• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Just in front of the hand guard is a switch you can turn to adjust the gas block for suppressed or not suppressed fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's just an adjustable gas block. Is that what they call it? Unless I had a specific use for it and absolutely needed it, I would swap that out immediately.

OP, if it does have proprietary parts and adjustable gas block I would definitely find another option. One of the benefits of the platform is the ability to swap out parts easily and not needing to rely on the original manufacturer. LWRC is a great company but you never know what can happen in the gun industry.

Larry David

Jul 1, 2013
    Carroll County
    I have both the LWRC DI in mlok and the Zion15.

Both are excellent rifles and you can't go wrong with either. For whatever its worth, the LWRC does come with some nice upgrades over the IWI like ambi controls and a better than milspec trigger.

One thing thing to consider is what type of ammo do you plan on feeding your rifle? IWI has a 1:8 twist while the LWRC has 1:7 if you care about that.

Thanks for your feedback. Regarding ammo I’ll be using Speer .223 64 grain predominately, well over 50% of the time, then Federal 55 grain. After that would be a mixed bag of whatever I have on hand. But the Speer 64 grain will be the go to round.

Larry David

Jul 1, 2013
    Carroll County
    I picked up the IWI Zion 15 this morning at Masada Tactical. Briefly fondled the rifle and picked out a few other goodies. The build quality looks very good. Better than the price might indicate. Not as slick as the LWRC but damn good. I didn’t want to possibly have to cross the proprietary parts bridge of the LWRC someday so that was a significant element in the decision making.

I can put some of the money saved for a new trigger if need be. Mounting the optic and back up sights on the IWI sometime this week.

Check out Masada Tactical if you haven’t already. Great place to do business. Very helpful.

Thank you all for the helpful responses.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I picked up the IWI Zion 15 this morning at Masada Tactical. Briefly fondled the rifle and picked out a few other goodies. The build quality looks very good. Better than the price might indicate. Not as slick as the LWRC but damn good. I didn’t want to possibly have to cross the proprietary parts bridge of the LWRC someday so that was a significant element in the decision making.

I can put some of the money saved for a new trigger if need be. Mounting the optic and back up sights on the IWI sometime this week.

Check out Masada Tactical if you haven’t already. Great place to do business. Very helpful.

Congrats on a nice new rifle and good on you for supporting an IP.

Jun 17, 2014

Thanks for your support. For an aftermarket trigger, check out the Larue MBT. They're really great $100 triggers.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    The MBT ain't $100 anymore. Still a great value. I have two.

No - they're $99.

https://www.larue.com/products/larue-tactical-mbt-2s-trigger/

:rolleyes:

Great triggers - but I still give the nod to Geissele. The MBT is definitely the "next best thing", but the take-up is measurably less on a Geissele and the break is slightly cleaner. The trigger on the Geissele also feels better against my finger (personal preference). The MBT has a wider trigger shoe which just doesn't feel as good to me.

Even the 2 stage Geisseles feel like single stage when operated quickly. Not so with the MBT.

Can't go wrong, but I'd prob fork over the extra $ for a G2S.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Not that G doesn't make a nice trigger, but I am not into their new ones. Their original stuff looked to be all edm cut. Their new parts appear to have a lot of MIM or cast bits and bobs. The larue I just installed in a buddy's rig seems to still be edm. There are great MIM parts out there but doing such a change on the down low doesn't make me think it was to offer a better product at the same price point....more likely to reduce costs.

Anyone with other info please feel free to tell me my eyes and loupe are lying to me. This is just my opinion and observation.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    No - they're $99.

https://www.larue.com/products/larue-tactical-mbt-2s-trigger/

:rolleyes:

Great triggers - but I still give the nod to Geissele. The MBT is definitely the "next best thing", but the take-up is measurably less on a Geissele and the break is slightly cleaner. The trigger on the Geissele also feels better against my finger (personal preference). The MBT has a wider trigger shoe which just doesn't feel as good to me.

Even the 2 stage Geisseles feel like single stage when operated quickly. Not so with the MBT.

Can't go wrong, but I'd prob fork over the extra $ for a G2S.

Larue isn't very consistent. They must have just changed that price. I paid $120+tax & shipping two months ago. Plus, they were $87 just before I bought.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Not that G doesn't make a nice trigger, but I am not into their new ones. Their original stuff looked to be all edm cut. Their new parts appear to have a lot of MIM or cast bits and bobs. The larue I just installed in a buddy's rig seems to still be edm. There are great MIM parts out there but doing such a change on the down low doesn't make me think it was to offer a better product at the same price point....more likely to reduce costs.

Anyone with other info please feel free to tell me my eyes and loupe are lying to me. This is just my opinion and observation.

The Geissele G2S triggers are not MIM. What you are seeing is casting marks. They intentionally left out the finishing steps of noncritical surfaces in order to drive costs down.

Cruised a few forums and found some supporting info.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?6345-Geissele-trigger-metal-question/page7

Post #61

Geissele triggers are made through investment casting and them finished/polished. The G2S skips a few of these final steps.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    The Geissele G2S triggers are not MIM. What you are seeing is casting marks. They intentionally left out the finishing steps of noncritical surfaces in order to drive costs down.

Cruised a few forums and found some supporting info.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?6345-Geissele-trigger-metal-question/page7

Post #61

Geissele triggers are made through investment casting and them finished/polished. The G2S skips a few of these final steps.

Yeah. I said mim or cast based on appearance. One of their (now former) employees many years ago at a match told me they were all cut (correct at the time, it would seem). No longer the case as confirmed by your above info. Conversation started with him giving me crap about my Jewell trigger in a gasgun. I still have Jewell and larue.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Maybe it's me, but I just want the trigger to make the primer pop. Good old mil-spec that does it consistently is plenty good for me.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Maybe it's me, but I just want the trigger to make the primer pop. Good old mil-spec that does it consistently is plenty good for me.

I’m a trigger geek. I love smooth, crisp triggers. My love for firearms is more engineering and function than shooting. I like shooting. I love the mechanics of firearms.

Larry David

Jul 1, 2013
    Carroll County
    First day at the range

Zeroed the Troy Battle Sights and the Burris AR-332 w/ Fastfire 3. I’m very satisfied with the IWI Z15. Shoots straight, nice groups with the Speer 55 grain. I couldn’t have asked for more from a $900 rifle. I think you get a lot more for the $900. 140 total rounds today.

Also, no need to rush out for a new trigger. This trigger felt very good. No gritty feeling, very little take up and very nice break. Not squishy at all. I think IWI has done something to this trigger. Feels better than my newly issued M&P 15T II, and both my Windam’s. Thanks again to Masada Tactical and all the great responses to my initial post.

Attachments

• E746D9DB-C9A4-4BA8-A12D-0F37C120AC00.jpg
      E746D9DB-C9A4-4BA8-A12D-0F37C120AC00.jpg
      28.7 KB · Views: 223

MaierApril

Oct 17, 2017
    That's great to hear. As much as I love my IWI, my trigger had a lot of grit. Swapped out to an ALG ACT trigger

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom