at age 73 was 101 and then B Co. 123rd Avn. Bn. Warlords Aeroscouts. served there 66-68

Condolences, my friend. Very sorry for your loss. I was about 5 years too young for Vietnam but just about every lifer in my unit, E-6 and above, had done some time in the jungle. They taught me land nav. How to shoot a tangent, do a pace-count and (most importantly) read a contour map and not get lost in the damn woods. They were awesome teachers. :patriot:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom