• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If he shortens the ejector, the case will stay on the extractor longer and will eject at the rear of the port. If it is timed correctly, it will eject into the rear of the port which should sent it outward. Well, that's what I would try anyway. :D

That makes sense to me John :thumbsup:

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I went to the range today and shot the AR45 again. I switched from a 10 ounce to a 7.5 ounce. It seemed to run better and the recoil was noticeably less. Did not get any FTF's. Tamer recoil too.

EDIT - course I am reading that if anything, I should be using a heavier buffer and that a heavier buffer is less recoil (?)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I went to the range today and shot the AR45 again. I switched from a 10 ounce to a 7.5 ounce. It seemed to run better and the recoil was noticeably less. Did not get any FTF's. Tamer recoil too.

EDIT - course I am reading that if anything, I should be using a heavier buffer and that a heavier buffer is less recoil (?)

ARs are funny critters. Too much this can cause the same symptoms as not enough this. That's why we all end up with deep extra parts bins. The heavy(yet lighter) buffer is giving you less precipitating mass to feel. That could also indicate that the buffer spring was too weak for the 10oz buffer. It's always a balancing act.

How did your brass react to the change?

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    ARs are funny critters. Too much this can cause the same symptoms as not enough this. That's why we all end up with deep extra parts bins. The heavy(yet lighter) buffer is giving you less precipitating mass to feel. That could also indicate that the buffer spring was too weak for the 10oz buffer. It's always a balancing act.

Looks about the same.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

I think the brass thing is minor, as you and others have noted. I still need to try some more "typical" 45 ACP ammo.

One other thing (never ends). The bolt (I guess) is bending the front lip of the magazine; not sure what combination of events causes it. It's only after I have shot several mags that I notice. It's bent to the point of being difficult to remove. But then I bend it back and it's fine. So maybe try another bolt???

Well at least it runs w/o jamming.

And the last round bolt hold open works.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Nobody should shoot a direct blowback PCC these days. There are some solid options for delayed-blowback guns.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I think the brass thing is minor, as you and others have noted. I still need to try some more "typical" 45 ACP ammo.

One other thing (never ends). The bolt (I guess) is bending the front lip of the magazine; not sure what combination of events causes it. It's only after I have shot several mags that I notice. It's bent to the point of being difficult to remove. But then I bend it back and it's fine. So maybe try another bolt???

Well at least it runs w/o jamming.

And the last round bolt hold open works.

Make sure your mag catch is properly seating and locking.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Nobody should shoot a direct blowback PCC these days. There are some solid options for delayed-blowback guns.

That being said; my Foxtrot Mike 9mm runs rather well and has good accuracy, esp. for an AR9. Only issue was a firing pin the FM9 replaced and no issues ever since. Low recoil, and fairly quiet compared to an AR.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    That being said; my Foxtrot Mike 9mm runs rather well and has good accuracy, esp. for an AR9. Only issue was a firing pin the FM9 replaced and no issues ever since. Low recoil, and fairly quiet compared to an AR.

Nice. They look like a good gun.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Attachments

• 200.gif
      200.gif
      436.1 KB · Views: 69

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Make sure your mag catch is properly seating and locking.

Ok - I think figured out what is going on here WRT the front lip of magazine getting bent forward;

1. Shooting on bench, gun resting on mag.
    2. When last round chambers, mag can now push up just a smidge, bolt hits it.

Solution - don't push up on mag while shooting.

Better solution - stay away from Glock style mags for PCC. I REALLY REALLY wish I had got a lower made for M&P or Colt style mags. Double stack pistol mags don't seem to be optimal for an AR lower.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Ok - I think figured out what is going on here WRT the front lip of magazine getting bent forward;

1. Shooting on bench, gun resting on mag.
    2. When last round chambers, mag can now push up just a smidge, bolt hits it.

Solution - don't push up on mag while shooting.

Better solution - stay away from Glock style mags for PCC. I REALLY REALLY wish I had got a lower made for M&P or Colt style mags. Double stack pistol mags don't seem to be optimal for an AR lower.

That can be the problem. One thing I've learned about ALL AR9s is, do not use the mag as a bi-pod(or mono pod). Doing that tends to cause feed/function problems(in most mag fed guns also). Doing so while firing will, especially in ARs, change the feed angle inside the chamber as you fire(and subsequent recoil), resulting in all kinds of mischief.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom