Is a 22LR or 25ACP Better for SELF-DEFENCE?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CAS_Shooter

Jan 24, 2012
    I'm glad this debate was finally settled(/sarcasm).

I side with Steelteacher.

FHJ69

Mar 13, 2011
    Upper PDRMC
    Forty years ago when I was a manager for a fast food restaurant chain I had a Beretta 950BS Jetfire in .25 ACP. When I was the closing manager I would keep in with me. I wasn't worried about stopping crime in the streets but if we were held up and being marched back into the walk-in refrigerator I figured I would have nothing to lose at that point (that exact thing happened to a Roy Rogers crew a few years earlier in NOVA). I knew having a pistol was against the rules and could have gotten me dismissed but I made that decision willingly.

I also knew to try and use something as effective as possible. I carried was was supposedly the best .25 ammunition available on the market at the time...the Winchester load with a BB in the nose which was allegedly to help the bullet expand. As it was, the restaurant was help up one night but I wasn't working...no one was hurt.

Later I bought some .25 ammunition since banned as it's supposed to penetrate body armor. I purchased it prior to the ban and still have it...can't sell or otherwise transfer it due to it being a violation so I guess it's just a curiosity now. Maybe I should simply shoot it up.

25-acp-ammo.jpg

25-acp-pps.jpg

Wow! I have a bunch of that ammo too. I had no idea that it was banned.

Wardove

Jul 23, 2017
    Blairsville, GA
    Now that I am legalized in Georgia and encouraged by the sheriff…it depends how I am dressed what I routinely carry. Quick run to the store and it’s a Guardian 32 in my pocket. Feel a little more formal, the 365 Sig on my belly. Maybe going to the woods, Glock 27. Going to the woods, Springfield XDm elite 10 mm. Probably a rifle in the truck too. I do have a couple of the North American 22s that my wife uses for earrings.

Bohemian

Nov 7, 2009
    IMHO .380 ACP (9mm short) is the bare minimum for self preservation from other humans. You can get some pretty hot .380 defense rounds.

Unless you're close enough to shove the barrel up the perps nose or in their eye or ear... forget about anything less than a .380 ACP.

Old Salt

Nov 27, 2007
    Bel Air
    Belly Gun

The only pistols I've ever fired using the .25acp were junk. The cartridge may be reliable but the pistols that fire them aren't. Are there any quality .25acp pistols?

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    The only pistols I've ever fired using the .25acp were junk. The cartridge may be reliable but the pistols that fire them aren't. Are there any quality .25acp pistols?

In my limited experience with .25 pistols the Beretta Jetfire was and is completely reliable. Many years ago I had a RG26 in .25...it may have been a cheaply made pistol but it always worked. There's also the early Seecamp .25 but they're more a collectible now than anything when you can find one.

The only .25 I have now is a Colt 1908 Vest Pocket which I've yet to try out. Too many others to shoot first.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

My Colt 1908 is very reliable, and surprisingly accurate.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    What John said , plus :

Regular and Baby Browning
    Bauer - Clone of Baby in stainless
    Most Astra .
    Colt Junior was a rebadged Astra . Same pistol also sold by Astra , and as the FIE BEST

10mmAuto

Feb 22, 2013
    Are .25 ACP Pistols still legal in MD ?

I have a few Walther .25 ACP Pistols I'd like to sell -- are these small "25 acp pocket/vest" pistols still legal to own/sell in MD to a MD buyer?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The Handgun Roster only applies to guns manufactured after the enactment of the Roster , in 1994-ish . Your older Walthers would be unaffected .

10mmAuto

Feb 22, 2013
    Thanks -- good to know. I'll be posting several firearms on GB after 1st of the year -- search username Colonial_Oak. I am happy to work with MD buyers to limit xfer and shipping fees, via MSP and/or Local FFL for the xfer, it its worth the effort.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    For those making a call on center-fire vs rimfire, just remember that the .25 ACP is NOT the smallest centerfire pistol caliber. If you want to be super-fly and spend $200 per round (if you can find it), you can go with 2.7 x 9mm Kolibri.

The centerfire primer alone fired the 3-grain, 10-caliber unjacketed lead bullet that headspaces at the chamber, generating a blistering 650-fps when it left the muzzle. The round only generated about 3ft/lbs of energy at its most powerful, which meant it could bounce off thick clothing. For reference, the 9.6-grain Gamo Rocket .177 caliber airgun pellet when fired from a quality air rifle at 800fps generates 17.92 ft. /lbs of energy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom